Roaches sunrise

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Drove up to Stoke-on-Trent yesterday and made a detour to the Roaches. I should have got there 1/2 hour sooner as I had just parked the car to see the amazing view in pic 1. Had no time to climb to a better location as the 2nd pic was literally taken 5 minutes later. Ah well, another excuse to go back.

Hen Cloud, Sunrise by PCPhilpot, on Flickr

Hen Cloud, Dawn by PCPhilpot, on Flickr

Last edited:
Both of those are really nice (y) I have to say for me the stand out one is the first (y) it looks brilliant :clap: I would however say that both of them would be improved by taking all the little modern lift elements out of them (i.e. the signs) I think that would then give the photo's a timeless quality (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Great atmosphere in #1 Phil I bet you where happy when that was unfolding before your eyes :) I think Matt also has a good point regarding the signs etc

Great shot of Hen Cloud there, not too hard a walk to the top either.

Great shots! No 1 is the better for me (y)

This will be definately on my 'to do ' list as only live a couple of miles from here and just did not realise the potential of the place!!!

Hen Cloud is a personal favourite of mine. Love that first shot.

Wow, what a location. And this is at stoke? May have to take a trip up there..... :)

Compositionally I like first shot better - the second shot had the road clipped on the left and I feel its a little bunched up in the middle. But the tonal range and light on the second shot is exquisite.

Oooo, need to view these on a big screen as opposed to my phone, as it looks like these ate quite special :)

EDIT: Viewed on the laptop I really like these shots. The tonal range is excellent, although I'm finding the sun highlight in the first shot just a tad too yellow for some reason. But great shots nonetheless and a beautiful location :)

Last edited:
Nice - me likey very much :clap:

I spend some time in Stone, my brother lives there, could you give me a clue as to where this area can be found?? Im up again end of January

Thanks in advance

Les (y)

It's just off the A53 Leek-Buxton road, about 4 miles north of Leek. Take a left when you reach Upper Hulme village.

A very popular spot for rock climbers, but if you want to get to the top the easy way, you can either use the staircase cut into the rocks, or the paths round the back. Outstanding views from the top.

http://www.roaches.org.uk/

It's just off the A53 Leek-Buxton road, about 4 miles north of Leek. Take a left when you reach Upper Hulme village.

A very popular spot for rock climbers, but if you want to get to the top the easy way, you can either use the staircase cut into the rocks, or the paths round the back. Outstanding views from the top.

http://www.roaches.org.uk/

Link bookmarked - looks a great place for a photo trip (y)

Back