weekly Robhooley167's Film 52 for 2012 - They think it's all over, it is now...

Excellent!.....looking forward to seeing them.

So am i :) It will be interesting to see what kodak gold 400 looks like after being developed in rodinal :D *Gets labcoat and goggles*

So am i :) *Gets labcoat and goggles*

Not forgetting protective gloves of course.....Good to see someone else uses goggles along with other protective gear....nasty stuff those chems!

Well i've not died from Rodinal poisoning just yet ;) Always a bonus :D

Those cranes always fascinate me.....even though I've seen many, I've yet to be in the right place at the right time to see them erected or dismantled.....i have a vague understanding of how it is done but nonetheless I still wish to actually witness it.
Was that a handheld shot Rob? Looks pretty sharp to me(y) and the exposure spot on.
Looks like a typical UK cloudy sky too!

I find it quite interesting watching them swing through the sky :) It was handheld yes, the negative itself isnt especially sharp though, having some issues with my scanner being very soft :( Oh yes it was cloudy for most of the day, at least you could lock exposure for every shot :D

Week 8 - Tourist

Scan-120312-0005.jpg

Been done a million times but hey

Last edited:
I really like your portrait shaped landscape, I think it really works well.

Cracking shot Rob, love the perspective that you've taken.
The people (tourists) giving an excellent sense of scale.
These pics may interest you:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=387077

They scans from some old glass plates that I obtained when in the UK of Tower bridge

The buses crossing the bridge in the second shot place the period 1920's / 1930's

Not knowing the area very well I'm not sure which bank the shots were taken from.

I really like your portrait shaped landscape, I think it really works well.

Thanks Nick :)

Cracking shot Rob, love the perspective that you've taken.
The people (tourists) giving an excellent sense of scale.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=387077

They scans from some old glass plates that I obtained when in the UK of Tower bridge

The buses crossing the bridge in the second shot place the period 1920's / 1930's

Not knowing the area very well I'm not sure which bank the shots were taken from.

Thanks Asha, i wouldnt know which bank either tbh, i can count the number of times ive been to London on one hand :nuts:

Week 9 - Contrast
I liked the contrast between the modern glassy building and the nice old one next to each other, bit of a now and then shot.

Scan-120312-0018.jpg

Last edited:
That's not unlike down here Rob, plenty of old buildings tucked in amongst modern architecture......Does make a good contrasting picture.
The glass covered building looks so much like the childrens hospital located on Nice promenade ...quite uncanny really!
I bet you could get a good reflection shot from that modern building depending what is located opposite it.....worth a shot do you think??

That's not unlike down here Rob, plenty of old buildings tucked in amongst modern architecture......Does make a good contrasting picture.
The glass covered building looks so much like the childrens hospital located on Nice promenade ...quite uncanny really!
I bet you could get a good reflection shot from that modern building depending what is located opposite it.....worth a shot do you think??

It was on the north bank of the Thames, just near Tower Bridge. On the other side of the bank is some converted warehouses :)

I'm pretty sure they are taken from the north bank of the Thames looking east.

It was on the north bank of the Thames, just near Tower Bridge. On the other side of the bank is some converted warehouses :)

I've got quite a few shots taken round that area, always good for a few reflections and contrasty shots, and I like this one.

I'm pretty sure they are taken from the north bank of the Thames looking east.

Correctamundo

I've got quite a few shots taken round that area, always good for a few reflections and contrasty shots, and I like this one.

Yeah it's a good area for that kind of shot, lots of old buildings scattered between new ones :)

Week 10 - Experiment

This is a bit of a bizarre one, Kodak Gold 400 (C-41 Process) developed in Rodinal
Scanned as colour negative

Street Art - Brick street by Rob Hooley, on Flickr

Last edited:
Agree with Jim as to the effect suits the subject matter.

I've never devd C-41 process so tbh i wouldn't know if this type of result is typical.

Liking the content and composition....looks like you have some talented grafitti artists in your area!

For this particular shot the purple/ green blotch finishes works .......Not sure a portrait would quite take to it though :eek: :D :D

Agree with Jim as to the effect suits the subject matter.

I've never devd C-41 process so tbh i wouldn't know if this type of result is typical.

Liking the content and composition....looks like you have some talented grafitti artists in your area!

For this particular shot the purple/ green blotch finishes works .......Not sure a portrait would quite take to it though :eek: :D :D

Its not something i intend to do very often :D When i took this i was trying to finish the roll off so i could put in a proper black and white film ;)
It was in quite a trendy area of London so there was quite a lot of graffiti like this. They are good, but no Banksy :)

Its not something i intend to do very often :D When i took this i was trying to finish the roll off so i could put in a proper black and white film ;)
It was in quite a trendy area of London so there was quite a lot of graffiti like this. They are good, but no Banksy :)

" PROPER black and white film" ...made me smirk!:D

Taking another look at the shot reminds of some old colour film that I devd iin B&W chems....theye came out with a purple tint....scanned em b&w though.

My local shop is shifting some almost OOD fuji colour film dirt cheap...could be tempted if I can recall how to cross process :thinking:....was a long time ago and my memory just isn't what it was when i were young!!:D :D :D

Taking another look at the shot reminds of some old colour film that I devd iin B&W chems....theye came out with a purple tint....scanned em b&w though.

Thats what i did, it was a colour film but i used Rodinal to develop it. I wouldnt mind having the kit to do proper C-41 or E-6 developing though :nuts:

I wouldnt mind having the kit to do proper C-41 or E-6 developing though :nuts:

Me too!

I don't know much about it tbh . I think C-41 demands higher and more consistent temps.

Is it just the dev that is different ??

If I could use the same stop/fixer as for b&w then I might buy a some dev and give it a try.

If it's a complete different mix of chems then it probably wouldn't be worth the expense!

The developer and Fixer are different, the fixer has bleach mixed in to get rid of the black and white image and leave the colour behind

C-41 is very fussy with regard to temperature, has to be accurate to sub-degree levels apparently

The developer and Fixer are different, the fixer has bleach mixed in to get rid of the black and white image and leave the colour behind

C-41 is very fussy with regard to temperature, has to be accurate to sub-degree levels apparently

The temp could be the main prob then.....Would be interested to know if anyone else has managed to do C-41 using a patterson daylight tank in a typical amature bathroom style lab set up and how they got on with it.

The temp could be the main prob then.....Would be interested to know if anyone else has managed to do C-41 using a patterson daylight tank in a typical amature bathroom style lab set up and how they got on with it.

I believe TheBigYin does it himself. Some people use JOBO processors which i keep getting tempted by :love:

After a long hiatus, here comes week 11 :) a bit of medium format macro with a wide angle lens :nuts:

Scan-120417-0003-Edit.jpg

RB67 with Acros 100
50mm at about f11
Developed in Neofin Blue

Setup shot

c65afe16.jpg

Ive never done macros before, not completely happy with the result but not bad for a first time :)

Week 12 - The writing on the wall

Cow and calf rocks in Ilkley, just walking around the area you can see peoples names and dates carved into the rocks, the earliest we found was 1854

Scan-120416-0002.jpg

Yet again RB67 with Fuji Acros 100 in Neofin Blue
50mm at f16

Week 13 - Blot on the landscape

The Shard, London

Scan-120416-0001.jpg

Mamiya RB67, Acros 100
The mirrored viewfinder, a few beers at lunchtime and being hassled by the rest of the guys meant i put the ND filter in the wrong way :bang:

A nice piece of kit you look to have there Rob (y)

I'd agree you're macro shot is a very good first attempt......the OOF edges makes the eye draw more to the sharp detail on the petals.

Cow & Calf.....I really like this one...the angle at which you've shot it with the light / shadows showing off the inscriptons in the rock ....you didn't leave a "Rob was ere 2012" then ?? :D

To say you're half canned when you shoot some of these you do quite well ..I remember week 1 was taken when you were under the influence too!:D I like the lead in with week 13. Maybe a little too much of an expanse of water makes the shard look a little lost although at the same time it gives perspective. Keeping tower bridge in the scene makes up for it. The sky has a distinct stormy look about it......caused by the missplaced filter??....works quite well though. (y)

A nice piece of kit you look to have there Rob (y)

I'd agree you're macro shot is a very good first attempt......the OOF edges makes the eye draw more to the sharp detail on the petals.

Cow & Calf.....I really like this one...the angle at which you've shot it with the light / shadows showing off the inscriptons in the rock ....you didn't leave a "Rob was ere 2012" then ?? :D

To say you're half canned when you shoot some of these you do quite well ..I remember week 1 was taken when you were under the influence too!:D I like the lead in with week 13. Maybe a little too much of an expanse of water makes the shard look a little lost although at the same time it gives perspective. Keeping tower bridge in the scene makes up for it. The sky has a distinct stormy look about it......caused by the missplaced filter??....works quite well though. (y)

Thanks for the kind comments Asha, i sodding love my RB67 :love: It's pig ugly and heavy as a heavy thing but it delivers fantastic results (y)

I've taken a few more macros with it since this roll and i'm curious to see if i've done any better :)

Alas i didn't leave my mark, i didn't have a chisel with me, the RB would have done the job of a hammer pretty well ;) i would have liked to get a larger depth of field to get some more detail in the trees and the hills in the background.

Yes i admit to seeing a trend here... :beer: I put the filter on the right hand 1/3 of the image so it looks darker on that side, i would have liked to have retained some more detail in the warehouses on the left, but you win everything :nuts: :nuts:

Week 15 - Time flies

3 minute exposure with Adox 25
The big shadow in the middle is the camera

Scan-120421-0006-Edit.jpg

The perspective is a bit off, hence why the clock looks wonky

Week 16 - Pensive

Scan-120422-0010.jpg

HP5 shot as 800
Fairly heavy crop
Lightleaks have now been fixed and the camera is working properly :)

Week 17 - Darkroom portrait

Scan-120422-0002.jpg

Shot with the red safe-light as the source of illumination
HP5 at 3200

Week 14.....Brings back memories of miles trecked over the hills of the UK and many a night slept out, some in the shadow of Ribblehead viaduct.
You fell lucky not to have people in the shot. Maybe it's a little early in the season....I recall it to be very busy around there in the summer.
They used to occasionally have steam trains pass over the viaduct....I bet that is quite a sight and and excellent photo to be had....
You have captured superb detail in the stonework....makes one think of the many men who grafted so hard to build that viaduct.

Week 15 Time flies ...I love the originality of this one. The shadow and perspective don't cause me a problem at all. By doing a long exposure, the minute hand of the clock really gives a sense of how fast time whizzes by..

Weeks 16 & 17. Portraits. Both work even though they are not portrait orientation. I like grain in film portrait shots ...why I don't know but it seems to add an edge to the shot especially when the subject is lit from the side.
To think of a panoramic orientated portrait immediatley screams "no it can't work" but the way in which the guys shoulders almost fill the frame and the cropping of his hair actually suits the wide format imo

Right, now we come to a break in the proceedings, Exam time at Uni :( Still going to take the camera out but i wont get any devving or scanning done until i finish in early June. Should have plenty of time to catch up over Summer :)

Week 14.....Brings back memories of miles trecked over the hills of the UK and many a night slept out, some in the shadow of Ribblehead viaduct.
You fell lucky not to have people in the shot. Maybe it's a little early in the season....I recall it to be very busy around there in the summer.
They used to occasionally have steam trains pass over the viaduct....I bet that is quite a sight and and excellent photo to be had....
You have captured superb detail in the stonework....makes one think of the many men who grafted so hard to build that viaduct.

Week 15 Time flies ...I love the originality of this one. The shadow and perspective don't cause me a problem at all. By doing a long exposure, the minute hand of the clock really gives a sense of how fast time whizzes by..

Weeks 16 & 17. Portraits. Both work even though they are not portrait orientation. I like grain in film portrait shots ...why I don't know but it seems to add an edge to the shot especially when the subject is lit from the side.
To think of a panoramic orientated portrait immediatley screams "no it can't work" but the way in which the guys shoulders almost fill the frame and the cropping of his hair actually suits the wide format imo

Thanks for the comments Asha (y)

It was busy on the week 14 shot, i spent about 15 minutes waiting for a group of schoolchildren in their minibus to leave before i consigned the shot to film, as a result i had plenty of time to meter and compose properly :D

Week 15, i think a reshoot may be in order for this, maybe in colour to bring the dark wood colour out a bit?

Week 16 and 17, i rarely shoot portraits, im more of a landscape person. Most of my favourite portraits ive done have been in landscape orientation. I try to place the persons head on one of the third lines or on the "golden proportion" line, gives them a bit more negative space which i prefer over cramped head and shoulders shots. The shape of week 16 may be down due to my liking for nearly square format, such as my 6x7 shots and my future yearnings for 5x4

Much as Carl Zeiss lenses tempt me, i dont think i could go for a 6x6 Hasselblad, i feel like i would be cheating on my RB67 with a slimmer, lighter model ;)

Week 18 - Shafted

Just got my Jobo rotary processor for doing C-41 so i thought i should give it a few tries with black and white, first try and i discover the reels are a little harder to load than the Patterson ones I'm used to. The film touched and half of the roll isnt developed, the stuff that is developed is fine. Sods law that the photos i wanted were on the areas which didnt develop :(

Scan-120606-0001.jpg

Ilford HP5 in 1+50 Rodinal, constant agitation for 8.45 mins
didnt even bother PPing it as it wouldnt have made up for the fact that 50% of the photo isnt there...

Last edited:
Week 19 - Cabin Fever...

Self portrait time again, revision had driven me stir crazy by this point and i was about to crack if i had to learn any more about fluid and heat flow :nuts:

Scan-120606-0002.jpg

Simple setup, Camera on tripod at eye level (don't remember which camera) lit from roof light and monitor. Self timer
Devved in 1+50 Rodinal

Week 20 - Uncovered

Since i moved in to my student house last September I've never noticed the pattern on the cushion on my chair, it's always been covered up by something or other and never thought anything of it, took a test photo when i was moving out for the summer and liked it, whacked a bit of contrast in in Lightroom. Adds to the depressed and unloved look of this very comfortable but aesthetically lacking chair :D

Scan-120606-0003.jpg

Ilford PanF 1+50 Rodinal
Same camera as week 19

Back