Critique Roe doe

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
My lass is terribly vunerable to this virus ,so since lockdown we haven't been out much at all,a handful of times since chrimbo . We went to nab some supplies and I stuffed the camera in the bus in the forlorn hope I might get a chance on the way home of an image or two.

Amazingly lady luck was on my side. i've known of this roe haunt for years they hang around a corer of a wood boarded by two roads. It's a fairly quite spot but these deer do see folks walk past them , so as I found out are not quite as bonkers as my normal quarry. I parked bus up quietly walked back past them behind a thick hedge until I found a spot where I could get a view point. Ha essentially I crawled along one of their runs and then shot off a dry stone wall through a load of blackthorn. Not the most comfortable shooting position but workable. She also had her lad with her whom i made images of first. Funny they could hear the shutter racket ,but they didn't spook ,infact mum was very curious. It was really good she kept coming back to work out what she was hearing Maybe I was with them for 3/4 of an hour, shooting the last rays of the day. This is up in the cotswolds................. it's really hard finding places where the last rays of the day catch roe up there, so this was a wonderful find and to also have a bit of time with them made it amazing for me . There is also a buck about ,i'm hoping to catch up with them again when there is another chance of some lovely light.

This is a fair crop my levels were shocking and she's between two fence posts which were unappealing . I'd love thoughts on the presentation be brutal if needed I don't really freak out about such things I'd just rather. your honest opinion I struggle with post so am very open to thoughts

1dxii 400doisii 560mm 1/ 400 f 5.6 ISO 6400

Good fun and unreal to get such a cool chance after so long being locked in. i've had me head down making a camper van interior so have barely had the camera in my hand since chrimbo, So i'm more than a little rusty. I'll try and get her boy up once i've finished agonizing over the PP

take care ya'll thanks for reading

stu

_S2I8353 I hear you smj Tdn by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Great to see you've managed to get out with the 1DXii + 400 DO mate after such a long time, and I hope Shaz is OK (y)

Nice sharpness on the image, Stu, and great eye contact and dof - but there isn't much contrast in the image and it looks to have a slight blue-ish tint to my aging eyes.

Looking forward to seeing the buck in due course!

Take care mate

Russ :)

Roe's my favourite deer, Stu. Not many where I am unfortunately. Lovely capture!

Mine too Des a challenge to get close to and make images of ,our true lowland native and a completely off the wall breeding statergy,I really love them Des.

i'm blessed here Des they have been alongside us here for 30plus years, but a local baby forest has meant the population is exploding close to home. I can see them from my window but can't access because of the virus,silly frustrating I think my record for sightings is 26 on one walk from home,sure there will be the odd double sighting. But We have never had anything like these numbers here before. Ha it's driving me nuts mate !

Great to see you've managed to get out with the 1DXii + 400 DO mate after such a long time, and I hope Shaz is OK (y)

Nice sharpness on the image, Stu, and great eye contact and dof - but there isn't much contrast in the image and it looks to have a slight blue-ish tint to my aging eyes.

Looking forward to seeing the buck in due course!

Take care mate

Russ :)

Russ forgive me I'm off to be vacinated, must dash I'll come back later mate, thanks for the above............. I'm half preying to find another while out but it#s dull grey here I could scream

take care both

stu

Russ ahh bless ya ........ she's good...... thanks for asking new meds seem to be helping hope Trish isn't still suffering with that arm:( but yup all good here bar stu not toggin enough :LOL: But needs must We'll have a ball later in the year if I finish that van.(y)

Russ I shot right through a cloudy sunset with the sun somewhere behind me ,but no idea when the sun actually set. I'd lay a bet this image was made post sundown which might, I repeat might ,account for the blue.? It could equally be my editing:LOL:

I think your old eyes are spot on mate, I'm not sure whether the above is representing what I saw especially with my post skills I also should have pushed the ISO further EXP ain't great but wasn't this fun . I make more than my share of roe images but don't often spend 3/4 of an hour with the same individuals,ahh mate this was really special after so long. out of it all.

I had a brief period earlier in the shoot, when the sun was actually on them. Those images came our really pink SOOC much more vibrant. So I tried to take that on board with my post, but maybe haven't nailed it. this should be dull compared to the others. with a hint of that pink.

Fair points made buddy thank you I'm utterly insecure about all this post lark , but watching her............. especially her trying to find me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:was superb,

play time

ahh mate what a blast.

Off topic................ many thanks to all for me jab today simple as............... all connected thank you !!

Great to see something from you Stu!

Russ may have old eyes - but they're accurate ones! There is a fair amount of blue coming through, but maybe that's how the light was and accurate to the scene.

Just as a matter of consideration, here's one with a more neutral WB and the shadows lifted a bit. Subtle but just an idea

51052120156_aa11e8ffc2_oRP.jpg

Mike

I don`t disagree with any of the comments , and I could live with both yours and Mikes take , but Mike is a Wizard at enhancing stuff and his take does have an edge , and I struggle with enhancing ... more than you . It`s a bit central for my taste , you can probably rectify that as it`s cropped a bit , if you wished too , but I would be pleased if I had taken it . She looks in great condition , and is looking right at you .

Russ, There is a buck covering her already, (y) he might be a bit special hopefully i'll get closer to him but he's about :)

Hey Mike cheers for the edit mate , very kind. Ha nowt wrong with what Russ sees editing wise;)

it's been a while huh, I've not lost my passion for this : I've had me head down through lockdown wood shedding making our camper Not going out with the camera has been really hard but I've been trying to think long term

Just to be out for an while and to get to spend time with them was so cool. Ha I wondered if I could still do this stalking lark

ha I've been back using your tutorial again buddy thank you, I knew that was going to be huge for me it's such a help..................agree on the blues,hey ho mate ace tutorial potter for two weeks and I still mess it up .:LOL:

Being serious though I do like your edit. I found the colours and trying to represent the light tricky I took WB off that little white mark on her neck

image is made at around 6:51 PM two weeks back sunday so well after sunset as a reference for the light

Mike as always humble thanks

Mark post is tough isn't it ahh mate I was actually happy with my greens until I saw Mike's take. fair point on the crop/framing mind I have a fair few of her pushed to one side so it's not the end of the world To be completely honest the sheep netting bugs the hell out of me. :ROFLMAO:
She does look good i'm guessing just carrying a single,?

thanks guys

Funniest thing lads I so nearly ran with this earlier OMG so nearly.......................... it's also my thread so I can't derail it:banana::ROFLMAO:

anyways I was a good boy did me chores went out for supplies and found a lad same spot. on way home 2 weeks to the day

Actually this is really civilised roe shooting, pull up miles away where one can see everything. Have a cup of char sit comfy and warn in bus. spot deers put togs on wander up behind wall like a mouse

then moan like a girl cause the walls hard on me elbows :banghead: SHHHHHHHH already !!

Make some piccies sun comes out ( WTF honestly the sun came out WTF??? that never happens ) wonder back to bus go home do editing really civilized????

s by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Look at the shape of him guys he's build like a ruddy tank !!

take care

Back