Round 2 of the Photography Competition Closing 17th April

S

Steve

Our winner has spoken :) As promised Aerky01 earned the privilege of choosing the subject for round 2 of the competition. Having just received the following PM the chosen subject is "Architecture/Buildings"

Aeryk01 said:
Hi Steve,

I don't know who the admin will be for the next round, so I'm sending this to you. After some thought, I hope this is a good one... "Architecture/Buildings"

Also, I never saw in the rule posts whether or not the previous winner is allowed to enter the next competition, or is he/she exempt from it with the exception of choosing the Topic. Or are we free to enter? Please advise on this. Also, I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but all photos submitted for entries into the comps, should be taken within that timeframe, yes? In other words, people shouldn't be digging into their photo libraries and entering photo's from last year... correct? I just want to clarify that to make sure everyone is going out and actually taking new photographs...

Anyway, thanks for the kind words on my photo, a GREAT first run, and looking forward to the next one.

To answer Eric’s questions..the winner from the previous round is allowed to enter, the only person not allowed to enter or vote is the lucky admin that is looking after that particular round of the competition. I did the first one, one of the others will do this, we will advice you as soon as we decide which victim, sorry kind person has been chosen ;)

All photos submitted should ideally be shot for the competition, the aim is to improve. Submitting old photographs is not going to help you do that. If you require critique on an older photograph just make a post in the members gallery on the forums and we will do our best to oblige.

And finally the rules will be amended very slightly to cover the entering and not voting issue that has been raised recently. Again this will be posted by the admin in charge of this round along with a reminder of the procedure for round two.

Let’s have another good round with lots of entries and keep the emphasis firmly on fun. Good luck everyone :D

Oooooo!!!! :D Great choice Eric! Of course now I definitely have to get out there for this one, since you have chosen a subject of great interest to me since I am an architect. Hopefully our magnificent admin team will allow us enough time. It may take me awhile to get the old brain fired up. :wink:

Hey sounds like a great subject. Everyone loves architecture/buildings. I might even get my butt out there and enter this round. I am a little intimidated though I must say being a newbie into photography. I know it's just for fun, but still. Anyway am I an idiot cause I can't see any deadline for this round, when is it? [smilie=c:
Cheers, Jewel

Jewel... I'm just as much a newbie at this as you are. I just take alot of pictures lately, because I'm outta work right now. But seriously... I've only been doing this seriously for about 2 months now. Just have fun with it and try and shoot what YOU think is a unique photo, angle, lighting, etc. That's all I do... I just shoot what I think looks good to my eyes and then hope for some of that magic along the way...

Good luck to all... I'll be sending in my entry for this comp before weeks end.

Regards,

Eric

jewel said:
Anyway am I an idiot cause I can't see any deadline for this round, when is it? [smilie=c:
Cheers, Jewel[/quote]

No you are not cause it has not been posted yet :LOL:

We are working to a four week for the shoot and one week for votes timescale. So you have till the 17th April to get your pictures in and till the following Sunday to vote. The admin are still falling out about who is going to administer this round but as soon as we get our act together, we will update you with the full rules and format. :) It is likely to be the same as round one but include one extra rule to close the loophole found in the first round.

You can still start to shoot your pictures and as soon as we get sorted we will give you more info.

Good luck to everyone, ohh and I get to join in for this round too, so you must all vote for me :D

Dave said:
Jewel lives in Toronto (full of cool architecture) and therefore should be disqualified from this competition. :D

I live in the country, I demand a second opinion on the subject :wink:

jewel said:
Everyone loves architecture/buildings.
Cheers, Jewel

I don't - I hate them - nasty bricky things with walls that go 'whoo-err' at you and doors that slam.
Burn them all down and live in tents I say!

To me. :p I will keep it safe. :D

You have no idea how many shots I've taken the past 2 days & I'm dying to get some "Critiques" [smilie=w: , but not sure if I should post any of them due to the fact that many are of my competition subject, just not the particular shot I'm submitting. I think I'll wait & see what the higher ups think first before I post some in the Gallery Area. :D

Eric

Dave said:
Jewel lives in Toronto (full of cool architecture) and therefore should be disqualified from this competition. :D

Hey guys, I never said I was in the heart of down town Toronto. The "GTA", not the core of the city are you crazy!!!
Jewel

Aeryk01 said:
You have no idea how many shots I've taken the past 2 days & I'm dying to get some "Critiques" [smilie=w: , but not sure if I should post any of them due to the fact that many are of my competition subject, just not the particular shot I'm submitting. I think I'll wait & see what the higher ups think first before I post some in the Gallery Area. :D

Eric[/quote]

The higher up’s have almost come to a decision on who is taking the helm for this round, however I would advise against posting any pictures for critique just yet for the same reason that you have already mentioned. Instead go out and photograph something else and post those pictures for critique ;)

I will update this thread at the weekend to bring everyone up to speed, but be warned, do not enter if you are not prepared to vote as your entry will be disqualified.

Isn’t suspense fun? Have fun and happy snapping :)

jewel said:
Dave said:

Hey guys, I never said I was in the heart of down town Toronto. The "GTA", not the core of the city are you crazy!!!
Jewel

You're still alot closer than the rest of us. Two hours closer than I am, at least. Although I was thinking of heading up there when I saw the theme for this round. I just love the Calatrava work that is in the city.

effyman said:
jewel said:
Dave said:

Jewel

You're still alot closer than the rest of us. Two hours closer than I am, at least. Although I was thinking of heading up there when I saw the theme for this round. I just love the Calatrava work that is in the city.

You got that right effyman, it's a great city for the subject chosen for this months contest. Try the distillery district, it's a great place to wander around and admire some great architecture/history.
Cheers, jewelhttp://www.thedistillerydistrict.com/

i will have to get into town, a nice new building has gone up to get some shots of...have to get there before Fungus..

Thanks for the link Jewel :)
I took a quick look here at work, but I'll have a good one when I get home. I have never been down that way so I'm really interested.

I have just managed to get a few minutes free to alter the front page of the site to show the winner of round one and display the winning picture. I have also added some information on round two and altered the monthly competition page to reflect round two’s subject.

Once again I will be administering this round, so the routine for picture submissions is exactly the same as for the last round. Before you enter please take note once again of our guidelines and our one new rule. This rule has been implemented to close the loophole that was identified during the last round. This new rule is red below, failure to follow it will result in disqualification of your entry without exception.

Rules and how to enter

Your entry should be reduced to no bigger than 600 pixels along its longest edge. This includes any borders that you may or may not want to add. The size restriction will help protect the images from being stolen/copied and also ensure that all pictures are viewed under the same restrictions.

Post processing and “Photoshop” work can be applied but please do not put your name or forum alias on the picture anywhere, the whole of the voting system relies on members not knowing which entry belongs to which member.

Once you have your entry ready (only one per member and once submitted no changes will be allowed), send it via email to competition@thephotographyforums.com and include your forum name. Any entries received that are to big, have names on the photo itself, do not have the members name included with the email or that are received after the closing date will be rejected.

Once the closing date has passed, all the entries will be numbered and displayed in a “Competition Gallery” for all to view. All members will then have 7days to vote on their favourite three photos using the forums PRIVATE MESSAGE system. Again these should be sent to the admin that is running the competition for that round. Votes for your own entry will again be disallowed and anyone suspected of cheating will have their entry removed from that round of the competition.

After the voting has been completed, the top three results will be posted in a competition thread and the photos in the gallery will have their numbers changed to the names of each member that submitted them. We would then like to have members comment, critique and generally offer words of wisdom on the entries. This is where we can all learn the most as feedback in invaluable. This will also be the place to discuss technique and setting used to capture the photos.

The winner will then have the honour to select a subject for the next round of the competition and the whole process will start again. The success of this depends entirely on the forum members, so your efforts and contributions are essential.

All members who enter must vote, any member who chooses not to vote will have their entry disqualified and any votes that have been received for that submission will be awarded to the next in line.

I will once again contact everyone by PM to confirm that I have received your votes, if you have voted and do not receive a reply within a couple of days or before the competition closing date if you vote near the closing time, please contact me at steve@thephotographyforums.com This is very important as failure to do so could result in your entry being disqualified.

Hopefully that’s all clear, if not now is the time to ask questions and get any uncertainties cleared up.

Once again have fun and lets see some more stunning entries. :)

Is framing allowed or do you just want the plain photo?... Sorry... just need clarification...

And not to bring up a sore subject (?), but I was really looking forward to seeing an entry from you this time... thanks for heading up the competition again. Care to post an example for reference, like last time?

Eric

Yes framing is allowed but your submission must not be any larger than 600 px across it's longest side inc any frame. As long as you can keep withing those sizes then its entirely up to you. ;)

No it's not a sore subject at all, Bod has offered but I would like to encourage him to enter also. I have entered many competitions over the last few years and have luckily managed to win a couple so this is nothing new to me, although as requested I will still be attempting to capture some shots for this subject. I will post them in the members gallery if and when they come out. :D

im sure bod doesnt mind steve, at least you can have a go then...that is, of course, if your not scared......

OK, everything clear for me, time to go (when I leave the office...) and make some shots of Architecture/Buildings 2 weeks more less its a reasonable time to do it.

Good luck everyone

ppuga said:
OK, everything clear for me, time to go (when I leave the office...) and make some shots of Architecture/Buildings 2 weeks more less its a reasonable time to do it.

Good luck everyone

I am glad you are joining in, I will look forward to seeing your entry :)

Just a gentle reminder to all the good folk that you still have till 17th April to get your photos submitted..we are supposed to have some good weather this weekend too, so no excuses!!! :D

Can I submit 2 shots Steve? I've got two shots I'm happy with but both VERY different and I really can't decide. :?

just kidding

HEHE of course you can as long as you expect both to be disqualified :LOL:

how many of you are getting into the round 2?

I still can't found a good building to shot jeje But I still have time. I will get to the drive downtown this weekend, to see what I found. Its difficult to shot buildings here in México, because if its a corporate building immediatly you have the security on you, or they just call the cops and they get there quickly asking for some money or a permit :( . I told you this because today I went down in my office, with my camera in hand in a free time I have, and I was just walking to the outside of the building, and the security guy just walk towards me and ask me what I'm suposed to do with my camera there? jaja I just told him, take a few pictures. He ask me of what? I told him about the contest, and he reply to me, ok, take all the pictures you like but not pointing to this building, or another from there... :shock:

I was so shocked about it, so I just walked around and get back to work, without a picture. Later I talked with the security manager of my office, and he explained to me that it was all about the security of the people working there, and bla bla bla.

I just will go to another place less conflictive...

I am a newbie and was wandering why when you have your competitions why the pics are e-mailed and not just simply posted in this thread for all to see, or is it all a big secret?

Forget what i just said, I have just read the rules, now i see. Thats the trouble being a newbie one does not look before opening ones mouth.
Anyway i have e-mailed an entry, I bet i get into trouble coz its probably too big or the wrong size.

ppuga said:
how many of you are getting into the round 2?

I've got something, just needs a bit of refinement :)

CT said:
Can I submit 2 shots Steve? I've got two shots I'm happy with but both VERY different and I really can't decide. :?

just kidding

Got the same problem myself... :LOL:

wazza said:
Forget what i just said, I have just read the rules, now i see. Thats the trouble being a newbie one does not look before opening ones mouth.
Anyway i have e-mailed an entry, I bet i get into trouble coz its probably too big or the wrong size.

We are doing it this way to keep everyone guessing and add to the enjoyment and mystery. Don't forget that as you have entered you must also vote when the time comes otherwise your entry will be disqualified. keep your eyes on this thread over the coming weeks as I will announce when the photos are up for viewing and give you the full details of how to vote.

BTW your entry was to big but I will resize it for you, consider it all part of the free service :wink:

Oz said:
CT said:

just kidding

Got the same problem myself... :LOL:

Not only do you have to be a photographer, you also have to be a image editer as well...decisions, decisions :LOL:

Still you have a couple of weeks to make your mind up :wink:

I've already had two weeks and still can't make my mind up! I'll have to enlist help from friends and get their opinions... 8)

Dave said:
I was looking forward to this theme, but I've had too much uni work to do :(

Excuses are nt acceptable!!! There is still time and everywhere you look there is architecture :D

Important announcement on an amendment to the rules.

Due to a request and question from one of our members about the submission of panoramic photographs, after some discussion the admin team have decided to introduce a concession and a new rule to handle this area.

The point raised was that a panoramic photograph would be severely handicapped by our no larger than 600pix rule, obviously to display the potential detail that it may contain it would need to be larger. What the admin team are wary of is people may crop a picture across the top and bottom then submit it as a so called panoramic, when it clearly is not.

So from this round onwards if any members wish to submit a panoramic photograph it can be up to a maximum of 1000pix across. The admin reserve the right to reduce or refuse to accept it should they deem it not to be a panoramic image, should that be the case we will notify the member concerned. The 600pix rule still stands for all other submissions.

Please treat this concession with respect and don’t try to abuse it otherwise it will be removed.

As usual, any questions can be posted here or if you prefer will be accepted by private message.

I can't see a closing date anywhere for this?

damn slacker admins, i will sort it

Closing date 17th April

Back