Royal Mail

I've had post most days where I am. Only thing missing is a wireless remote release ordered from amazon. It's stuck in the south west distribution centre. No idea where that is. Have successfully received items from all over the country and this one is stuck!

my pannier and rack is supposed to have left Rotherham this morning to be delived by parcel farce but not holding up much hope of receiving it... AND as for the actual postie coming round with mail,well it must be too dangerous for him to walk although I walked 6 miles a day to get to and fro work to serve the public and we get no thanks or pay if we didn't turn in .
Ingrid DM wasn't having a go at you but the postal service around our area is getting beyond a joke AND I've tried ringing our main depot but is constantly engaged (probably due to iratre customers

"However our members have been asked to remain aware of safety hazards and if they feel their delivery walk has become too dangerous or inaccessible due to poor weather, managers will support their decision not to carry on and will encourage them to return to the office"

Come on we don't particularly want to walk on the ice either but if folks didn't there would't be any shops open for groceries or deliveries to the supermarkets... and they wonder why the P.O. is dying

Last edited:
I've been impressed with them recently - not too badly affected by snow down here, but the delivery office is now open until 8pm a couple of days a week (much better than the 2pm closing they used to have), and when i dropped in yesterday they happily dug through a mountain of unsorted parcels for me (i'd come in only a couple of hours after the postman left the card - supposed to leave it til the next morning).

Just need the Post Office to open before 9am now so that i can send a parcel without taking half a morning off work.

Impressed with the couriers' attempts to clear backlogs too. Ordered a lens from Park Cameras a couple of weeks ago, they couldn't get it out of their warehouse that day, but got it out on Friday and CityLink were working all weekend to catch up. Similarly I had Parcel Force deliver something on a Saturday which they wouldn't usually do (unless you pay more, i assume).

Also worth pointing out that Royal Mail have suspended their guarantee on Special Delivery at the moment.

David

My father lives in Nottingham (and I do as well) - close to the city centre (within 3 miles). He went to the local depot to collect a parcel that was showing on tracking as not being able to contact the recipient - but that's a different and somewhat repetitive story as far as RM goes - and ACTUALLY GOT the "We can't deliver due to health and safety concerns".

Not only that, but they were not clearing post boxes either - I went to one and could easily have picked out a fist full of post.

Now, last year, I remember seeing news stories about the cool grips they were giving postmen to put under their shoes as extra grip against ice etc. I remember it so well, I bought a pair this year.

If a road is truly inaccessible, I accept that. If a little snow, which the rest of us manage to battle through, is considered enough to prevent a service we PAY FOR, I have little patience.

To those who work for RM are you seriously saying that IN GENERAL you are risking broken bones or that, because their is a tiny risk, you are happy to see your entire route cut? I'm kind of guessing you get paid either way? Any Agency staff want to give an opinion?

Im just home from work and still nothing delivered as its deemed to hazardous to go out.....right
Looks like day 16 tomorrow and a call to RM to find out if they intend getting some post out now its safe to do so or will they catch a slight chill if they try

Edit

Just been on the RM website and DN postcode has gone so we should see a postie tomorrow or will we.................:shrug:

Last edited:
Managed to speak to the sorting office and our street should be delivered sometime today......yaaaayyyyyy

I posted 2 RMSD parcels to Scotland and Wales yesterday and they both arrived today before 1.00pm.

well my pannier and rack set " out for delivery" today by parcel farce never arrived

Yes Ricky my insurance docs have arrived but should have been back signed on wed

Have you checked your local sorting office? I went down the other day for the company and collected a small stack of mail :D

Have you checked your local sorting office? I went down the other day for the company and collected a small stack of mail :D

Yes gman, lots of parcels there, so if I get home in time from work some time this week I will trudge the 4 mile there to pick up the parcels that I need to get my car running so I can collect the rest, but seeing as I work stupid hrs from 6am up to late at night like 10ish I dont really get the time..........just wish I worked postie hrs but then again if I were to tread on a snowflake.....god forbid I may break a sweat...........:shrug:...........I may have to stay in a snug office for the day then walk home past all my routes homes with my post and sod the customers who pay my wages(y)

Posties are digging a big hole for themselves by refusing to tread on a few snowflakes.......big can do companies are out there wanting to "and have the manpower to" take over RM the likes of TNT,UPS and the biggest threat DHL so stop being idle and do your job before its too late(y)

You've got a point, I must admit. I managed it to work in the car all this week and last yet the post vans couldn't? And then an order placed with DSCL two days ago arrived today (Citylink) :D

Although it may not be the postie's fault, management may be telling them not to risk it?

What this really boils down to is........we have had some snow, some bad snow thats turned to ice, and we have all or most that could have pulled together and got things done APART from the posties, even posties who have seen frost have played the ace and said no "cant deliver in that"............its now wearing thin to customers and about time their bosses know how bad the bad roads are to go onto....they arent ALL roads are passable, most (not all) posties are just idle and dont want to work, its as simple as that......we all have to do it what makes them special or are they SPECIAL

Also..........If we have to go through all the snow to get our post WHY do we have a postal service in the first place..........why not have a pick up point and do away with posties altogether as they dont really do much and just have a cheaper sevice that places all our post in a warehouse then leaves it till we collect..............oh thats what we have now' but wouldnt that be so much cheaper and you actually get your mail

Posties are digging a big hole for themselves by refusing to tread on a few snowflakes.......big can do companies are out there wanting to "and have the manpower to" take over RM the likes of TNT,UPS and the biggest threat DHL so stop being idle and do your job before its too late(y)

and why do you think the last mention of privatisation failed, no one wants the responsibilty of delering to EVERY addres in the country for less then 50p :wacky: at the moment they can charge the customer what they like and the pay RM less then half to do the job, when your mail does eventually get there just look and see who should have delivered it !!!

When you postie comes back ask him/her whether it was actually their choice to deliver or not :shrug:
Bet it was a managment decision, we all wanted to be out there asap but got held back for 3 days :nono:

Last edited:
Also..........If we have to go through all the snow to get our post WHY do we have a postal service in the first place..........why not have a pick up point and do away with posties altogether as they dont really do much and just have a cheaper sevice that places all our post in a warehouse then leaves it till we collect..............oh thats what we have now' but wouldnt that be so much cheaper and you actually get your mail

You seem to be confusing your area with the whole of the country. As MANY people have said on here they have not had any issues. To be honest the idea you outlined sounds completely pointless, narrow minded and insulting to any post man out in all weathers delivering you your mail.

You seem to be confusing your area with the whole of the country. As MANY people have said on here they have not had any issues. To be honest the idea you outlined sounds completely pointless, narrow minded and insulting to any post man out in all weathers delivering you your mail.

Whats eating me is the fact we are now clear and its safe to walk yet the posties here are still refusing to work, and in turn that means its getting more difficult for me to get to my job 10 miles away, ok it did look like I was having a rant at all posties and some are very good and do battle on but it seems the ones we have here are just workshy.......we did have a brilliant postie for a year when we moved here and nothing stopped him delivering but sadly he retired early

and why do you think the last mention of privatisation failed, no one wants the responsibilty of delering to EVERY addres in the country for less then 50p :wacky: at the moment they can charge the customer what they like and the pay RM less then half to do the job, when your mail does eventually get there just look and see who should have delivered it !!!

When you postie comes back ask him/her whether it was actually their choice to deliver or not :shrug:
Bet it was a managment decision, we all wanted to be out there asap but got held back for 3 days :nono:

Ingrid the decision is up to the individual postie here and has been pointed out in a newspaper article posted here a couple of days ago, the posties just wont go out:shrug: we have had one delivery in 16 days yet in scotland some harder hit places had post nearly every day which is fantastic considering what it was like up there, yet here in scunny we just cant seem to get them back out which is probably down to bad managers letting them get away with it, and Ingrid please dont think any of this is aimed at you because it isnt its all aimed at scunthorpes posties that seem to be taking the mick(y)

cudos to RM.. they delivered canvases to a customer today even though i didnt pay for the special delivery saturday service :)

Yet ANOTHER thing they managed to screw up!!! :LOL:

Back