Royal Navy Rescue Seaking At Carrick Roads Cornwall

Name
Martyn
Edit My Images
Yes

Royal Navy Rescue by martyndunstan, on Flickr

Was at Pendennis Castle when these guys were practicing. First time i have ever taken a shot of moving aircraft, not as clear as some on here but any hints tips would be appreciated

Anyone else?

That's normally requested in desperation by the thread starter :thinking: :D

Nice comp with the backdrop and I'm assuming this is more of a grab shot than anything planned in advance ?
Having the right settings (if time and equipment permit),to induce some rotor blur, really can 'pop' an image like this :)

Might be my ipad but it looks really underexposed to me.

It's a nice enough subject and a good effort - though I would say the shutter speed needs to be a lot lower, that way there'll be some blur to the rotors and it won't look like its just hanging in the air - I always feel that frozen rotors on flying aircraft just don't look right.

The thing with helicopters (over propeller driven aeroplanes) is the blades turn a hell of a lot slower meaning you need a really slow shutter to get a decent amount of blur - then you run the risk of camera shake especially if the subject is moving.

Either way best thing is to get out and take pictures and see what works best for you :)

Neil

Hi guys it was the first time out with my new camera it was literally a point and shoot as he flew by underexposed = too high shutter and too low iso ????? just so i know for next time

A bit under exposed, as already been said, but it does show how good the Canon 55-250 is. A very underrated lens in my opinion.

Hi guys it was the first time out with my new camera it was literally a point and shoot as he flew by underexposed = too high shutter and too low iso ????? just so i know for next time

Your picture was taken at 1/1000th of a second, which is too fast for rotor blur but great for quickly stopping it dead in the photograph.
Your aperture was f10 which is great for say a landscape on a sunny day but which was obviously too much for this particular occasion ... opening the aperture to say f8 might have just been sufficient for a correct exposure - actual figure depends on circumstances.
ISO is best kept to the camera's 'norm', usually 100 unless lighting is a problem, and it wasn't here.

Here's a little adjustment to the exposure in Photoshop, just to give you an idea of the difference aperture makes ... let me know if you would rather I remove it :)

A very good capture and Gramps has done the works on it, photography is a great learning curve, even small adjustments can make a big difference. (maybe worth adding a warming filter to reduce the bluey tint)
It's a shame that this will soon be a view of the past when the navy's time doing the helicopter rescue comes to an end (in 2016 I think).
We now seem to live in a country where more and more things go out to tender/contracting etc, the quality of service suffers as so much cost cutting gets involved.

Last edited:
Martyn. If you compare the Histogram in your image and Gramps' adjustment, you will notice that he has exposed more to the right. That is what you want to aim for.

Hi guys, i am more than happy for gramps to edit my photos as i am here to learn how to become better and any hints tips or advice i always take on board.

Thanks
Martyn

Back