Ruffe - Fisher

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
Confirmation that the fish the Kingy is catching is indeed a Ruffe ( daddy ruffe - pope etc).
This was yesterday and I was SO pleased they came out so good -for me - as they were shot at 1/40.

2012KING9.jpg

2012KING10.jpg

Thanks
Keith

Nice one Keith ... not bad fish ID considering how blurred that first image was in the other thread ;)

Nice one Keith ... not bad fish ID considering how blurred that first image was in the other thread ;)

Ruffe are only found in deeper water, 15ft plus so im guessing it was put in a holding tank so IDing it wouldnt be to hard in the hand :LOL:

Great set of photos :)

Ruffe are only found in deeper water, 15ft plus so im guessing it was put in a holding tank so IDing it wouldnt be to hard in the hand :LOL:

Great set of photos :)

I was referring to the fact that I correctly identified the fish from a rather blurred image in another thread of Keith's. :)

We used to catch them all the time as kids in the margins, certainly nowhere near 15ft deep, and they used to be common in most canals, which are relatively shallow so I do not know where the deep water bit comes from Alan.

Alan McFadyen said:
Ruffe are only found in deeper water, 15ft plus....

No they're not. You catch them on loads of canals like the GUC down the central channel and up the shelves. These canals are only a few feet deep in some places:)

Anyway, I digress..... :)

I stand corrected I am referring to Scotland. Please accept my apologies.

Great photo but I reckon that is a Bullhead not a Ruffe.

I think you might be right. It looks a lot like a bullhead/miller's thumbs although I thought they were a little darker and only reside in streams.... was this shot on running water (i.e. a stream)? Ruffe a have a spiny dorsal like a perch... not sure if I can see that dorsal.... so it could well be a bullhead

Thanks everyone for your positive comments....make the 100's of (silent) hours worth it.

Could be a Ruffe or a Bullhead.....hopefully I might find out which.

Specialman.......yes it's a stream with a lot of winter water in it at the moment.
Here's one of the small (6inches) waterfall just before the "pool".The Kingy dived almost exactly here and it must have been deep as he seemed to be in there ages- don't know HOW he saw it in all the churning water....they really are brilliant.
Streamlow.jpg

Keith (y)

Those really are good shots BTW :)

One of our journos is a former editor of a bird watching mag so he's always pointing birds out. He has eagle-eyes (no pun intended) and seems to spot kingfishers wherever he goes.... I'm too slow to see them and deffo don't have the patience or skill to do what you'd done.

These are really nice shots, well done (y)

P.s:
it is defo a bullhead ;)
basically a Ruffe is the same shape as a perch but has spots instead of stripes. (i know that is not 100% correct but its close enough to get an idea) :D

Those really are good shots BTW :)

One of our journos is a former editor of a bird watching mag so he's always pointing birds out. He has eagle-eyes (no pun intended) and seems to spot kingfishers wherever he goes.... I'm too slow to see them and deffo don't have the patience or skill to do what you'd done.

I know the feeling.....everytime I watch them I promise myself to try and get him diving - or at least making a splash....BUT everytime he dives I just freeze and marvel at him and it's too late then

Keith (y)

Nice capture Keith,all the hours are bringing you just reward,well done M8.who do you talk to ??when you are there Ha lol

All the birds,squirrels,rabbits,Deer,mink...not to mention all the Dragons.:wacky:
Keith

Agree with the above, it's nice to see where you took the shots as well.

As for the actual photo's, a kingfisher very well captured in both shots.

Kieth,the fish in question that your kingy as caught is deffinatley a bullhead/or millers thumb as Andrew (AHILL) rightly said...regards Nige.(y)

Can't wait to get my first KF shot of the year and these are a super pair Keith (y)

Back