Rugby : Highlands v Musselburgh

Name
Gerald Davies
Edit My Images
Yes
2nd attempt at rugby and I've taken on board some of the tips given on this form from my 1st attempt. So thanks everyone for them.

I think these are a slight improvement.

1)
3300349547_698e883cfb_o.jpg

2)
3300348043_c7674d8d68_o.jpg

3)
3301179474_8cc4b5519f_o.jpg

4)
3300346487_71eb8e6ebd_o.jpg

5)
3301177608_8dc83f44ba_o.jpg

6)
3301176488_1fde3faa26_o.jpg

7)
3300343301_7417bc57e0_o.jpg

8)
3301174370_bdd1c61fd9_o.jpg

9)
3300341011_12e4eacbc2_o.jpg

C&C welcome

These are wonderfully sharp and crisp and indeed do look a substantial improvement. Comments per shot which might really annoy you or might give you a few tips.

1) Very nice - faces & ball in shot, good expressions & obvious energy. Needs straigtening (look at the goalposts)
2) The screening player in the foreground spoils what would be a very nice action shot. Cropping ability is limited due to the angle he's at. I'd bin this one.
3) Bit too far away. I'd bin this one too or do a serious crop but the screening player will mess that up a bit.
4) Really excellent. A very interesting shot, and the player in the background gives some more context to it. Excellent. Only improvement would be that you chopped his toe off.
5) Pretty good. Waiting a second or so to get the impact of the tackle would be much more effective though. You can see the ball carrier tensing for it. Needs a straighten (pesky goalposts again)
6) Bit of a nothing shot - play going away and faces looking away takes you straight out of the shot. Bin.
7) Nice action shot. Looks like a close-ish crop. Good facial expression again.
8) Straighten. Bit dull as a shot on its own but always good for stock for when you need a pic of a particular player. I always try and grab solo shots like this for that very reason.
9 Love the rim lighting.

Overall, looks like you're getting the hang of it. Wait for action coming towards you and get your timing right for tackles, impacts etc.

Hope this helps.

Tobers

These are wonderfully sharp and crisp and indeed do look a substantial improvement. Comments per shot which might really annoy you or might give you a few tips.

Thanks tobers, exactly what I was looking for.

1) Thanks and I'll straighten up later.

2 & 3) comments taken on board

4) Didn't notice that, and damn annoying, must do better next time. :bonk:

5) I tried for the tackle, but someone came in from the right of frame and spoilded the image :(, but your comments make sense.

6) I was trying to capture teh scrum half in one of his classic poses, but it is a little empty on the right side of the frame :(

7) I cannot remeber if this is a crop or not,I'll have to check tonight. More than likely is, as it was taken from a far distance.

8) Thanks and idea of stock taken on board.

9) I like the rim lighting as well. All the action in one half meant I was looking into the sun. It shows plenty of action, but I'm still sitting on the fence with this one.

Looking good.
Looks like a great place to play.
Must try and get to a game and take photos.
Trouble is I get so involved in game:shrug:

Great shots taxi,where was the game & what lens did you use.:)

Looking good.
Looks like a great place to play.
Must try and get to a game and take photos.
Trouble is I get so involved in game:shrug:

Thanks albion.

I know how you feel about getting to involved. I'm not at that stage with Highland rugby club et. Although international rugby is another matter. My
neighbors think I'm mad after the abuse I shouted at the tv with Wales beating England :D

Great shots taxi,where was the game & what lens did you use.:)

Cheers Jockwav.

The photos where taken up in Inverness, at canal park. They where all taken with the 100 to 400.

Gerald

Well done taxi.:)(y):clap:

Some nice shots there. Looks like you did well in the harsh light and dark background to get a decent exposure.

A couple of the later ones look a little oversharpened. Possibly because they were not 100% sharp and you've tried to claw it back with sharpening?

Composition wise not bad. You've an eye for the moment. Can't help looking at #9 and thinking the SH isn't clearing the ball but kicking the open side up the arse? Sorry ;)

5, 7, and 8 might benefit from a straighten.

Nice set here - I agree with the straightening though, a bit distracting

:LOL: @ Freester - does look like that from the expression :LOL:

Now that set has brought back some memories as many years ago I used to play for Highland Rugby Club (not the first team, or even the second :D) and spent many a night getting totally bladdered in the clubhouse upstairs. I recognised the venue from the backdrop in number 5.

Good stuff! (y)

Some nice shots there. Looks like you did well in the harsh light and dark background to get a decent exposure.

A couple of the later ones look a little oversharpened. Possibly because they were not 100% sharp and you've tried to claw it back with sharpening?

Composition wise not bad. You've an eye for the moment. Can't help looking at #9 and thinking the SH isn't clearing the ball but kicking the open side up the arse? Sorry ;)

5, 7, and 8 might benefit from a straighten.

Thanks Freester, you're right about the sharpening and the over exposure, its the first time I've tried shooting into the sun with rugby, so I'm adjusting to the conditions.

I know what you mean about the #9, I thought exactly the same myself :LOL:

Nice set here - I agree with the straightening though, a bit distracting

:LOL: @ Freester - does look like that from the expression :LOL:

Thanks Kelack, hopfully I'll have some time at the end of the week to sort that out.

Now that set has brought back some memories as many years ago I used to play for Highland Rugby Club (not the first team, or even the second :D) and spent many a night getting totally bladdered in the clubhouse upstairs. I recognised the venue from the backdrop in number 5.

Good stuff! (y)
Thanks Hacker.

Yeah, its Canal Park where these where these where taken, right next to the club house. I've not tasted the brew in the clubhouse yet, but that won't take long :LOL::LOL:

What position did you used to play?

Gerald

Thanks Hacker.

Yeah, its Canal Park where these where these where taken, right next to the club house. I've not tasted the brew in the clubhouse yet, but that won't take long :LOL::LOL:

What position did you used to play?

Gerald

It certainly used to be very scoiable but it's about twenty five years since I've been there (Jeez, I feel old after typing that).

I used to play Hooker which explains my devastating good looks. :D

It certainly used to be very scoiable but it's about twenty five years since I've been there (Jeez, I feel old after typing that).

I used to play Hooker which explains my devastating good looks. :D

I've been in the club house a few times and there seems to be a very good atmosphere there.

Playing hooker would explain the ears :LOL:

Gerald

Back