Rugby League

For me no ,I live in a state that is more into AFL [ Australian Rules]. You maybe lucky and find someone in NSW or Queensland. But I suspect you are not interested in the worlds best !!!, BTW I played both Rugby codes. I'm sure there would be some Yorkshire or Lancashire lads that can press the shutter.

Last edited:
It is Rugby Union in the west of England which I do shoot sometimes.

Dave

I shoot quite a bit of Rugby Union. Different but I expect there will be similarities. Is it something specific to RL you need help with
No, I used to do alot but rules changed in grounds and you couldn't do it anymore. Photographed my last pro game about 11 years ago. I'm hoping to get accreditation from the RFL shortly and just wondered if there was anyone doing the same kind of thing

Interestingly I noted that at my local premiership RU Club they did not actually ban photography but allowed it if you used a camera without interchangeable lenses. So I took my Bridge Camera to a couple of matches which was fine but in the poor light or under flood lights the images were a bit noisy. The club has recently removed even this option and implied no Amateur photography so I wrote to them and they replied that I could take photographs provided I remain in the seated visitor spaces and the images are for personal use only. I do plan to go and take my Sony ML but waiting for COVID to subside a bit more. Looking back at the shots with the bridge camera, they were not especially high ISO but noisy anyway so I gave up on them. Recently, I put some through Topaz De-Noise AI and they are now usable.

Dave

So Rugby League seem much tougher on amateurs. I am not sure why us amateurs are denied photography for many sports. As my Club has a relationship with our local University, I am hoping that they will be able to facilitate some sports and drama photography. One of our members who is a keen cricket fan bought a season ticket for the next County because they allowed photography but not our own county. This has lost them several season ticket holders and other casual ticket sales.

Dave

So Rugby League seem much tougher on amateurs. I am not sure why us amateurs are denied photography for many sports.

Sadly it is for the basic and fairly obvious reason: too many people took the pisch.

They conflated the right to take photographs with that to publish and give them away, affecting the clubs' revenue streams and control of their image.

If all of the amateur photographers had just been happy to take images for their own pleasure, nothing would have happened.

This needs shifting to Talk Sport to get better responses...
Thanks for all the feedback. I've only ever done it for my own pleasure and shared photos with the club and fans groups. I'm awaiting the accreditation paperwork coming through, (this is being done with the support of my club) to see what the regulations will allow me to do. I've only ever taken photos at pro games from the stands although I did regularly shoot local amateur games.

May be on the lookout for decent watermarking software.

Back