Rugby Pictures

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
No
Firstly, hello to everyone this is my first post here having stumbled upon the forum. I'm delighted to be able to find such an active sports forum. At the moment I'm shooting with a Canon 600D and a 70 - 200 2.8 IS II. In the near future however I will be taking a massive leap both and upgrading to two 1DX's and also a 400mm 2.8, and I can't bloody wait. In the meantime I'm shooting rugby most weekend's in Ireland, normally the Ulster Bank League Division 1A which is essentially the division below the provincial level of the likes of Leinster, Munster etc. These are a few shots from last weekend.

Line Break
by Stephen Devine, on Flickr

Try Scored

Delight & Dejection

College Park Lineout

Scrumhalf Pass

Well, I wouldn't normally look at these pictures, but I saw the first one on the home page and had to click through. These are really great, I particularly like the 3rd one as it has such emotion in it.

Well, I wouldn't normally look at these pictures, but I saw the first one on the home page and had to click through. These are really great, I particularly like the 3rd one as it has such emotion in it.

Many thanks for the kind words J Veitch.

Welcome Stephen, nice set, as an ex lock, I do like the line out image. He's got to be catching that ball at close to 12 foot high. In my day, thankfully, there was no lifting, just a bit of a wrestle.

Welcome Stephen, nice set, as an ex lock, I do like the line out image. He's got to be catching that ball at close to 12 foot high. In my day, thankfully, there was no lifting, just a bit of a wrestle.

Thanks Ben, I certainly remember playing up to u15's when there was no lifting and it came down to who had the bigger over developed fourteen year old!

You are luck to have access to decent level games. I live up near City of Derry, and unfortunately they aren't the team they once were :( Your recent photos are great.

2 - try and get him in the act of scoring, ie. diving over the line. A split second earlier would have been better, as here it just looks like the try scorer is lying down.

3 - arms and limbs cut off

4 - timing is good but composition isn't very strong.

5 - the worst offender. Try and get the scrum half passing the ball, there's no action or drama to this image in its current form.

6 - again, timing is off. Try and get it a split second after he's kicked the ball, for shots like this the player having just kicked and the ball still in frame is best.

Good start though, keep it up

Not done this type of thing before but I was drawn to first image. Good frame filling composition and really great light.

Gaz

It's not an easy game to capture in the movement, but there are plenty of action points to practice on during the game.
I found the backgrounds very dominating, difficult when using a 200mm at short distance, even at f2.8.
I think the greater distance of the 400mm will have beneficial effect on the DoF (between you and the subject) and at f2.8-4 will help remove/distract a lot of the prominent rear elements.
I think the bigger grounds in a higher league may also have a better defined background option.
For what it's worth, I like the emotion conflict in No3.

Last edited:
I don't really know enough about the subject to comment, but #1 and #3 have great use of light and nice clean backgrounds. They really stand out in the set.

Back