Rules on Duty Free purchase

B

budfox

The Nikon D700 is £1640 at Dixons Heathrow.

Despite a lot of searching, I'm struggling to find out the rules for buying one.

Can I book a flight to somewhere cheap and buy the camera on the way out, or do they then bill me for VAT on the way back into the UK?

Or....as I suspect, are duty free purchases for people who live outside the UK?

Alternatively just get it posted to home once your at the airport. Costs about £6 if I remember rightly. No worries about collection or VAT then.

Alternatively just get it posted to home once your at the airport. Costs about £6 if I remember rightly. No worries about collection or VAT then.

Get a cheap flight, return with the camera on a strap round your neck (fill the memory card with pictures of the country you have just been to) and post all the packaging back home.

Steve.

Get a cheap flight, return with the camera on a strap round your neck (fill the memory card with pictures of the country you have just been to) and post all the packaging back home.

Steve.

Of course you can always do that! I did the same thing with a Sigma 150-500 in my backpack once.

The Manchester airport information is incorrect (and it's not just electrical goods). The limit is £340

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingnoneu.htm

Except that if you take it out of the country in future and return with it, you can still be stopped and asked for proof that vat/duty has been paid. Note - it is not up to the customs officer to prove that you haven't paid it. It is up to you to prove that you have. Jump up and down in a temper all you want. That's the way it is.

Steve.

And customs officers were born yesterday? :shake: They learn this trick on day 1 of training. Again, refer to above for who has to prove payment of taxes. And they can tell from the serial numbers via a database which world market the items were sold in.

Would you have to pay the vat/duty on the difference above the £340.00 limit or on the whole purchase price?

I heard somewhere that when you import stuff it can work out more expensive as they add a charge on plus the VAT

Except that if you take it out of the country in future and return with it, you can still be stopped and asked for proof that vat/duty has been paid. Note - it is not up to the customs officer to prove that you haven't paid it. It is up to you to prove that you have. Jump up and down in a temper all you want. That's the way it is.

That may well be the letter of the law but without supporting evidence like a receipt, I doubt most officers would waste the time taking it further or checking serials in a DB. If you come back with 3 copies of the same lens, well that's a different story.

That may well be the letter of the law but without supporting evidence like a receipt, I doubt most officers would waste the time taking it further or checking serials in a DB. If you come back with 3 copies of the same lens, well that's a different story.

Sorry but personal experience here, not speculation. I was with a friend who was stopped and questioned. He had old 35mm film gear, a Canon EOS of some sort. Not the most expensive in the range at the time but not a cheap one. Two customs men. One took the EOS away and came back after a couple of minutes and said it was ok. The other officer asked him about the EOS - where was it bought, and about the lenses etc. He knew it was in Bristol and roughly where it was but wasn't too sure of the shop's name. The customs man knew though and prompted him. None of this equipment was expensive pro gear.

One wonders why they took the time and trouble. Maybe they had nothing to do. I've seen a little old lady having her suitcase taken apart. I've seen a proper British businessman nearly having a stroke from rage on being served a notice of intended prosecution after bringing through a small sports holdall full of cigarettes. I had a look at the paperwork that he'd thrown in the bin next to me while I was sat waiting for a taxi. Yes, the chances of being stopped and then suffering the worst penalties are small. But I wouldn't want anybody here to suffer the consequences because they did not have the experience of many years of travel and the advice from somebody who has.

Have I ever been stopped? Yes. Whilst passing through the middle of a very crowded customs hall, I had a tap on the shoulder and asked which flight I had just got off. "Tokyo" I said. "Thank you sir, that's all". Had he took me aside he would have found my two cases full of goodies and gadgets from the electronics district, including a pricey lens. That near miss didn't turn me in to a goody-two-shoes, but I lost my complacency at a stroke.

And customs officers were born yesterday? :shake: They learn this trick on day 1 of training. Again, refer to above for who has to prove payment of taxes. And they can tell from the serial numbers via a database which world market the items were sold in.

Yes but what percentage do they actually catch? Probably less than 1% so it's a case of weighing up the pros and cons and realising that there is a chance you will have to pay the duty.

Steve.

Yes but what percentage do they actually catch? Probably less than 1% so it's a case of weighing up the pros and cons and realising that there is a chance you will have to pay the duty.

Steve.

Exactly. That's the nature of the business. As I said, I've come close to being scrutinised, I know the risks and chances, and act accordingly. But to suggest that somebody throws away packaging and pretends that they bought it here is advice that needs to be countered.

Nobody, here or anywhere, is likely to be able to pull off an initial response that will stop the customs officer from questioning further. Then you start digging a deeper hole for yourself, and your attempted lie is laid bare. The customs man has been provoked, and now you're facing a fine (and, worst case scenario.....confiscation of your purchase). You start wishing you'd been honest in the first place. So you keep your packaging and receipt, and if you get stopped you tell the truth from the beginning. You apologise for your bad judgement, you misunderstood the allowance, or you were distracted and forgot because you were anxious to hurry home because your mother was ill or something. If you're lucky, and more often than not you will be, you'll just have to pay vat (and duty as required), and be on your way with your tail between your legs. You will also have a receipt to carry with you for every future return through customs with that camera. Just don't start down the road of lying about where and when you bought something.

What if you get stopped and you say you bought the item from ebay, from someone like Kerso?

What can they do then?

Actually I'm not sure it's 'duty free' as such... If you have a UK passport you won't pay anything on the return! and if it's true 'duty free' they won't sell it to you in the first place :thinking: or something like that anyway..

dixons airport shops are not duty free - they are called 'tax free' but basically just sell discounted goods.

What if you get stopped and you say you bought the item from ebay, from someone like Kerso?

What can they do then?

I'm not saying anything about Kerso here because I don't know what his trading arrangements are. But if you bought anything off ebay, a boot sale, or wherever, and the customs officer has reason to believe that it was imported without having tax/duty paid, then he will make YOU pay it.

Again, it is not up to him to prove anything, but for YOU to prove otherwise. HMRC have greater powers than the police. And again, you can jump up and down and scream injustice until you have a stroke. It won't change a thing.

HMRC advise anybody who takes legitimately imported high value items out of the country to take with them copies of receipts or evidence of tax/duty payments.

If you fly to somewhere in the EU and back then you have no problem. You only get charged import Duty when you buy something from outside the EU.

You can buy VAT free stuff at Dixons Eurotunnel too, which saves you dragging anything you buy onto a plane (which some airlines actually charge you extra for).

But surely if you buy something in a UK airport and collect it when you come back (assuming thats possible) you dont need to pay any VAT or import duty? After all you arent importing anything, and there would be no point in having a VAT free shop if you had to pay VAT on everything once you leave the airport.
And if you did take the camera to a country outside the EU and brought it back to the UK then you havent imported anything because you bought it in the UK. You might get checked at US (or wherever) customs but you can just show them your bought it in the UK and are taking it back there on your return flight.

Unless, I'm completely missing the point there really is no problem.

Some interesting comments here and if I can add my twopennorth.

It is a mistake to think that Customs officers can be treated like mugs, they are not paid very well but mugs they are not. They are also human and if you lie to them and they catch you out(and they usually do) then any 'goodwill/tolerance' they may have been prepared to exercise in your favour goes straight out of the window. :rules: As in any walk of life *isstakers are not appreciated!

Remember that it is not always a question of playing the percentages:naughty: when you go through customs and (perceived worst case scenario) paying the duty and VAT if stopped. It is within the officers remit to confiscate the goods in question should he/she/they choose to do so. Generally it is a dangerous thing to underestimate the power available to HM Revenue officers.

I do not speak from any bad personal experience, I just happen to have a neighbour who holds a very senior post within HM Revenue & Customs and I have learned quite a bit about the system, fortunately not the hard way, through my pocket!;)

If you fly to somewhere in the EU and back then you have no problem. You only get charged import Duty when you buy something from outside the EU.

You can buy VAT free stuff at Dixons Eurotunnel too, which saves you dragging anything you buy onto a plane (which some airlines actually charge you extra for).

But surely if you buy something in a UK airport and collect it when you come back (assuming thats possible) you dont need to pay any VAT or import duty? After all you arent importing anything, and there would be no point in having a VAT free shop if you had to pay VAT on everything once you leave the airport.
And if you did take the camera to a country outside the EU and brought it back to the UK then you havent imported anything because you bought it in the UK. You might get checked at US (or wherever) customs but you can just show them your bought it in the UK and are taking it back there on your return flight.

Unless, I'm completely missing the point there really is no problem.

When you buy a product here at a duty free shop you are buying it to export to another country, hence no vat/duty is paid on that item, and you should be buying it cheaper than you can buy it in the shops here (but that's another story). When you arrive in another country, if you are a permanent resident you should abide by their import tax rules and declare it, and pay import taxes as required.

If you are a UK tourist - as we're talking about here - then when you return to this country then you are legally obliged to pay import taxes - vat and duty - just like any commercial importer brings the goods in to this country in the first place. But..... you have a personal tax free limit - £340 - and the usual limits on alcohol, tobacco etc, which does not concern us here.

So if you buy your camera at the airport tax free, or overseas, and it costs less than £340 then when you return here there is no need to declare it and you walk through the green channel, or blue if returning from an EU country. The coloured band, blue or green, on the luggage tag identifies the fact that you are returning from within or outside the EU.

If you buy a camera costing more than £340, either at the airport here or overseas from a non-EU country, on your return - in theory - you should be walking through the red channel and declaring it. You pay vat (no duty on digital cameras) on the full value of the camera - not just that above £340.

If you have bought from within the EU, then taxes have been paid in the purchasing country and you are free to walk through the blue channel with any value.

If you try to purchase an item at an airport at a tax/duty free price and you are destined to travel within the EU then in theory you should be prevented from paying the tax free price at checkout - they check your boarding pass. However, some airports here (Heathrow and Gatwick are the only ones I travel from) announce "tax-free prices for all travellers". What they are really doing is reducing their inflated prices down to a level you would be able to buy for here anyway. Not a High street price but an internet price.

The scheme whereby you buy tax free at an airport here and they post it back to your home is a relatively recent innovation, and I can't yet say with authority what HMRC's position is on this, and I am currently waiting for an answer from them. I'm sure it's not a problem for items below £340, but for above this I would say it could be.

However, Some 3 years ago, before the recent £340 limit was introduced, up from £145, I bought a Tom Tom from Dixons at Heathrow for £360 and had it posted home without a problem. And herein lies the moral, when I say check your prices carefully before buying at an airport. I thought I had my finger on the pulse as far as Tom Tom prices were concerned, and had a figure of £400 internet price. When I returned from my trip nearly 2 weeks later I found the internet price was £320. Since then, I have yet to find anything significantly cheaper at an airport, if at all, than from an internet supplier.

This little bit where you say you aren't importing anything is the part where many don't understand ports of entry. Taking an airport as an example. They are physically divided in to landside and airside. When you go out through the immigration desks you are crossing that divide and moving from landside to airside. There are restrictions in place on who can cross that divide. For passengers - a valid boarding pass (and passport as necessary). For airport workers, an identification pass with the authority on it to go airside. The duty free shops are airside, and as such have goods within which, legally speaking, have not yet been imported in to this country. When you buy and return, by passing through immigration and customs, from airside to landside, you are then importing them. It is at this point where import tax/duty is levied.

The cargo warehouses have similar divides. Airside areas containing goods awaiting payment of tax/duty, and areas landside where payment has been made and awaiting collection.

Purchase made over the internet and received by post have different values and processes.

I hope this clarifies some points for you. If not........chocolate make me feel better.

dixons airport shops are not duty free - they are called 'tax free' but basically just sell discounted goods.

I think you need to say this a bit louder. Dixons airport shops are not duty free. You can tell because otherwise the prices would be different for those travelling within the EU and those travelling outside the EU.

I think you need to say this a bit louder. Dixons airport shops are not duty free. You can tell because otherwise the prices would be different for those travelling within the EU and those travelling outside the EU.

Indeed they're not... hence why they get away with having a collection point the 'land' side of customs... (ie you buy the product, go on holiday and then pick it up when you arrive back) and why they can also post your items directly from the shop in the terminal to your home address, again bypassing customs...

I've found their prices inflated compared to the internet or even High St. The only items of benefit are those whose prices are fixed wherever you buy them, ie Apple.

Indeed they're not... hence why they get away with having a collection point the 'land' side of customs... (ie you buy the product, go on holiday and then pick it up when you arrive back) and why they can also post your items directly from the shop in the terminal to your home address, again bypassing customs...

I've found their prices inflated compared to the internet or even High St. The only items of benefit are those whose prices are fixed wherever you buy them, ie Apple.

Legally speaking, this is incorrect, although from a practical point of view, Dixons and the others' inflated prices are a reality. I have in front of me my Tom Tom receipt (mentioned above) which shows the full price of £429.99 and a vat reduction of £64.04, me paying £366. The Tom Tom was posted to my home. Now, as I said earlier, at the time I thought this was a good price, when in fact I found out a couple of weeks later on my return home that it was available from internet dealers for around £320.

There's always the possibility that Dixons do in fact pay vat to HMRC and make it look otherwise on the receipts, just discounting their inflated price to make it look realistic. But we're probably getting in to conspiracy theory territory here. I'm still trying to get an answer from HMRC.

I bought my D700 from Dixons tax free when leaving LHR for a flight to Paris last August. The D700 had just come out and every retailer was selling them for about 2 grand. Dixons had them at £1700, so I picked it up.

I paid for it on a credit card, had a receipt which I believe just said "discount" on it - the original price was £2000. I did take the camera with me to Paris and back. Alternatively, you can pay there and collect on your return. The point about collecting on return is you collect land-side, once you're through customs (in the arrivals hall), so clearly and duty that is to be paid already has been. :)

I can't see how Dixons can offer goods with no duty/tax whatever, paid on them to uk residents. They are offering you a discount price which equates to the price less the tax you would have paid.

Co-incidentally, today I received this reply from HMRC in answer to my question about airport "duty free" shops posting goods to home addresses.

Thank you for your letter dated 2 September 2009, concerning Duty Free purchases at airports.

I understand that airside shops sell tax paid goods like High Street shops do. Airside shops can Zero Rate goods if a boarding card is produced by the purchaser which indicates that the goods are to be exported outside the EC. In this instance, the purchaser should take the goods from the shop personally and export them. A shop would not be allowed to post Zero Rated Goods to a U K address in this country.

There may be confusion because airside shops are often still referred to as Duty Free or Tax Free shops. These terms are no longer used.

I need clarification of exactly what you mean by Duty Free Sales and whether the shops are airside. If the shops offering this service are landsideor,if airside, are selling tax paid goods to a person travelling intra EC,the shop could not Zero Rate the sale.Therefore,there would be no tax loss to Revenue and Customs if the article was posted to a home address.

In some cases, shops may advertise their goods as VAT Free as an advertising slogan to attract Custom.However, they would still have to account for the V A T to this Department unless it was sold airside to a passenger travelling outside the European Union.

I must emphasise that the advice given is based on the information you have supplied if the nature of the transaction changes in technical detail or the relevant details provided were incomplete or incorrect we will not be bound by this ruling.

End of reply.

So there we are. Clearer or not?

That's perfectly clear.

In short, any terminology shops use for "tax free" or "duty free" is purely marketing. Such airside shops can sell goods duty free only if the purchaser shows a boarding pass for a country outside the EU. In all other cases, the purchaser will pay the duty item, whether collected or posted to his UK address.

Back