Safari equipment advice

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to book a last minute safari to South Africa for late January and would like some general advice on equitment to take.
I've been told the game parks in South Africa are a bit more controlled and generally you don't go off the road as much, therefore the game might not be as close as other countries. With that in mind I'd like some telephoto advice.
I have the following kit already:
- Canon 6D
- 24-105 L
- 100- 300 5.6L
- 40 2.8 pancake

The 100-300 5.6L is optically excellent, but slow. I'm also unsure if 300mm will be enough reach.
My consideration is to buy a 2nd crop body and have the 100-300 on say a 70D and the 24-105 on the 6D. Or to buy either a sigma 50-500 to put on the 6D or buy a 400mm 5.6L prime.
I like the idea of having two bodies so not to swap lenses in the dust.
Is there any other equitment I should consider?

I've been to Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park in SA and took the only lenses I had at the time, a 18-200mm and a 300mm plus 1.4tc on a crop body. This was about 630mm at f5.6. I didn't think this was too short there as you're on roads going along dried up river beds and the watering holes are quite close to the roads so the animals were generally close enough. The sun is so bright you'll not have trouble at 5.6 but I don't know about the focusing speed. The animals tend to be quite inactive during the day so you won't have any trouble with focusing in that respect.

I don't know about the 50-500 but I agree that a not having to swap is much better. I had to keep swapping and got some sand in the body. Not the end of the world as only tiny bits but better not to have to do that if you can afford it/want to carry the extra weight in your luggage.

I don't know canon options but I'd say a bit more reach would be better.

Enjoy your trip and if you need any company... ;)

Reactions: RIR
I went to Entabeni Safari Reserve in September. I had a 70-200 f4L on one body, and a 17-40 f4L on another. I also took a Kenko 1.4 TC, which I used once, for lions on a hill ridge. I never felt that I needed more reach (except for small birds), at times we were almost too close, especially with the larger animals, or groups of animals, but this is a small, privately owned, reserve. I also used a flashgun once, when the guide indicated that it would be OK. The likes of Kruger, etc., may well be different. Disclaimer: I'm no expert, by any means ☺

Last edited:
I went on a Safari on September to Tanzania and asked pretty much the same questions as you before I went.

Bean bag was a must, especially for the type of vehicle we were in where theres a bit hatch in the roof you stand up through.
Buy yourself a couple of cheap pillow cases or similar, take them with you so that you have something to put over the whole camera+lens when driving around, massively reduces the dust. I forgot to do this so used a disposable shower cap out of the hotel on the front of my lens.
I took a 550d which I had an 18-200 on it and an 80d with a 100-400 MK I, I also took a 1.4x extender but found the image quality and focusing to be a bit poor so didn't bother with it. I wanted to avoid changing lens's in the field to minimise any dust issues.
Tripod - I took one, used it once, wouldn't bother again.
Batteries - I had 2 genuine Canons and some cheaper amazon ones, because I had a battery grip on both the battery life is great, didn't want to risk it running out mid shoot, In the end I charged the Canons every night and never used the cheap ones.
Memory cards - Take LOTs, I shot in RAW + JPG and have 8500 files to sort through, that was from 5 days. Also had my Macbook and a portable HDD, every night I backed up the memory card to the laptop and the HDD, incase there was any corruption issues or something getting pinched. See if you can get something that can copy SD to a USB stick. DO make a backup copy though, and keep one backup in your hand luggage.

The 100-400 was only just long enough, most shots were at full extension and I could have got better with maybe a Sigma 150-600 but still there were some good shots:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36055693@N00/30210032122/in/album-72157671706229124/

Enjoy, you'll have a great time.

Hi Dave,

Is it the Kruger Park you're going to? If so, then it depends if you're going to a private reserve in Kruger, or the main reserve. The main reserve is self-drive, but you must stick on the roads at all times. Some are tarred, some are dirt. Accom is basic, but there restaurants at most camps, as well as a shop which stocks food supplies.

With the private reserves, it's not self-drive, you go in a jeep early morning and late afternoon. They go off-road, have radios and can take you to the game. A lot of pampering in the camps. It's a lot more expensive obviously.

Personally I love the main camp, and try to go every year.

Just be aware January is the middle of summer, and it will be VERY hot. But the joy of self-drive is you can have the air-con on full blast. Wind down the windows for some shots and back up again!

Also, I'd recommend a pair of binoculars and a book to ID the animals.

Thanks for all the advice. I think it's the main park I'm going to.
I've decided to use the equipment I've got and spend the extra on hot balloon ride

Rent a 100-400l or buy second hand and sell on when you return I've done this twice and would say it is the perfect lens for the keen amateur on safari!

Back