Safari lens?

tlr

Edit My Images
Yes
I am off to Africa on a Safari in the autumn, so obviously it’s a great excuse for a new lens!

The 2 main contenders are the Sigma 50-500 and the Canon 100-400.

Has anybody any advice regarding these lenses and their suitability for safari useage? I’m guessing that the IQ is slightly better on the Canon, whilst obviously the Sigma has better reach. Do I need this extra reach for this purpose?

I wouldn’t use either lens much in the UK so I’d either sell it again afterwards, or maybe just hire one for the holiday (but I’d still need to know which to hire).

Thanks in advance.

I am off to Africa on a Safari in the autumn, so obviously it’s a great excuse for a new lens!

The 2 main contenders are the Sigma 50-500 and the Canon 100-400.

Has anybody any advice regarding these lenses and their suitability for safari useage? I’m guessing that the IQ is slightly better on the Canon, whilst obviously the Sigma has better reach. Do I need this extra reach for this purpose?

I wouldn’t use either lens much in the UK so I’d either sell it again afterwards, or maybe just hire one for the holiday (but I’d still need to know which to hire).

Thanks in advance.

I took the 100-400mm to Tanzania a couple of years back. The IS was great advantage as almost everything was shot from a vehicle, too dangerous to get out:LOL: If you can find one 2nd hand it should hold its value too!

Where are you going on safari? Africa's a big place and different locations have different accessibility. What camera - crop or full frame?

I've often found that if you go much beyond 700mm FF (500mm crop) the air quality isn't ideal to get a sharp shot - obviously much more so for big mammals than small birds.

Camera is 40d.

Haven't booked the holiday yet so don't know where! We are looking at Kenya, Tanzania and South Africa. I am assuming that most photos will be from a jeep rather than wandering around.

Interesting point about air quality, although as we will be at the end of the rains probably, we might get some showers to clear the air a bit?

I am assuming that most photos will be from a jeep rather than wandering around.

A very good idea i think !!!!

Generally, SA is more "scrubby" than east Africa and so a shorter lens would be less of an issue. Land Rovers/Cruisers are often open topped in southern Africa so you are looking at hand holding or a monopod so, for there I would recommend a lens with IS.

For east Africa, you are normally in a vehicle with a roof and so can use a beanbag for support so IS is less of an issue. It still depends where you are going as in some places, the cars aren't allowed to leave the tracks and so you may be some distance from the animals but in other places (Masai Mara) vehicles tend to go off road and get you closer.

In reality, you won't go far wrong with either option.

Good advice from 'badger ... personally, having owned most of the options, I would go 150-500 OS Sigma if it was a single lens choice. You'll be shooting much of the time at f8.0 during the golden hours morning and late afternoon and at that most of the mid range zooms are pretty similar in IQ so no need to spend more. Differences likely to be copy dependant. You really need a top prime to get significantly better. The OS is much better than the older IS on the 100-400 if you need to hand hold more and 500mm is about optimum much of the time. Most of my shots are either right at the long end or around the 200-300mm range. For my next trip I'm taking the 150-500 OS and 300mm 2.8 VR. Previous times have taken 400mm L, 1.4x and 70-200 IS L 4.0 or 70-300mm VR. All have proven good choices. The 50-500mm IS also excellent but lack of OS now counts against it just because you can't always shift to use a beanbag on a window. I normally have at least one lens IS/OS/VR for that reason.

Thanks, IS does sound sensible.

Did you need a TC with that or was 400mm long enough?

400mm was fine most of the time, of course there were situations when 500, 600mm or longer would have been nice especially with the birds. I can only speak for myself but I think I made a good choice. BTW I toured the Serengeti where the dust is like fine talc so wouldn't recommend changing lenses or fitting convertors when out.
A shemagh (like arab headgear) was useful for wrapping the camera in while driving about as was befriending the driver who was a top bloke and went out of his way to help.
Dead jealous have a great time(y)

Cheers all. Sounds like the 100mm difference between 400 and 500 isn't vital, but that its worth looking out for some sort of IS. I'll see wht comes up second hand between now and departure, or just hire something suitable if nothing turns up to buy.

Realy looking forward to it.

Cheers all. Sounds like the 100mm difference between 400 and 500 isn't vital, but that its worth looking out for some sort of IS. I'll see wht comes up second hand between now and departure, or just hire something suitable if nothing turns up to buy.

Realy looking forward to it.

I agree. I've been to Tanzania with a 350D and a 200mm f/2.8 prime and to Namibia with a 30D and a 300mm f/4 prime (both canons). The reach was generally long enough on both occasions - there were very few shots that I missed because of focal length issues.

I've never been near the Sigma, so I can't comment on it. But I've got a Canon 100-400mm IS and that's reasonably sharp and usable handheld at 400mm. However, if I had to choose between that or the 300mm f/4 (which is non IS) for a Safari, I'd take the 300mm. Its razor sharp and superb optically. Its also lighter than the 100-400.

If you could team up a 300mm prime along with a say 70-200mm and something a bit wider for sunsets and the like, then I think you'd be fine for most situations.

Have a look on my flickr at the Tanzania and Namibia sets (especially, perhaps, the birds in Namibia) and you'll get an idea of what can be achieved with those options.

As for the dust - yes there's lots of it. But that's why sensor cleaners exist. Just be a bit canny when you're changing lenses. My 30D got covered in the stuff in Namibia - its still fine. Bin bags help.

MV

Can't help with the lens choice, just thought I'd mention don't forget to put the camera down sometimes on safari, you can get obsessed with getting great pictures and miss out on the actual experience of being on safari! Also, if you have not been Zambia is excellent - Lower Zambezi NP, you'll see less animals than in the countries you have sugested but you'll also see less other people and cars - as our guide said 'it's really wild!' + you can add in a trip to Vic Falls.

Have a great trip either way.

Can't help with the lens choice, just thought I'd mention don't forget to put the camera down sometimes on safari, you can get obsessed with getting great pictures and miss out on the actual experience of being on safari!

Too right! Some of my best memories are in my head :)

Back