Safest way to pay for something on forum...Paypal or bank transfer?

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
No
Hi, going to buy something tomorrow from the for sale section of this forum, the seller has said paypal (presume gift) or bank transfer? Need to know asap! Thanks Alex :)

Either way is as safe as the other
Bank transfers are supposed to be instant but can take 5 days :(
Paypal gift apparently give no "buyer protection" but will be almost instant

Last edited:
They both offer the same level of protection - none. Choose whichever one is most convenient.....

Yep thats it in a nutshell, bottom line is you have no guarantee whatsoever they will send the goods.

why sometimes its worth pying the fees when sending via paypal, as stated if you send as gift u have no buyer protection, foundout the hard way :(

I think you will find PayPal offers little protection away from ebay anyway.

I would rather buy from someone on here than someone on ebay anyway.

Yep thats it in a nutshell, bottom line is you have no guarantee whatsoever they will send the goods.

99.9% of the togs on here are honest!! Arn't they?

99.9% of the togs on here are honest!! Arn't they?

There's always one though, due diligence is the key. Check the other party's itrader rating, if anything looks suspicious then do some more digging, before parting with goods or cash.

I think you will find PayPal offers little protection away from ebay anyway.

Quoted from a payment notification email to me, as a non-eBay seller:

Reversals: Please be aware that your payment can still be reversed, (e.g. if it is subject to a chargeback), even after you have posted the item to your buyer. Complying with PayPal's protection programmes and following the trading guidelines, in our Security Centre helps to protect you from things like chargebacks.

Complying with their protection programmes includes tracking and proof of delivery, though proof of posting was (eventually) accepted when an eCheque was disputed by a customer's Bank (and PayPauper couldn't be arsed to ask my customer whether the item had been received). That instance, to my mind, was solely between PayPal and the Bank and should not have inconvenienced me in any way.

Probably the safest way is cheque, as you get a name and an address I guess.

Personally here I just use BT's - as a buyer and seller. No problem.

I don't like Paypal due to the chargeback threat.. or the way they randomly freeze and hold money, and can't explain why!

Probably the safest way is cheque, as you get a name and an address I guess.

Personally here I just use BT's - as a buyer and seller. No problem.

I don't like Paypal due to the chargeback threat.. or the way they randomly freeze and hold money, and can't explain why!

BTs can actually be reversed too, it's another of those loopholes the Nigerian scammers discovered...

As has been said, if you're a buyer neither of the above offer you any protection. For higher value purchases I only pay via BT and ask for a name, address and land line phone number. I then call the seller and make sure everything sounds genuine. For very high value purchases I only pay cash on collection, inspecting the item and asking for a receipt. If the seller sounds iffy I just walk away.

Generally buying from forums means you're buying from fellow togs. If you do a bit of research (how long on forum, types of posts etc) you can get a "feel" for the type of person they are. Plus if they talk on the phone and come across as fellow enthusiasts with a good reason for selling your less likely to run into trouble.

Always though it is caveat emptor. If you get a bad feeling walk away.

Well as this was "urgent" 4 days ago I guess the O/P is sorted
Its OK Alex no need to thank us its a pleasure (y)

Dealing in person (safe location, daytime) may be the safest bet. It may be well worth the travel, particularly if it is above around £300. There may be a genuine fault with the item that the seller is not even aware for example.

P.S. PayPal does offer some *real* buyer protection on ebay. It helped me to return a bad Sigma lens. Ebay is a bit like a lottery, unless one is extremely cautious.

Back