Saltburn by the sea

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
The carriages that take people up and down the Cliff.

Only one in country I think.

MG_2495.jpg

Last edited:
I think the Lynton one is the only water powered one, have read through the link/website I posted it is quite clever how it works, what else is around the Darlington lift? I will be in that area in a few weeks and may stop off for a few hours to have a look.

I think the Lynton one is the only water powered one, have read through the link/website I posted it is quite clever how it works, what else is around the Darlington lift? I will be in that area in a few weeks and may stop off for a few hours to have a look.

Sorry for being thick but what do you mean?

Opened on 28th June 1884, this is the oldest remaining waterbalance cliff lift in Britain. Height of the lift is 120 ft, length of the track is 207 ft. Refurbished with stained glass windows. Links Saltburn pier, one of the few left in the country, with the town.

Last edited:
I was asking if this lift is part of something else? A tourist attraction? Does the area have any good photographic opportunities?
I travel a lot with work all over the UK and I sometimes have time between appointments to have a stop off and look around. Darlington is an area where I will be in about three weeks so I could stop and take a look if time allows.

I was asking if this lift is part of something else? A tourist attraction? Does the area have any good photographic opportunities?
I travel a lot with work all over the UK and I sometimes have time between appointments to have a stop off and look around. Darlington is an area where I will be in about three weeks so I could stop and take a look if time allows.

The lift is at Saltburn on the coast south of Middlesbrough. There is also a pier and quite nice beach and cliffs. Darlington has a railway museum near the centre of town and, on the outskirts, a large train sculpture made of bricks. Nearby is Shildon where there is a National Railway Museum (part of the one in York) because the first train started in Shildon, and a vintage vehicle museum. A few miles away is Spennymoor where the Whitworth Hall Hotel was the home of Bobby Shafto. There is a monument, deer park and garden with pub. At Sedgefield there is Hardwick Country Park with lakes and walks in the grounds of a hotel. There are other places but it depends how far you want to travel. Best to look all these up on the internet. The Northumbrian Tourist Board website has details of the whole area I think.

Regards.

Scarborough has a whole host of such lifts, but not water powered. But then, you can't see the water power at work can you?

This will totally freak the crap out of me.

Nice shot mate. I would never dare to take a shot in such position...

Back