Samantha Harrington

Edit My Images
Yes
Few pics from last weeks's shoot with Samantha. First proper attempt at trying my new 580EX II's out along with my new modifiers.

I posted these on a few forums and the harsh critics mentioned the following:

1. Her red nose (possibly because it was quite cold). A few said to fix it with lighting but no-one went any further. How would I do this?
2. Mostly under-exposed. I intended this exposure but a few said they're far too dark. They look fine on my monitor and give a 'eerie'-look. Comments?
3. Incorrect white balance. I struggled with the ambient light quite a bit. Any advice?
4. Harsh shadows. I intended this and liked the effect, yet people still mentioned it. Is it generally a no-no even though some people like that style?

a10ea5e8.jpg

ead969e4.jpg

fd42ab92.jpg

616385cd.jpg

e08533e2.jpg

5db367c4.jpg

They won't be to everyone's taste but they're all intended... Feel free to share your opinion.

Few more can be seen on my Facebook page.

I like them, and you got what you went out to get. That's more important than what others think.

Graham

Not too shabby there Luke (y) Number one stands out the most for me.

The light looks hard, did you diffuse it? umbrella or summin? as there is a little flash burn on the skin there. Soften it up more and get the light in close.

The white balance issues are occurring as your in auto, slap it into 'flash' instead. I have used cloudy and daylight settings when colour correcting or going for effects, on an evening, try a full cut CTO gel and slip your white balance to tungsten for some McNally style moods.

Maybe look at getting some correction gels. Well worth it.

Also, the rim lighting that you were going for looks much better if you flag or gobo it up. Flare can look cool but it can also look not so cool.

Apologies for the dodgy examples but have a look here.

White balance is an issue for me in my photos at the moment. Here's how I resolve it.

For each light set up I get the model to hold a white/grey card, which I can then click on to set a white point in my RAW processing program (Aperture). THis give a more constant balance on the model. Different lighting in the background may vary, but the subject will remain consistent. This is quite important If I were sending a set to a magazine, as I'd need the models skin to have a consistent colour.

I must say the white card I have at the moment tends to introduce a very slight green cast, which I knock back by a set amount each time.

The red nose can be corrected easily in PS. I just created an adjustment layer; decreased the saturation and saturation in red channel (both by -10). Then inverted the mask, and painted over the nose area on the mask. this was on the third shot, the others would use different amounts.

White balance is an issue for me in my photos at the moment. Here's how I resolve it.

For each light set up I get the model to hold a white/grey card, which I can then click on to set a white point in my RAW processing program (Aperture). THis give a more constant balance on the model. Different lighting in the background may vary, but the subject will remain consistent. This is quite important If I were sending a set to a magazine, as I'd need the models skin to have a consistent colour.

I must say the white card I have at the moment tends to introduce a very slight green cast, which I knock back by a set amount each time.
Is there a tutorial to explain exactly how to do this? I've not really looked into this before and I really need to.

The light was diffused and shot through a shoot-through white umbrella at 1/4 power.

I'll try to write one.
If your shooting RAW, heres how to do it.
Open up your image in Canon's DPP supplied software, click the tools button. In the RAW tab, there is a White balance adjustment section. Click on the eye dropper. Then you select the grey (or white) area of your grey/test card. The software then corrects the white balance for you. You can then store this as a preset, so all the images following (using the same lighting) you just click on the store adjustment button.

If your shooting jpg, it's no so easy.

Brilliant, so I just need her to hold up a white piece of paper or something?

I like them, apart from no 4, which for some reason just doesn't hit the spot for me. I think the white balance problem is particularly noticable in number 2 and is definately cool. Do you shoot RAW?

There are some great tutorials for photoshop and lightroom at www.thedigitalphotographyconnnection.com they also do a podcast of short vodeo tutorials which are also excellent.

No, you need an 18% grey card to get a correct white balance

As long as the exposure is correct, you can use white paper, be careful it is pure white and you don't over expose it. 18% grey while it works, is best for checking exposures. The main thing is the colour is neutral, pure grey, not cokin grey. Same with white, must be pure white.

Last edited:
As long as the exposure is correct, you can use white paper, be careful it is pure white and you don't over expose it. 18% grey while it works, is best for checking exposures.

That's the problem right there, white to most people looks white, but there are a myriad of shades of the colour.

When I remember to take it with me :LOL: I use one of these

So I need to get 18% grey card and expose the image properly, then adjust the WB later in Lightroom... Where can I get these cards from?

That's the problem right there, white to most people looks white, but there are a myriad of shades of the colour.

When I remember to take it with me :LOL: I use one of these

Yea, pure white cards are quite expensive, and get dirty if not stored properly. I've seen one grey card (lastolite) that wasn't a consistent grey either. The really good cards for acurate colour balance cost quite a bit. That link is very good and useful.

Back