Samantha

Name
Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
Went over to Nottingham today to meet Samantha for a shoot. Hope you like…..

1)
6831288615_cc1b17c06c_b.jpg

2)
6831299293_9d7bcf00d0_b.jpg

3)
6831283399_34caf74a4e_b.jpg

4)
6831314181_727e3dd92d_b.jpg

5)
6831317213_e1bbe29c21_b.jpg

Very beautiful set..I like the sharpness and clarity you are always able to get in your pics.
I think for me number 1 is number 1, but all are great.

Agree with what has been said. May I ask how you are lighting these as I would love to do some on location portraiture.

3 4 and 5 all work for me, i think i would have to vote 4 if picking one

really well lit ryan, inthat they clearly are beautifully lit but almost dont look it

in summary you can go off people !!!

Great set of beautiful photographs first and last images are favorite for me.

Thank you :)

#3 For me Ryan..all excellent as always (y)

Cheers Dave mate. Much appreciated. Will hopefully see you again this year...

Very beautiful set..I like the sharpness and clarity you are always able to get in your pics.
I think for me number 1 is number 1, but all are great.

Cheers chap :)

Agree with what has been said. May I ask how you are lighting these as I would love to do some on location portraiture.

Well (Dave/Tigerdriver will be shocked to hear) that the first two are naturally lit. On a cloudy day with snow on the ground the natural light is just about as soft as you can get - and the snow acts as a natural reflector. So initially I was shooting with natural light only.

The last three images are all lit with one SB-900 flash fired through a medium sized Lastolite Ezybox Softbox with fabric grid attached. The grid contains the light and the softbox helps to soften the light a tad. I've underexposed the ambient light by a stop or so and powered the flash up to provide the right (for me) amount of light to create the drama.

Feel free to join me if your even in the Cambs area.

nice set! Agree with everyone else that the lighting is great

number 4 for me.

Cheers mate :)

wonderful set number 3 for me tho

Cheers Hayley :)

3 4 and 5 all work for me, i think i would have to vote 4 if picking one

really well lit ryan, inthat they clearly are beautifully lit but almost dont look it

in summary you can go off people !!!

Oi!!

Thanks a lot mate. Number 4 was certainly my favourite of the day too :)

Some very nice images there young man.. I will be attempting more shots like these myself this year.. " If I get mine half as good I will be happy..!!"

Regards Dave(y)

Some very nice images there young man.. I will be attempting more shots like these myself this year.. " If I get mine half as good I will be happy..!!"

Regards Dave(y)

Cheers bud - although you might be surprised - I'm probably older than you :D

Ryan, it pains me to say this but they don't really do anything for me.

1. Just seems stiff, too posey.

2. Samantha's right hand detracts, especially the heel of the thumb.

3. Right foot disappearing into darkness, don't like the wrinkled tights on her right knee, and the belt hanging between her legs detracts.

4. This I do like, I like the way the arch of her back mirrors the arch of the stonework.

5. Like the animation, storytelling and naturalness of this.

Technically they are excellent but IMV, but they lack natural feeling or inner beauty of Samantha, which is something you normally manage to bring out so well.

I also appreciate it was obviously bloody cold, perhaps you had an opportunity, with the right clothing, to shoot winter fashion.

Just my opinion.

jeff

OK I've been mulling over my thoughts, and it's been brought up before...

I personally like everything about them apart from her trousers. This by the way is not criticising the model for her looks, they don't, in my opinion, do her any favours, with the creases at knee and upper leg in three, nor the wrinkles in 4.

As ever some striking and different poses, and the lightings not too shabby either. (y)

Ryan, it pains me to say this but they don't really do anything for me.

1. Just seems stiff, too posey.

2. Samantha's right hand detracts, especially the heel of the thumb.

3. Right foot disappearing into darkness, don't like the wrinkled tights on her right knee, and the belt hanging between her legs detracts.

4. This I do like, I like the way the arch of her back mirrors the arch of the stonework.

5. Like the animation, storytelling and naturalness of this.

Technically they are excellent but IMV, but they lack natural feeling or inner beauty of Samantha, which is something you normally manage to bring out so well.

I also appreciate it was obviously bloody cold, perhaps you had an opportunity, with the right clothing, to shoot winter fashion.

Just my opinion.

jeff

No worries Jeff - I always respect your critique mate.

1) A friend mentioned that to me earlier so it's probably right. It was literally the first shot of the day and models often take a few minutes to relax - especially with a new tog.

2) I quite liked her hand there - in fact I told her to do it.

3) That'll be mainly due to the vignette I put around the picture. Perhaps I should have left well alone. If the foot had gone totally dark I would have reigned it back but I figured you can still see it so I left as you see here. Totally agree with you on the creases. Don't like them either. I suppose it's a photoshop job. I hadn't noticed the belt and you're right - it's not good. Again a photoshop job really.

4) Cheers - it was my favourite of the shoot.

5) Funnily enough - the last one is too "fun" for my liking :D My least favourite although technically I like it.

I know what you mean about not bringing out her inner beauty - I'd not met her before and sometimes that shows in a photo. We got straight into the shoot and perhaps should have spent more time getting to know each other. She brought her cousin with her to the shoot and they spoke in a language I'd not heard before - I think it's called yoof ;)

Last edited:
OK I've been mulling over my thoughts, and it's been brought up before...

I personally like everything about them apart from her trousers. This by the way is not criticising the model for her looks, they don't, in my opinion, do her any favours, with the creases at knee and upper leg in three, nor the wrinkles in 4.

As ever some striking and different poses, and the lightings not too shabby either. (y)

Cheers mate. I must admit I was surprised when Samantha changed into those trousers. They looked to me like the kind of thing you wear while you're bumming around the house. Not exactly high fashion….

But I should have been aware of the creases. :bang: Although 4 is perfect so bugger off :D

Thanks for commenting matey x

Just been editing a few more (I always edit too many). Here's a couple….

6)
6837293515_6e86722049_b.jpg

7)
6837299023_2d115d0d24_b.jpg

8)
6837280859_c74631fc20_b.jpg

(go on - mention the hand :bang:)

9)
6837285129_4cd5dd332b_b.jpg

Thankyou for detailing how you lit them for me. An ezybox is on the birthday list so I may have one of those by next week! And many thanks for the offer to join you, a bit far away in Wigan unfortunately but appreciate the offer. :)

3 more really nice shots by the way!

3 & 4 are the best.
Its about creating shapes with models, & 4 stands out better than the later one where shes looking at the camera as its looks too amateur-ish ,. on both model & togs behalf.
3 creates excellent shapes & adds a mood.
4 gives it a high end fashion feel & makes us ask questions.

Don't like the motion one >< The model looks.. strange.. not "modelly" at all, Her makeup is going creased, bless her. I don't know, something about it I just don't like.

Numero 9.... Yeah great stuff, I used a bench for some photos with a romanian model & works wonders , model is natural & comfortable.. adds contrast... the joys of a bench hey :D

Like these Ryan, but struggle to add anything that hasn't been said.

Have her jeans got wet in 1? damp patch on lower leg?
I don't like the hair over the collar by her face on the LHS in 2.
If she was on tiptoes on both feet in 4 her bodyshape would curve more, possibly being more graceful. Her arm also chops off her behind making it look flat.
5 I really like, and is the stand out shot of the first group.

I like the idea of 6, but it jsut doesn't quite do it for me. Her hair is bulging on her collar, and her right leg doesn't have the curves of the left as she is off centre.

7 I don't like. The pants don't help, looks like she ahs something in her pocket and the elastic is cutting in on her waist.

8 I do like. I don't mind the had, possibly a crop on the LHS so she is looking into the frame more?

9 is very good too. I would crop the RHS to match the gap from the bench on the LHS so the bench is dead centre to the frame. For me this is the stand out of the last group.

Good set of shots, better than I could get! Hope you don't mind the critique.

For me the lighting works well and lift the clothing nicely away for the background. The second set of these work much better than the first as the model looks less wooded.

Back