Samyang 85mm 1.4

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
HAs anyone used one of these? I've never heard of them but have seen one on Amazon for a decent price. How hard is it to manually focus with a 1.4 lens? My 1.8 50mm took some time to get used to the focus, can imagine it would be harder with a 1.4 though. I do need an 85mm so am tempted by this.

General feedback I have seen is that IQ is excellent with some people comparing it, and even rating it over the Nikon 85mm but as you say MF on a 1.4 would be a nightmare. Whats your intended use? The nikon 1.8 may be better suited (and an excellent lens it is too!)

Indoor and outdoor portraits, I already have a 30mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.8, this would go nicely in there with those. I might buy the 1.8 because I am used to manually focusing with the 50mm, but like you say, 1.4 could well be a nightmare and if it is, it's an expensive mistake.

It's the left-most blob in the D90's viewfinder status bar. Why don't Nikon place it centrally? :shrug: Anyway, it's illuminated when you're in focus.

It's the left-most blob in the D90's viewfinder status bar. Why don't Nikon place it centrally? :shrug: Anyway, it's illuminated when you're in focus.

Ahhh... Cheers for that. To be honest I presumed even the Nikons without motors had this feature and just had motors removed to say manufacturing costs.

Someone on here bought one, there's a thread about if you do a wee search. Seems to be decent enough for the money, but if it was me I'd rather have a 1.8 Nikon version, even if it wouldn't af either on your camera.....

It does indeed but it doesn't work with manual lenses which was my point.

Okidoke, I neither sell nor buy them, so should really keep my trap shut ;)

New Samyang is the price of a used ƒ/1.8 Nikkor . . .

Someone on here bought one, there's a thread about if you do a wee search. Seems to be decent enough for the money, but if it was me I'd rather have a 1.8 Nikon version, even if it wouldn't af either on your camera.....

Yeah, I thought this might be the general consensus, so I may well go for a second hand Nikon. To be honest once I got my head around it, manually focusing hasn't proved to be too difficult for portraits, would be MUCH harder for action or wildlife shots obviously.

The focus indicator in my D60 definitely helps but isn't always entirely accurate, I'm learning to trust my own instinct on it, with around an 80% success rate at the moment.

its not cheap enough for a manual lens when the AF 1.8 versions are not that much more.

Back