Sandisk VS Lexar?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

So far all my memory cards I have ever used are Sandisk memory cards. I never had any problem with any of them and they have always performed as expected.

I have been reading about Lexar memory cards and they seem to be very good. If you use both or the latter, what is your experience with the Lexar brand?

Looking at Amazon they have this 16GB 150Mb/s Lexar card for £71 (RRP £140)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0071LKB...nd=1846235991011718935&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

and this 16GB 90Mb/s Sandisk card for only few pounds less at £68 (RRP £225).

For that speed difference, I cant see why one would choose the Sandisk over the Lexar card? Am I missing something there?

Thanks

I've used lexar memory cards in the past and never had any problems at all. I've bought mainly sandisk cards for a while now though due to price/availability but I'd have no qualms buying that lexar card.

Last edited:
I've sued lexar memory cards in the past and never had any problems at all. I've bought mainly sandisk cards for a while now though due to price/availability but I'd have no qualms buying that lexar card.

Here's hoping you meant used :LOL:

Same here sandisk all the way! No issues with them, apart from the fakes one.

Thanks all, I have looked more into it.

It is easy to find the Sandisk's write speed but I can't find any write speed for the Lexar cards, they all state the read speed only, even their own website?

You chose Sandisk over Lexar because everyone thinks they are better, well they are not, sandisk have just done a better promotion job.

I use transcend sandisk Lexar and Delkin cards, the only difference has been the price. In fact I always thought Lexar was the more premium brand.

As for speeds, the write speed is not that big an issue as the faster cards can write quicker the most cameras can send the data to them( only the very latest cameras fully use UDMA 7.)
The read speed is what counts as that speeds up work flow when downloading to a computer, if your reader can handle that speed (usb3)

Last edited:
I have always used Sandisk CF cards but recently brought a couple of Lexar cards one of which failed about 2 months ago costing me a days work and 250 miles travel. I have since brought a Colorspace Hyperdrive which fits in my pocket and allows me to quickly back up throughout the day. I am sure Sandisk cards fail as well but I am now less keen to try alternatives.

I've had / got both and would buy either and recommend either without hesitation.

Just make sure you buy from a known place - Amazon is fine, but I wouldn't buy from Amazon Marketplace ...

I too have got both and I cannot tell any difference in performance. Would happily buy either from a reputable source depending upon what price is on offer.

I've only been using CF since 2005 and have only ever bought Kingston and now Transcend (apart from a Jessops own-brand emergency purchase). Never had a problem with any of them. As far as I'm aware, the limitation on burst rate has always been the camera and not the card. Price has been a determining factor in my purchasing but if I get good service from a brand, I tend to stick with it.

Watched "The Grid", from Kelbymedia, on Wednesday night and they discussed memory card brands. They did mention that an industry expert had stated that a lot of the failures and corruption of memory cards are due to cheap memory card readers and not the cards themselves.

Not saying I'd agree, just putting it out there for consideration.

Which ever brand of card you choose one thing is certain, the manufacturer has exaggerated the advertised read/write speed of the card.

a lot of the failures and corruption of memory cards are due to cheap memory card readers
I'd agree with that. I hade to chuck one card reader for that exact reason. Each time I attempted to copy more than 6 images it would lock up the computer and trash the images.

Last edited:
Again, thanks all for the replies, very helpful. Probably should have mentioned that they will be used with the latest cameras (Nikon D600 and D800), CF & SD cards.

iv'e been using CF cards for quite a few years from the original IBM micro drives, sandisk , kingson , jessops ( which are re badged sandisk ) , transend, lexar and dane elec ( duracell are re branded dane elec by the way ) the only difference between them is speed
reliability hasn't been an issue with any of them
i think if any are prone to failing it will be the lesser known brands over the like of sandisk but like i say i havn't had a problem with any of them

Back