Scarlet lily beetle

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Lovely colours. I can see a nice crop in there, taking a bit from the top and the left (sticking the beetle in the top left third, rather than central). My only other nit is the tip of that damaged leaf just touching the subject. Stooping down just a bit lower would have avoided this.

Sharp in the right place but could do with a little more magnification or cropping as Tim suggests if the image can take it without degrading the quality too much.

Yes really good colours agree with Tim and Alby a bit closer and lower down would be better:)

Thanks for the feedback folks :) I totally agree about the composition - it sucks! Basically, I noticed my lilies were half-eaten, saw the beetles on it and rushed to get a picture for ID (I'm new to this gardening lark and don't have a clue!). As a result, I was leaning in over the lily, had no balance, had to hold back a fern, and was trying to manually focus, so I was just glad one of the pictures was in focus!

Here's a crop I've just done. I'm a bit happier with the composition, although the DOF is a bit more narrow than I would like, but I always find DOF a struggle with this lens (1959 Nikkor micro f3.5).

Scarlet Lily Beetle crop
by Scottish Mike, on Flickr

Sadly my Photoshop skills are nowhere near good enough to clone out the hole in the leaf, but I guess it's rather apt, considering the subject :/

Back