Screw loose - 7D

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Got a screw slightly proud on the 7D just above the lens mount, no idea how long it's been like that. I've tried my small screwdrivers but they don't seem to fit perfectly and I don't want to risk knackering the head. Does anyone know what size this screw is or can point me to a service manual / schematic that has this info so I can buy the correct fit screwdriver?

Ta

View attachment 19540

Cheers Joe will send a pm, would like to use the exact screwdriver as I have a habit of using ones that seem to fit and then suffering the consequences...
Brash, they look just the job if one of those is the right fit. Thanks.

Ok, so according to the part catalogue the screw is: SCREW M1.7X5.5

But there doesn't seem to be such a thing as 1.7mm Phillips screwdriver, just 1.6 and 1.8... I'm clearly interpreting this wrong...

I was reading up on camera repairs the other day and was surprised to see that the Japanese use JIS style screws which it would seem are very similar to Phillips but not interchangeable.

Just Google JIS screwdrivers

HTH

David

Thanks David, very useful info. Never heard of them before will have to do some digging.

Seriously, just buy a set of ebay screwdrivers and don't worry about the 0.1mm difference. You won't be screwing it in until your hands bleed anyway, just until it's snug.

I've had super-cheapo precision screw drivers in the past and they've tended to come unGLUED from the handles even in normal, not high torque, use. Now got a set of slightly less cheap (but still not expensive) Stanley ones which are still working fine. For camera and lens screws, I have a little driver I got for keeping my specs' arms tightened up. £1.99 from Specsavers IIRC.

The issue here is the angle and depth of the screw. You can use a JIS driver on a Phillips screw but not the other way around. Using a Phillips or Pozidrive screwdriver on a JIS screw will more than likely ruin the head of the screw.

You have been warned :)

Looks like there aren't many JIS drivers for sale in the UK, pain to import one bit still cheaper than taking it to a repair shop I guess.

Back