SD Card - Is it the REAL deal?

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
A relative sent an Amazon voucher for my birthday. Bought an 8GB 95mb/s San Disk A few people have said they are FAKES or not what they say they are. LOADS and LOADS were happy with the purchase. Some people seem to have tested their card on the computer. Is there a special program that allows you to see what the actual capacity(?) and speed really are? Thanks in advance.

Don't need a special program.
Put the card in your card reader.
Go into My Computer and right click on your card/the drive to which your card is connected.
Click on Properties.
Used space / Free space / Capacity will be displayed

Don't need a special program.
Put the card in your card reader.
Go into My Computer and right click on your card/the drive to which your card is connected.
Click on Properties.
Used space / Free space / Capacity will be displayed

Having seen the Watchdog article about fake memory/drives recently I think this can be faked as well.

It would seem the only way to be sure of the memory capacity is to actually fill it up with data that you know the size of.

The fake drives seem to be set up so that the tiny amount of storage the drive actually contains is continuously over written giving the illusion the data is being saved until you try to access the data afterwards.

HTH

David

need to write data to it and then read it back to verify it

search for H2testw 1.4 and use that.

Just watch where you dl it from though

Another way to check is just go to sandisk website and compare your card to the images on the website, there's always tell tell signs that its a fake card by just the way it looks compared to a real card, or post an image on here of the card. Don't used amazon for buying cards anymore due to issues with cards, not sure whether the rumours were true, but because they fulfill orders for other sellers, fakes and real cards were just being mixed up, so it was like pop luck whether you got a real card or not, but I don't know how true that is?

Thanks for all that. Have bought other things through amazon which have been okay while others are certainly copies.

copy 8gb of stuff to it and check the speed, and if it actually takes 7.whatever gb of data

copy 8gb of stuff to it and check the speed, and if it actually takes 7.whatever gb of data

You may well be able to put 7.X GB of data onto it...... but will you be able to get it back off???

that's where the H2testw program is useful.

At last, 10 days after leaving Germany, the card has arrived. Will test it later.
I know it is probably a silly question, I'm a beginner, but why does my D60 show 632 raw images would fit on an 8gb card while the D7000 can only manage 221?
Pixles?

At last, 10 days after leaving Germany, the card has arrived. Will test it later.
I know it is probably a silly question, I'm a beginner, but why does my D60 show 632 raw images would fit on an 8gb card while the D7000 can only manage 221?
Pixles?
The D60 is a 10MP camera, the D7000 is a 16MP camera so each image from the D7000 will contain more data. Pixels are one way to think of it :)

Last edited:
I should have added also that the D60 uses 12 bit compressed format for the raw files whilst the D7000 is capable of lossless 14bit compression so the files will be even bigger in the latter case.

Back