SDHC Cards

Name
Glenn
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone explain in a couple of sentences the differences between classes on SD Cards?

As I've now purchased a Canon 60D I need to purchase new memory, and have previously worked with CF cards.

The majority of the time the cards will be used to capture images, but on occasion I will be using the video functions too.

I have an 8GB Transcend card coming with the camera, and have also purchased an eye-fi card too (4GB Connect X2)

What is deemed to be the best card at the moment (between 4GB and 32GB) for reliability?

Price not a major consideration, as I would rather spend more for a quality product with less chance of failure.

I don't intend to be shooting endless images one after the other.

Thanks in advance for any advice given

Last edited:
The higher the class, the faster the card.

I've recently bought some 4GB and 8GB Sandisk Class 10s from 7Dayshop at very reasonable prices.

I would never buy from Ebay and would be very wary of Amazon.

digital said:

I've recently bought some 4GB and 8GB Sandisk Class 10s from 7Dayshop at very reasonable prices.

Blimey not heard of this place! Seems a lot cheaper than most!!

Care to enlighten us as to why amazon should be avoided? Especially as 7dayshop sell on there AND on ebay.

'Class 10 asserts that the card supports 10 MB/s as a minimum write speed' according to Wikipedia.

There are faster SD cards using the Ultra-High Speed (UHS) interface which is available on some SDHC and SDXC cards. These are now called UHS-1 cards which have a write speed of 45MB/s, and may have faster read speeds.

A card could be UHS-1 and Class 10, because it writes at 45MB/s which is faster than the Class 10MB/s minimum. ;)

Whether the camera can take advantage of the faster cards is something you would need to look into. But you can never have too fast a card. ;)

I've mostly bought my cards from Mymemory and 7DayShop

Last edited:
I got a 'SanDisk Secure Digital High Capacity Card Extreme Video HD 16GB' from Amazon last week for my 60D. They have a photo of them as 20Mps but when it arrived they are 45mps. I have seen a few people on here who have had the same.

Happy days!

Also bear in mind that a "good" (read as known brand, not knock off) Class 6 can often outperform a "bad" (read as "glue and go", knock off, unbranded) Class 10 in the real world.

Amazon (sold and supplied by themselves) or MyMemory (either direct or via Amazon) are the two places I've bought from recently and not been disappointed in the product (it was a real one), price (was good) or performance (met or exceeded the spec advertised).

I got a 'SanDisk Secure Digital High Capacity Card Extreme Video HD 16GB' from Amazon last week for my 60D. They have a photo of them as 20Mps but when it arrived they are 45mps. I have seen a few people on here who have had the same.

Happy days!

I have some 'SanDisk Secure Digital High Capacity Card Extreme Video HD 8GB' although they are only 30MB/s :cautious:, got them from Amazon (proper) for around £12 each. 8GB holds over 500 RAW files so I don't feel the need to use 16GB cards in the camera.

I rarely shoot in CH or video, so the speed only affects with the transfer to the computer, which I'm not massively bothered about.

Care to enlighten us as to why amazon should be avoided? Especially as 7dayshop sell on there AND on ebay.

I think that the poster means Amazon Market place, there are a few Ebay type sellers on there. Anything fullfilled by Amazon is ok, or has been for me so far.

I have 7dayshop 32gb SDHC cards and have had no problems, yet.

Blimey not heard of this place! Seems a lot cheaper than most!!

They're cheaper because being a channel islands vendor, they don't pay VAT on items below a specific value.

However, the tories have closed that loophole, and from April 1st*, they'll have to charge VAT on any item. So either prices will go up by 20%, and thus no longer be competitive with mainland retailers, or they'll have to undercut themselves essentially and go broke.

* There was a last-minute appeal earlier this month, where the channel islands finally admitted (after decades of denial) that losing their VAT-exempt status is going to cripple their business. I have not heard anything of it being a successful appeal though, so I assume that VAT will still be imposed from April 1st.

Thanks all

So the 'video' part is really a red herring. Class 10 (as minimum) and write speed is the key.

Looking into all links now to compare.

I have some 'SanDisk Secure Digital High Capacity Card Extreme Video HD 8GB' although they are only 30MB/s :cautious:, got them from Amazon (proper) for around £12 each. 8GB holds over 500 RAW files so I don't feel the need to use 16GB cards in the camera.

I rarely shoot in CH or video, so the speed only affects with the transfer to the computer, which I'm not massively bothered about.

If you want speed then I wouldnt look much further than these

Guys, how do you find using a SDHC -> CompactFlash adaptor? Are you limiting the speed of transfer when using adaptors?

I just ask as SDHC cards are markedly more expensive than CF...

Guys, how do you find using a SDHC -> CompactFlash adaptor? Are you limiting the speed of transfer when using adaptors?

That depends a lot on the actual SD/CF adaptor - as with all these things some combinations of SD, adaptor and camera/card reader work a lot better than others (and some combinations just don't work at all)

Because, unless you're careful, the goods aren't always supplied by Amazon and some of their 'alternative' suppliers aren't always as trustworthy. Check out the reviews on there and you'll find cards of different speeds being sent from the same advert. I've also seen instances of different remote controls for the 600D being sent from the same advert.

On the other hand, I've seen no criticisms of 7DayShop.

On the other hand, I've seen no criticisms of 7DayShop.

Might want to check the 'Do you have a duracell CF card?' thread then, some people have gotten fake CF cards via 7dayshop.

I think at this point fake memory cards are such a huge problem that at best all you can do really is to minimise the risk. I know Americans that have gotten fakes from their huge 'should be trustable' retailers such as newegg, too.

Back