SE1 with an 85L

Name
Rob Telford
Edit My Images
No
Ah, but not an EF 85L, but a Canon FD 85mm f/1.2 L dating from 1991 that arrived on my desk at work yesterday morning. A genuinely mint example, courtesy of Ffordes.

So, I had pop out at lunch time to put it through its paces on my Sony A7, didn't I? :)

1000 Umbrellas
by cybertect, on Flickr

Battle Bridge Lane
by cybertect, on Flickr

Stop the pigeon
by cybertect, on Flickr

Feet
by cybertect, on Flickr

Delivery
by cybertect, on Flickr

Waterfall [Brenizer Method]
by cybertect, on Flickr

The last one is a 31-frame stitched panorama, inspired by rampanthamster's thread a few days ago.

Last edited:
Well it looks like the lens has a great future with you (y) photographically I don't thing there is really any improvement suggestions I can make I'll be honest and saying some of the subject matter is not really my thing but none the less you've captured it well :clap:

That said really loving the the last one just because it looks cracking and the pigeon because it almost makes you feel the the pigeon is watching the person in the background

Matt

Well it looks like the lens has a great future with you (y) photographically I don't thing there is really any improvement suggestions I can make I'll be honest and saying some of the subject matter is not really my thing but none the less you've captured it well :clap:

Thanks Matt. Sorry, I'd missed your reply before.

Aspherical?

Ta.

Yes, the second element of the FD 85L is aspherical. It was an updated version of the original FD 85mm f/1.2 SSC Asherical.

I continue to enjoy it very much - these are all hand held :cool:

Behind the Curve
by cybertect, on Flickr

2014: A St Thomas Street Odyssey
by cybertect, on Flickr

7 More London
by cybertect, on Flickr

Tree
by cybertect, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hmm!

what a lovely piece of glass; definitely a unique look about it.

85FD Aspherical / FDL -v- 85 F1.2 L is running through my head.

Looking to buy one of these, or both if the FD had not commanded (quiet rightly) almost same price as new L!

Edit: it seems one can get hold of FD 1.2 for around 700 from random overseas ebayers.

Last edited:
Keep your eyes peeled at UK dealers.

I got mine from Ffordes for rather much less than that in "Mint minus" condition (there's a little wear on the outside of the box, but the lens itself is pristine).

Cameraworld have also had a couple through in the last few months (an 'L' and an ASPH). IIRC they were selling them for around £500.

I actually tried the 'L' out in their London store, but I didn't quite have the spare cash at the time. A week or so later and it was gone.

Last edited:
some cracking images as usual Rob, certainly doing justice to the lens... I have to say the FD 85mm f1.2 L used to be my favourite lens back when I used to spend a fair bit of time shooting bands in dimly lit pubs and so forth. Once I wasn't doing the gigs anymore, it was too much money to have tied up in something I didn't get enough use out of, so it had to go.... and I'm afraid that even at the current prices, it's not something I'm likely to be re-buying for the A1's kitbag. But they are lovely, aren't they ;)

Last edited:
Back