Seagull in Flight

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Since getting my camera I have been trying to capture birds in flight and have been struggling with lots of blurred shots... pictures of half a bird etc lol

so the only way to get a good picture is be persistant...

This is the best I have so far, its still not as sharp as people manage on other threads but I will get there.

I think I have another trick to try reading through other peoples threads and that is to set it to auto ISO and get the shutter speed right up...

DSC_0379.jpg

And while I was out a Magpie got close too...
Magpie.jpg

Since getting my camera I have been trying to capture birds in flight and have been struggling with lots of blurred shots... pictures of half a bird etc lol

so the only way to get a good picture is be persistant...

This is the best I have so far, its still not as sharp as people manage on other threads but I will get there.

I think I have another trick to try reading through other peoples threads and that is to set it to auto ISO and get the shutter speed right up...

Join the club Brian, join the club :), I think most bird shooters, even the most experienced , struggle with this.

And yes, I often use auto ISO, keeping the shutter speeds at 1/1000 sec or faster.

Like the magpie BTW

agreed a high iso, whilst not always the best way is what I use to keep up the shutter speeds with a long lens, but it will encourage noise

Birds in flight is something I have yet to master :bang:

I also love the Maggpie shot :clap:

Les (y)

Hi Brian, I am no expert on BIF shots so someone might come along and advise better for you. The exposure looks good on this one, however looking at the exif I see you shot this at 105mm. Not sure what the subject distance was but if it was not fairly close to you then that is your first problem imo. Secondly you were using an aperture of F8, with the good light you had there I would have been tempted to have used something around 5.6 to 6.3. You could have also wacked the ISO up a fair bit as well to give yourself a much faster shutter speed as this will improve your chances of getting a much sharper image.

Back