Second hand camera. How many clicks?

As you are already looking to upgrade a very new camera, I suspect that you will want to upgrade the 40D before you put a fraction of the rated shutter life on a 40D?

People ask this question but I don't think I have ever read about a documented case of a camera failing due to too many shots?

Out of interest would will you do with this figure when you get it? And what would be too many actuations for you?

IMHO actuations tells you nothing about predicted remaining lifespan.

There are so many variables it's almost impossible to give a straight answer to that.
However... If it's a pro body like a 1D series then 100,000 would be nothing (I think they're rated to 300,000 by Canon in their pro brochure) But on your 400D the same amount would probably be looked on as quite a lot. But equally either could fail at 5000 clicks, it's unlikely, but it could happen. Shutters can always be replaced of course, but sometimes it would cost more than the value of the body itself.

So I can see why you're asking, but I'd be tempted to look at the general condition of the body as a better guide than just the shutter actualtions.

As you are already looking to upgrade a very new camera, I suspect that you will want to upgrade the 40D before you put a fraction of the rated shutter life on a 40D?

People ask this question but I don't think I have ever read about a documented case of a camera failing due to too many shots?

Out of interest would will you do with this figure when you get it? And what would be too many actuations for you?

IMHO actuations tells you nothing about predicted remaining lifespan.

Well I just wanted a guide as I read so many posts where people ask this question but never really thought much about until now. So just wanted a guide as to what to look for as being an excessive amount.

john

There are so many variables it's almost impossible to give a straight answer to that.
However... If it's a pro body like a 1D series then 100,000 would be nothing (I think they're rated to 300,000 by Canon in their pro brochure) But on your 400D the same amount would probably be looked on as quite a lot. But equally either could fail at 5000 clicks, it's unlikely, but it could happen. Shutters can always be replaced of course, but sometimes it would cost more than the value of the body itself.

So I can see why you're asking, but I'd be tempted to look at the general condition of the body as a better guide than just the shutter actualtions.

Thanks bill and the general condition is something I pay particular attention to.

Regards,

john

Well I just wanted a guide as I read so many posts where people ask this question but never really thought much about until now. So just wanted a guide as to what to look for as been an excessive amount.

john

Yes, I know people ask it a lot. But I think folks do it as a knee-jerk and don't think about "why" they are asking, or what they will do with this number.

Given that electronics nowadays "fail fast, fail early" if they are going to, IMHO a camera that has done 50,000 already shows that its reliable and working well, and not as others might think about to keel over :)

I saw someone turning down a mint and immaculate Nikon D200 with 3,000 shots over on AVF as that was "too many" for him which left me gobsmacked! I just don't think its worth worrying about actuations.

I saw someone turning down a mint and immaculate Nikon D200 with 3,000 shots over on AVF as that was "too many" for him which left me gobsmacked! I just don't think its worth worrying about actuations.

That's as silly as Jessops referring to a faulty Canon with 6000 clicks (I think it was) as being excessive. It was last week and needed a new shutter assembly but was barely out of the warranty period. As you say, they can fail at any figure and if they work soundly and have 10K or 40K clicks who is to say they are going to fail shortly. They are rated at 150/300K or whatever.

Yes, I know people ask it a lot. But I think folks do it as a knee-jerk and don't think about "why" they are asking, or what they will do with this number.

Given that electronics nowadays "fail fast, fail early" if they are going to, IMHO a camera that has done 50,000 already shows that its reliable and working well, and not as others might think about to keel over :)

Yep and I've seen some here that look in prestine condition and my thoughts would be to go for these rather than one that looks like its been round the clock so to speak.

john

:eek::eek::eek:..............:LOL:

It's like people who ask to see under the bonnet of a car when they're buying it, without a clue as to what they're actually meant to be looking for. Modern cameras are so full of electronics they can be dead straight out the box.

Back