Beginner Second Hand Kit

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
A guy at work is selling a Canon 450D with a 18-55mm lens for £100 this seems like a good deal to me based on what I can see on ebay just wondering what I should be looking for to make sure he's not ripping me off.

That is a decent deal and I have used this camera and it is fine and so is the lens.

Just make sure that the lens focuses smoothly and set it to shoot JPEGs then try it on continuous shooting and see how many you can take.

Should be able to take at lest 15 JPEGs before it slows down - that shows that the battery is good and make sure there are no funny noises while it does so.

The take a shot of a clear sky on about f22 and see if there are any small spots on the picture in the rear screen - may indicate the sensor needs cleaning one or two can usually be cloned out in PP but lots can be a real pain and mean the sensor needs cleaning.

Hope it goes well for you.

Took about 30 shots before slowing down. Will do the sky thing later, he is letting me borrow it for a couple of days before I make a decision which is extremely nice of him.

A guy at work is selling a Canon 450D with a 18-55mm lens for £100 this seems like a good deal to me based on what I can see on ebay just wondering what I should be looking for to make sure he's not ripping me off.
Very good little camera for beginners and for £100 that's quite a bargain.
By no means an advanced DSLR but certainly a good performer. Some of the functions are buried in menus rather than having dedicated buttons. As long as the sensor isn't scratched (dust can be cleaned off easily) and the battery is good (sounds like its ok) it should serve you well.
From memory these are 12 megapixels so should provide a decent image with plenty of detail.
Also check the lens functions correctly and has no major damage to the glass (dust inside shouldn't cause any issues).

I give it less than 12 months before the OP is in the equipment section asking about the relative merits of a 5Diii and something equally as expensive :)

Once you get it then use it - get to know what it can do - and remember if it doesn't get you the photos you want it's probably not the camera at fault - it's you.

It takes quite a time to learn how to take good photos so don't start chopping and changing cameras hoping to magically produce the photos that you see by the best photographers either on here or elsewhere.

And take the time to learn about editing - there are plenty of free editing programs around which will enable you to produce reasonable results without spending a fortune.

so good luck with your new purchase if you go ahead.

And don't forget you'll always get great help and advice on here so just ask.

My personal experience is that I bought a 450D when I was starting out 6 months ago for £30 as the mirror spring had sprung out (soon popped back in with some thread ) - not bad but you very soon get to realise its limitations.

So after 3 months I got a NEX 5N mirrorless for £90 - it is not as easy to use as the Canon but the quality of the sensor is really good so that photos look reasonably respectable compared to the L lens stuff. And you get a lightweight camera that slips into your coat pocket.

I don't use the 450D anymore

Last edited:
I give it less than 12 months before the OP is in the equipment section asking about the relative merits of a 5Diii and something equally as expensive :)

Haha I went straight from 350D to 5D3 when I got back into photography a couple of years ago after less than 12 months :) The 350 got repurposed for infra red so it still gets lots of use.

So I have been allowed to borrow the camera over the weekend. Guy seems pretty keen on selling it to me lol.

Am going to Old Wardour Castle on Sunday so will give it a proper go then see how I get on with it. Am pretty set on getting it so is just a chance to have a proper play.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Back