Sedgie in habitat

Edit My Images
Yes
Sedge Warbler in amongst his natural surroundings

253_011.jpg

Very nice :) The light looks like it was overcast but sharp, bright and detailed on the bird. Looks like Nora Batty with the 'stockings' round ist ankles :LOL:

Very nice :) The light looks like it was overcast but sharp, bright and detailed on the bird. Looks like Nora Batty with the 'stockings' round ist ankles :LOL:

I may sound stupid here but how exactly do you tell whether it was overcast or cloudy or any other weather type?

I would not be able to know that it was overcast just by looking at that picture. :bang:

ziggy©;3632279 said:
I may sound stupid here but how exactly do you tell whether it was overcast or cloudy or any other weather type?

I would not be able to know that it was overcast just by looking at that picture. :bang:

Just the way it looks perhaps based on years of seeing all sorts of images and exposures???

However, and I would welcome the OP chiming in ~ the contrast is flat and though I have not downloaded it and looked at the histogram I am thinking it will show a broad spread but be flattish compared to one taken in (much) brighter conditions??? The bird seems to be near the top of the reeds (just interpreting the branching stems which I think occur nearer the tops) so would not be in the shadow of the surrounding reeds so most light is toplight and with lack of highlight/hotspots i.e. no sun suggests again a bright overcast???

Lastly the catchlight in the eye is limited to a slight cresent shape, maybe reflecting the high cloudbase rather if there was sun I would expect to see a sharp catchlight???

PS Having said all that it could be down to the PP'ing of the OP???

Last edited:
Just the way it looks perhaps based on years of seeing all sorts of images and exposures???

However, and I would welcome the OP chiming in ~ the contrast is flat and though I have not downloaded it and looked at the histogram I am thinking it will show a broad spread but be flattish compared to one taken in (much) brighter conditions??? The bird seems to be near the top of the reeds (just interpreting the branching stems which I think occur nearer the tops) so would not be in the shadow of the surrounding reeds so most light is toplight and with lack of highlight/hotspots i.e. no sun suggests again a bright overcast???

Lastly the catchlight in the eye is limited to a slight cresent shape, maybe reflecting the high cloudbase rather if there was sun I would expect to see a sharp catchlight???

PS Having said all that it could be down to the PP'ing of the OP???

Well worked out (y)

Rest assured it would never be down to pp'ing with me :D

It was taken this morning, cloudy and spot metered on the bird, an advantage with a front on Sedgie as in bright sun the chest can have a tendency to blow the highlights.

It is actually perched on a dead branch in a fairly open position, not in a thick reed bed. I had observed it singing from the position, liked the setting, so I slowly moved into position and waited for it to re-appear.

Thanks for the comments, and 10/10 to Box Brownie for his observational skills.

Well worked out (y)

Rest assured it would never be down to pp'ing with me :D

It was taken this morning, cloudy and spot metered on the bird, an advantage with a front on Sedgie as in bright sun the chest can have a tendency to blow the highlights.

It is actually perched on a dead branch in a fairly open position, not in a thick reed bed. I had observed it singing from the position, liked the setting, so I slowly moved into position and waited for it to re-appear.

Thanks for the comments, and 10/10 to Box Brownie for his observational skills.

;) (y) is this typical of the species that it will have a favourite perch??? Or is it just during the breeding season when territory becomes more much more crucial???

Oh what lens and approx how far from the perch were you?

;) (y) is this typical of the species that it will have a favourite perch??? Or is it just during the breeding season when territory becomes more much more crucial???

Oh what lens and approx how far from the perch were you?

Sedge Warblers and Whitethroat will have a favoured prominent perch from which they sing to attract a mate, more so when it is nice and sunny, they tend to stay hunkered down when it is a bit chilly.

500mm f4 + 1.4TC on a D700 1/1000 f7.1 ISO 1250 ... approx 8m

I posted another Sedge Warbler on here LINK the other day, I was even closer than this one.

That is a fair old chunk of glass and I note the ISO, the D700 does seem to handle high ISO noise very well ~ the image is nice and clean so is that SOOC i.e. just resized for the web or (and granted as you say no creative PP'ing) did you do anything at all to the levels and or sharpening???

PS That linky to the other thread ~ a stunner of an image!

Last edited:
That is a fair old chunk of glass and I note the ISO, the D700 does seem to handle high ISO noise very well ~ the image is nice and clean so is that SOOC i.e. just resized for the web or (and granted as you say no creative PP'ing) did you do anything at all to the levels and or sharpening???

PS That linky to the other thread ~ a stunner of an image!

Thanks light was good, and I got close, which helps

The image is as taken, with basic crop, re-size and sharpen (to restore sharpness lost in resizing) - see post 14 on this thread HERE save me some typing

The D700 will do 6400 no problem LINK

Thanks light was good, and I got close, which helps

The image is as taken, with basic crop, re-size and sharpen (to restore sharpness lost in resizing) - see post 14 on this thread HERE save me some typing

The D700 will do 6400 no problem LINK

Thanks for the linky to TP thread ref PP'ing, I will have a read of that ~ FWIW anything I do is on the KISS method - typically capture sharpening/levels/noise reduction if needed>>>>>resize for the web and output sharpening to taste. Maybe a little dodge & burn if really needed??? But cloning and other more creative PP'ing extemely rarely done and I mean rarely:thinking:

As for the ISO 6400 peformance that is quite some sensor on the D700!!!

Back