Selective colouring?

Name
Alistair
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks sorry if this has been asked before, I'm a newby to all this digital photography and also with using photoshop. I have seen a vast amount of pictures where they have done "selective colouring" and would like to learn how to do this myslf as I have some photos I would like to see how they would look after this has been done.

I dont have much experience with photoshop so any advice or tips on how to do this would very much appreciated, thank you on advance.

Alistair (zimbo7) :)

there's a simple video tutorial for colour popping here (if that's wheat you meant by selective colouring!)

are you using cs3 or cs4? if so its pretty simple

open your pic in photoshop, at the bottom of the layers palette in the middle click the adjustments layer icon, and choose black and white.
your pic will turn black and white
select the brush tool, and black as your foreground colour.
by default, you should be able to start painting the areas in the pic you want to turn back to colour, because the mask should be selected (the white rectangle in the layers palette). just paint where you want colour, you may need to use a selection to help paint the right areas.

Thank you both so much for that help, I have just tried them out and they are working perfectly. So thank you so much (y)

munchycarrot, I am using PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 7.0 still a LOT to learn in there as well.

I do it a similar way, i convert it to mono by copying and pasting one of the
channels (whichever channel i think looks the best). Then i usually use the
Polygonal Lasso Tool to go around the part i want to keep colour and just
delete that bit....

3475837047_166124dbf4.jpg

glad you got there.

just remember to use selective colouring very selectively.
It can work really well, like Rob above (great shot and good use), but it can be done to death too!

Cheers, yeah you have to be very restrained with it. It's like HDR, when they
start with that, everything has to be HDR and it just doesnt suit every subject.

So use it but use it wisely young padewan .... :LOL:

:LOL: thanks guys, at least this is one thing I can cross of my list of things to learn. Now all I need to do is learn how to take amazingly sharp pics (if thats possible...) and learn how to make colours pop so to speak along with a LOT of things!!!

Think I might have to invest in D90 guide for dummies and a Photoshop Elements 7 guide as well :thinking:

:LOL: well I've only had mine for a couple of months and even though I have no idea how to use it to it's full potential yet, I LOVE IT.... Just bought myself a Circular Polariser today as well, seems to work ok as well lol

Back