Self Portrait Challenge

Name
Christian Elizabeth
Edit My Images
Yes
So I am doing monthly photography challenge and this month is self portrait.... I did a few with out me holding the camera but I was just so much more comfortable holding it. so I would love some critique on this :)

12023240413_41a7b078d3_c.jpg

I can't work out if you are lying down and rotated the image to look like you are stood up or have actually took it standing. Which makes me keep looking at it which is good I guess. Nice and sharp eye, and the addition of the camera tells me something about you which would be lacking without. Good all round!

Shame that the words on the camera are backwards,

FLIP CANVAS HORIZONTAL and the Nikon looks better (presuming your not embarresed about it being a Nikon :) )

I actually like the fact it's a mirror image so don't mind the words on the camera being the 'wrong way'. However can you truly class a reflection of yourself as a self-portrait?:)
...That's one for the existentialists I guess! :)

I am standing up in this picture:) I stood partially behind something because it kind of represents my personality kind of shy and my photography style that I prefer to be behind the scene and capture the candid moments.... I am going to give it another try not using a reflection so I will share my results. thanks for the replies!

I like it, and the camera really works for me. I also like the fact you are peeping out from behind something, it just makes for a far more interesting image. Love the B&W and the eye is very captivating.

gave it another shot today.... any thoughts on this? and which do you like more of the 2

12064178866_93ea34f1f4_c.jpg

Here my edit on the 1st image - hope you don't mind? At least you can see it's a Nikon now :p Simply flip the image and rotated in CS 5

Les ;)

Ps I love No 2

Last edited by a moderator:
gave it another shot today.... any thoughts on this? and which do you like more of the 2

12064178866_93ea34f1f4_c.jpg

I'm only on my phone so can't view it in detail but i like it at least as much as the first image. Can't decide if the lighting on your face is just a little flat but I like the lighting on your hair although this has resulted in your left shoulder getting a bit lost into the background. Again though your eyes draw me in and it has a lovely day dreamy feel to it, the pose suits that aspect of it.

While I like the dreamy look of No.2 I still keep being drawn to No.1 and that eye peeking out behind the camera - love it.

P.S. I'm not gonna say it but I am gonna think it - with those looks you have a distinct advantage when it comes to the "selfie"! - lol

While I like the dreamy look of No.2 I still keep being drawn to No.1 and that eye peeking out behind the camera - love it.

P.S. I'm not gonna say it but I am gonna think it - with those looks you have a distinct advantage when it comes to the "selfie"! - lol

Pop a selfie of me on here everyone would just destroy their monitors lol. I hate having photographs taken of myself, so I never do selfies xD.

Lovely selfies there though! I like the one with the dreamy effect.

Thanks for the replies everyone and I do like the edit Lez325 Of course I want everyone to see I use a NIkon:)

Well, I like both, possibly the 1st one more. One thing I can't figure out is how you got them right :banghead:

In the first, I thought you just took the shot using the actual camera in the image, but then I got to thinking, "how did the flash fire?". I don't see any gadgets on the body that would fire the flash and the popup isn't up... Then, after attempting a selfie myself tonight, I'm seriously not understanding how you got the 2nd one right. From what I can see, you have nailed the focus on the eyes and I can't see any remote trigger, which means you used the timer - and that just boggles my mind as I tried it and failed miserably...

Well, I like both, possibly the 1st one more. One thing I can't figure out is how you got them right :banghead:

In the first, I thought you just took the shot using the actual camera in the image, but then I got to thinking, "how did the flash fire?". I don't see any gadgets on the body that would fire the flash and the popup isn't up... Then, after attempting a selfie myself tonight, I'm seriously not understanding how you got the 2nd one right. From what I can see, you have nailed the focus on the eyes and I can't see any remote trigger, which means you used the timer - and that just boggles my mind as I tried it and failed miserably...

the first image is a reflection in my bathroom mirror and just the bathroom light (ISO was 2000) the second I focused manually on the back of the chair then just made sure I was at the same distance it took a few tries... and that is just the natural light from my kitchen window.

Thanks for explaining that. Natural light makes sense! Well done, they are great images.

I'll have to try harder :(

Back