Beginner Selfie with new gear!

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Okay guys I've had all my gear arrive. I've been away from photography for a while and decided to get back into it with a Sony camera.

I plan to take a range of images within different genres so thought i'd start with a selfie!

Selfie-1 by Steven Graham, on Flickr

Comments please, criticism will be gladly accepted if you think I can improve in future images.

Steven.

Hi Steven,

I am also learning to use my flash so do take this with a pinch of salt.

I do like the lighting, but the shadow is pulling my eye to it.

May be try the same shot but stand away from the wall.

Thanks

Kev

Hi Steven, well done for posting up for critique. I too am (fairly) new to this photography and critique lark, so I hope you don't mind me chipping in with my own views (feel free to ignore me for not necessarily knowing what I'm talking about ;) )

My biggest bugbear if I'm being honest is the watermark (and what it seems to imply), but that's easily fixed if you were so minded.

In my view the gear matters far less than what you are doing with it - what do you think about how you set up your lighting and what do you think about your image, the areas of shadow and highlights etc.? It would be more interesting to know why you'd chosen the lighting setup you were using, for example, instead of what camera you were using ;)

First off - if this is one of your first forays back into photography (not knowing what standard you were before) then well done - it's 10x better than my early efforts (and many of my current ones). Keep at it...

In terms of critique, for me, the highlight on your forehead is too harsh (which can also be seen by the small size of the catchlights in your eyes) and it draws attention. This has a knock-on effect in creating more pronounced shadow areas under the eyes etc - because of where the light is coming from. However, without knowing what sort of lighting you were wanting to replicate - or the style of image you wanted to create, it's hard to give further views on that. Likewise, the relative lack of shadow detail on the far (right) side of your body might be intentional or not - personally I'd prefer a touch more balance to the lighting across the body (unless you wanted to emphasise the logo on the shirt perhaps). You can change a lot of this by using a bigger light source and bringing it closer to the subject - if that's what you want to achieve, anyway...

Probably best if you tell us what you think and how you'd potentially change this shot?

For what it's worth, I do like the fall-off of light you have on the background - it really works for me to draw me back to the subject.

I noticed the highlight on the head, this is from the room lighting and wasn't supposed to be in the image which is a shame.

Lighting was an 80x80 softbox camera right angled down at ceiling height. I wanted a big falloff and I really like the shadows on the background as I think it adds to the image but I could have moved off the wall to remove the shadows as previously suggested but wanted something on the background rather than it being completely uniform.

I may try the box lower to try and remove the shadows under the eyes. I find it quite annoying taking selfies and if I were taking the images of someone else I'd have probably have taken more and experimented with more lighting setups.

My biggest bugbear if I'm being honest is the watermark (and what it seems to imply).
Do you mind me asking what is being implied? I agree with the hot spot on the forehead, that can easily be fixed in PP. Overall nice image mate, I'll be watching out for more as I to am relatively new and it'll be good to read the feedback.

I noticed the highlight on the head, this is from the room lighting and wasn't supposed to be in the image which is a shame.

Lighting was an 80x80 softbox camera right angled down at ceiling height. I wanted a big falloff and I really like the shadows on the background as I think it adds to the image but I could have moved off the wall to remove the shadows as previously suggested but wanted something on the background rather than it being completely uniform.

I may try the box lower to try and remove the shadows under the eyes. I find it quite annoying taking selfies and if I were taking the images of someone else I'd have probably have taken more and experimented with more lighting setups.

That's helpful then - I've found it's all about analysing what you've done and what effect it has... tracing it back and making changes one at a time to see what happens. It can be tempting to change lots of things all at once (or - worse - add more lights) but that makes it very hard to work out what change had what effect!

In terms of the height of the softbox, by all means lower it down - but really to see the effect, rather than that being a "better" location. Generally, we all start off shooting with light sources too far away and too low down, so I'd worry less about having it too high and get it closer (ok, if it's pointing down onto your head from above then it's probably too high and too close!)... if you're struggling to get the image without the softbox being in frame it's probably almost in the right place :)

How are you lighting your softbox - flash, mains head or continuous lighting? One of these options is likely to be fine, one is potentially ideal and one is potentially a cause of problems. (And they're in that order, but since you have your kit, it's too late to worry about that...) I also ask because I'd expect a flash to more or less drown out your indoor room lighting, whereas it seems to have a fairly significant effect - making me wonder if your flash is set quite low?

I find selfies quite helpful in some ways - I'm far less attractive than my kids and my skin is definitely harder to light successfully, so it's a good challenge. Selfies also force you to s l o w r i g h t d o w n... because it's a pain to shoot each shot. So I find I tend to think more about the setup - is my aperture the same (I have a habit of knocking it), have I moved focus or the position of the tripod, did I make that change to the lighting, etc., all before pressing the timer.

Just to reiterate - I really like the background lighting you've achieved so if you can keep that, it certainly works for me.

As a final point, is it worth doing all of this when we can correct things in post? Well, sometimes we need to resort to photoshop - but it's far better to try to get things right in camera. You'll learn more about lighting (and photography in general) and once you get the hang of it, it's far quicker to get it right in camera once for 20 different shots with similar lighting than have to replicate the same "correction" in photoshop 20 times :)

Do you mind me asking what is being implied? I agree with the hot spot on the forehead, that can easily be fixed in PP. Overall nice image mate, I'll be watching out for more as I to am relatively new and it'll be good to read the feedback.

I'd rather not derail Steven's thread but let's just say I personally find them distracting at best and... well, a bit unnecessary unless you are genuinely a professional photographer looking to protect your images. But then I might just be odd.

Nobody has mentioned this yet, but both of your shots are VERY underexposed. Look at the histogram, it's only just getting halfway across. How do they look on your screen (do you have your brightness turned right up?). Did you adjust the exposure in PP? If not, your light source is either on too low a power setting or it's too far away (or a mix of both). I'd say too far away judging from the catchlights. Other than this, and the highlight that you've already sorted, this is a very decent image - though I'm not a fan of the shadow and you could do with a little room above the top of your head.

The pic is not at all bad and I quite get where you're coming from with shadows on the background.

I'd say the softbox is a little too low already. It's lighting the underside of the nose, eyesockets and chin and the umbra of the nose shadow is falling upwards so the result is slightly tending towards monster lighting.

If you got the light higher and used a reflector below then I think you'd be happier with the results. Reflectors do a really good job of lifting eye shadows, too. You could experiment with having the reflector on the same side as the light, directly between you and the camera and on the opposite side from the light. Plus it's much easier to avoid unintentional cross lighting and double shadows with a reflector than it is with a second light.

I've had a lightmeter delivered today and shot this for the fun of it. SOOC no PP at all. This was transferred from wifi on the camera to my iphone and then uploaded directly to flickr.

Please ignore the obvious focus issue. Hard to stand in the right place with a cat that wants to chase after the flashing timer light on the camera!!

Selfie with Lily! SOOC no PP
by Steven Graham, on Flickr

Much better exposure, lovely cat who seems to have been in the right place too (to be in focus).

I've had a lightmeter delivered today

…well, that help the exposure for sure, Steven!
As for the focus issue, the whiskers are pretty sharp. ;-)

An aperture of ƒ8 should resolve the DoF issue but the
sharpness you will have to prefocus on manual focus.

As for the focus issue, the whiskers are pretty sharp. ;-)
An aperture of ƒ8 should resolve the DoF issue but the sharpness you will have to prefocus on manual focus.
This was shot at f8 but as I said I picked up the cat and moved. her nose and whiskers are close to perfect focus so I think I stood a little too far back.

Thanks for the comments, I have also changed my camera to show the histogram so I'm also more aware without the light meter whether or not I've exposed correctly.

Forgot to say earlier, if your camera has wi-fi does it also allow you to connect using your iPhone. I use the Canon Camera Connect app which gives you LiveView on your phone screen, including focus control.

Forgot to say earlier, if your camera has wi-fi does it also allow you to connect using your iPhone. I use the Canon Camera Connect app which gives you LiveView on your phone screen, including focus control.

It does but the file output is JPEG only and I wanted RAW. Plus I tend to have a funny look or pose while using my phone to take the image :)

It does but the file output is JPEG only and I wanted RAW. Plus I tend to have a funny look or pose while using my phone to take the image :)

That's odd that you only get JPG. I know what you mean about the funny look, but I always look odd in photos, and more so in selfies. A worthwhile exercise though, especially if you have nobody else available at the time, though I do feel a complete prat when doing them.

Back