Semi-Professional Tog: First time on Internet forum

Why is everyone convinced it's a wind up? I haven't been online today and there's several pages I haven't read. What has been said?

Read the several pages you haven't read ;)

Tony mate, what are your 2009 prices ?? will recomend you

Last edited:
I really can't work out if you are being serious or not? :shrug:

:p Take a seat ... I was being (mostly) serious :eek:!

I haven't lived in England for 7 years now and I really don't get a lot of the in-jokes, as well as a lot of the universal "e-slang" that goes around (it's all spelt differently in German ;)).

So yeah, I didn't know what that anacronim was for and the first explanation didn't sound very likely to me :shrug:. So, my post was genuine, but I did go on to extrapolate in a mildly humourous way, which would have confused the issue I suppose :|.

Have I helped to shed some light, or have I just confused things further :thinking:? Anyway, there's your honest answer - feel free to forget about it now :D.

I think it originally came from the first American Pie movie.
If you haven't seen that, or any of the others they're worth a look.

I don't think it's a windup at all. It can't be. Not with such professional calibre oozing out.

I don't think anyone would attempt to pull such a silly attempt to wind everyone up.
Surely no one is stupid enough to attempt a tagteam like this, not without leaving a big staypuf-footprint sized trail of evidence in their wake anyway. :)

Welcome benp1!

It's been a hillarious thread!!!

Read the several pages you haven't read ;)
I really can't be bothered. When I first signed up and asked some questions which appeared silly to anyone who knew about photography, I got slated at any given opportunity and got called a wind-up merchant, troll (and so on) by a lot of people, including some of the moderators. Looking back at those questions, I can see why people must have thought they were a bit stupid, but how does anyone learn? I have no-one I know that's into photography, so all these little questions cannot be answered in mid-conversation. I dare say a lot of you have learnt a lot that way, and I was merely using the forum for my little questions. Surely that's what it's for?

I too can see where everyone is coming from, I admit it may well be a wind up but what if it isn't? There's so many people on here that just jump onto the bandwagon at any given opportunity. If you're so convinced it's a wind up, why do you bother posting? Surely if someone was posting this in a troll attempt this is what they'd want you to do, so why play into their hands? If you think it's a wind-up, fair enough -- move along to another thread. If you don't, instead of making the guy want to go and cut his wrists why don't you try and be nice and put your opinion over to him in a nice way?

Regardless, I think he's been scared off now.

benp1 is a similar username to tonyr6 isn't it.
Just pointing it out.

Oi! :bat: That's me you're talking about

Actually it does sound rather similar now you've mentioned it. I actually read it as Tony R6, as in his name is Tony and he rides a Yamaha R6!

But we're not the same, I have a dslr and my skills are still yearning to be amateur level!

I really can't be bothered. When I first signed up and asked some questions which appeared silly to anyone who knew about photography, I got slated at any given opportunity and got called a wind-up merchant, troll (and so on) by a lot of people, including some of the moderators. Looking back at those questions, I can see why people must have thought they were a bit stupid, but how does anyone learn? I have no-one I know that's into photography, so all these little questions cannot be answered in mid-conversation. I dare say a lot of you have learnt a lot that way, and I was merely using the forum for my little questions. Surely that's what it's for?

I too can see where everyone is coming from, I admit it may well be a wind up but what if it isn't? There's so many people on here that just jump onto the bandwagon at any given opportunity. If you're so convinced it's a wind up, why do you bother posting? Surely if someone was posting this in a troll attempt this is what they'd want you to do, so why play into their hands? If you think it's a wind-up, fair enough -- move along to another thread. If you don't, instead of making the guy want to go and cut his wrists why don't you try and be nice and put your opinion over to him in a nice way?

You did not get slated for asking stupid questions, I'll refer you to this thread which has been through this before.

As for the rest of it this thread is a wind up, we've known since early on. We've dropped hints and they've either not been commented on or just not picked up. Do you REALLY think we would let a thread with as much finger poking in it as this one remain for more than two minutes if we thought it was serious?

Actually it does sound rather similar now you've mentioned it. I actually read it as Tony R6, as in his name is Tony and he rides a Yamaha R6!

But we're not the same, I have a dslr and my skills are still yearning to be amateur level!

I read it as he drives an R6 too,

Don't know any bikes which are P1's :)

You did not get slated for asking stupid questions, I'll refer you to this thread which has been through this before.

As for the rest of it this thread is a wind up, we've known since early on. We've dropped hints and they've either not been commented on or just not picked up. Do you REALLY think we would let a thread with as much finger poking in it as this one remain for more than two minutes if we thought it was serious?

ohhhh theyve been picked up. Just why spoil the fun? it's been a great release of pressure. Loved it.

....As for the rest of it this thread is a wind up, we've known since early on. We've dropped hints and they've either not been commented on or just not picked up.

Ahem..:)

I seen a weasel.....

or smelled a rat?

Seriously guys do not bite the bait.

I bet someone does, those red herrings are irrestible :D

It says f5.6.. I'm glad someone is finally taking me seriously. I just want some advice thats all. Let me know. Thanks mate.

Don't run with scissors.
Never look a gift horse in the mouth.
Don't put all your herrings in one basket.
Look before you leap.

i dont think its richard and dom, but he is part of another double-act......

Last edited:
When I first signed up and asked some questions which appeared silly to anyone who knew about photography,............... I have no-one I know that's into photography, so all these little questions cannot be answered in mid-conversation. ...............

I dare say that most of us, when we were complete noobs (not so long ago for myself - and I'm not much better now! :LOL:) we'd look through photography mags and books, even the instruction manual, surf the net looking for answers, examples etc, spend hours doing so.

So surely to come onto, what I find is a fairly well respected photography forum, with pictures like that in this thread, with poor composition (just for starters!) professing to be semi-pro and that a £50 compact is just as good as a DSLR, kinda gives it away in the beginning? :shrug:

I got slated at any given opportunity and got called a wind-up merchant, troll (and so on) by a lot of people, including some of the moderators. Looking back at those questions, I can see why people must have thought they were a bit stupid, but how does anyone learn? I have no-one I know that's into photography, so all these little questions cannot be answered in mid-conversation. I dare say a lot of you have learnt a lot that way, and I was merely using the forum for my little questions. Surely that's what it's for?
I think to a degree you created a rod for your own back.

You presented yourself as something of a paradox which confused and made others doubt. It was never about seriously deriding you.

On the one hand you were offering professional photography services and had a kit list that most real pros spend years collecting.
On the other hand, in the threads, you'd bought your camera a few months ago and were asking day1 questions.

There's nothing wrong with that, however questionable, or indeed gleaming info form the forums. But you'd have to expect members to be cautious/sceptical/doubtful ect. Perhaps your other 'run ins' didn't help either.

As for this thread itself. I think the cards were on the table from the start.

I reckon he's in Birmingham for the start of the Britains Got Talent live tour. Obviously Cowell and Co have seen this thread and, although he missed the ITV shows, they deem that the tour can't go ahead with his unique abillities as a photographer ;)

I find it amusing that some folk think that the mod team were all born yesterday. Between us we have modded car forums, computer forums and other photography forums, weve seen, and probably done, most of the tricks out there, and we know how to connect the dots.

this thread is now boring, Im off to look at my facebook page and see if Ive got any spot the tog photos I can share.

no more pics, i am gutted....

This has to be without a doubt the Best Troll Post ever in the history of the Internet.
I cannot believe how many of you actually fell for this.
So in the immortal words of Eminem

WOULD THE REAL TONY R6 PLEASE STAND UP, PLEASE STAND UP.

Oh and if you are genuine Tony R6, for the love of god dont give up your day job m8 i look like David Bloody Bailey compared to you.

must get more popcorn in while I wait for the sequel to come out ...

I read yours as your name is ben and you drive an Impreza P1. Your name is ben right?

Aww I think we've scared him off.

So, how do you all know each other then?

I feel like a total idiot for not getting it :( :p

Well, I have been skipping through this since it started
I am / was pretty sure it was a wind up
But I guess I missed all the clues
unless it was "Laurel & Hardy" responsible for it

Does this thread hold the record for the largest number of posts in the shortest time period??? I'm post 400!!

Back