Semi-Professional Tog: First time on Internet forum

I will post up some more later.. I thought people on here would know what their talking about but clearly alot of you just dont see my talent. All my friends & customers like my work, so really I guess its just a matter of opinion, some will like, some wont. :)

Well i guess if your customers and friends like it that is all that matters, especially if they are paying you, or if you have people lined up for jobs then good on you!

I will post up some more later.. I thought people on here would know what their talking about but clearly alot of you just dont see my talent. All my friends & customers like my work, so really I guess its just a matter of opinion, some will like, some wont. :)

Thanks, looking forward to it (y)

Now I know this is a wind up ;) Tis a good'n though (y)

Well said Tony

Real talent can take a great shot on any old gear - but 'Pro' gear just makes it that bit easier for those less talented

I wish you every success in your new career (y)

DD

Well said Tony

Real talent can take a great shot on any old gear - but 'Pro' gear just makes it that bit easier for those less talented

I wish you every success in your new career (y)

DD

Thats a cracking phrase, well said!

(y)

Agreed
if this is real I can imagine his confidence is pretty low at the moment, I have learnt a great deal from you guys which I thank you for, but sometimes people can be a tad harsh to those wanting to learn and carry on this great hobby / buisness

Would you have considered yourself a semi pro togger when you demonstrated no knowledge of composition, the frame, vantage point, lighting, aperture, detail.... :shrug:

If Tony REALLY wants constructive critisism, I'm happy to give it to him, but to be frank, I'm a bit annoyed he considers himself a semi pro.

I'm little more than a keen amature and I've seen alot of pics by keen amatures ten fold better than mine.

To be fair, being semi-pro only means he has earned some money from his photography, it is not a guide to his proficiency.

Hope he is declaring his additional income though!

Is this the photo forum equiv of the chicken plucker on the x-factor a few years ago?? :cautious:
:D

It will take him a week to get to the end of the thread at this rate.

Tony, Tony, Tony . . . in this current economic climate I really would stick with your job and keep the photography for your spare time. Give your talent a chance to develop before putting all your eggs in one basket. And save up for a decent DSLR.
Because I bet when that memory card fails you won't be able to buy a new one for that camera.

Tony

Can you post again with the images straight from the camera, I would like to look at the image data to see how you set-up to obtain that unique style you have...

What area of the country are you in? Your subjects/clients are equaly unique as well...

Well, it made me laugh.

Someone's researching a new TV program format ...

i might have a spare hot shoe you can buy somewhere, but you best check it will fit your camera. if you tell me the F/ number that is written in front of your lens it will give me an idea as to wether it might fit. (It will say something like F/2.8 or 1:2.8 or something similar).

Were your friends being fully honest, or is it just like "Your Photo's are lovely" to be nice.

No offence, but it looks like you've just don't snapshots, not thought about lighting, placement, background, settings. It just looks like you got a group of people together and snapped that bottom.

:LOL::D:LOL::D:LOL::D:LOL:

this is brilliant.....seemingly a mix of disillusionment, scepticism, sarsacsm and rambunctious (god, I love that word!) behaviour !!

:popcorn:

:LOL::D:LOL::D:LOL::D:LOL:

this is brilliant.....seemingly a mix of disillusionment, scepticism, sarsacsm and rambunctious (god, I love that word!) behaviour !!

:popcorn:

where????

if this is a wind up- thanks! i get half an hours break between shifts at my job... and laughing at this thread has just made my day :D:LOL::p

i might have a spare hot shoe you can buy somewhere, but you best check it will fit your camera. if you tell me the F/ number that is written in front of your lens it will give me an idea as to wether it might fit. (It will say something like F/2.8 or 1:2.8 or something similar).

It says f5.6.. I'm glad someone is finally taking me seriously. I just want some advice thats all. Let me know. Thanks mate.

It says f5.6.. I'm glad someone is finally taking me seriously. I just want some advice thats all. Let me know. Thanks mate.

There are some cruel sods about m8

Good on you for not rising to their bait (y)

Most are probably just jealous of anyone with talent & nerve to go 'Pro' - shame on them :shake:

You say you've been semi-pro for 5 years but have only done 2 weddings, so what's your normal work? Portraits? Architecture? Landscapes? Can you post a few examples of whatever you do most of the time as a photographer

DD

If he does not want it .... Can I buy it?

Been looking for one of them for ages.

Like Dave Tony I can see you have some real talent. Have you ever considered trying for The Turner prize?

stew

My daughter will be getting married. Would you come to scotland for work? She is currently 10, almost 11. She's already picked her wedding dress, just needs a photographer. Oh, and a groom!

Tony, love the pics!

You should definately get the hot shoes by the way! Protects your lens so much!

Maybe you could email me and let me know how you learnt to take such fantastic photographs thepope@thevatican.net

all bitchiness asside, honest constructive critisism soley on your composition and use of the frame.
Your image with some circles etc so I can show you what I mean.
Untitledu.jpg

Red line is where the frame should be, makes the image more intimate and focused on who it is about without unneeded background distractions.
Blue circle, - lady should not have been there - diverts the eye from the main focus of the picture.
Orange circles - these people are standing for a group photograph but not actually looking at the camera, more just standing there waiting to be told what to do.
Green circles, these people are stooping and should have better posture for the picture, not bending down to be at the same height as the other lady.
The other lady has fair posture and is looking at the camera - good for her (though if her arm had been infront o her it would not have made her upper arm look almost 3 times as big as it really is).

Not going to mention light, aperture etc etc, soley composition of what is in the frame.

Last edited:
I just want some advice thats all. Let me know.

Don't run with scissors.
Never look a gift horse in the mouth.
Don't put all your herrings in one basket.
Look before you leap.

It's all good here.

Back