sensor cleaning diy or shop?

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
hi
1st try out my with new 10 stopper i noticed a sqiggle on the image.It resembles a hair i've seen in the viewfinder for the last 6 mths.I had tried a rocket blower ,couldn't see it on the sensor so thought it was in the viewfinder.
I cant see it in any other images just these long exposures 40 sec @f16.
Sorry waffling my question should i clean the sensor myself(seen kits on ebay) or am i better to take it to a shop.If shop which one, stay in Central Scotland.

hi
1st try out my with new 10 stopper i noticed a sqiggle on the image.It resembles a hair i've seen in the viewfinder for the last 6 mths.I had tried a rocket blower ,couldn't see it on the sensor so thought it was in the viewfinder.
I cant see it in any other images just these long exposures 40 sec @f16.

Is it on the lens or the sensor? If you can see it through the viewfinder could it be on the lens rather than on the sensor. Dirt is more likely to be seen a small apertures like f16 than at larger apertures like f4. Does the mark appear on the images if you use a different lens? I'm not sure if dirt on the lens would show up like dirt on the sensor though.

If you are are happy doing the job yourself its not too hard to do if you do a little reading/research. There are plenty of threads on here about sensor cleaning if you do a search.

Is it on the lens or the sensor? If you can see it through the viewfinder could it be on the lens rather than on the sensor. Dirt is more likely to be seen a small apertures like f16 than at larger apertures like f4. Does the mark appear on the images if you use a different lens? I'm not sure if dirt on the lens would show up like dirt on the sensor though.

If you are are happy doing the job yourself its not too hard to do if you do a little reading/research. There are plenty of threads on here about sensor cleaning if you do a search.

no it can be seen with every lens.It looks easy on you tube but all say if not confident take it to someone.Scared in case i damage the sensor.

If its visible through the viewfinder, then its definately not on the sensor, however you say its also on photos, so I'd say you have two seperate issues.

The hair visible through the viewfinder will be on the mirror,focus screen or viewfinder itself.
You can get mirror cleaning swabs, but a rocket blower should shift it.

For the sensor, buy some visible dust swabs and some fluid..
Its not hard, you wont break anything if you are sensible.
Use a fully charged battery and use light pencil pressure on the swab.

I cleaned the sensor on my wifes camera yesterday and can vouch that it is not difficult in any way. If you can open the envelope the kit came in you can clean the sensor, it is that easy.

Yep, another DIY'er here. Its very easy to do, as long as you take your time the first couple of tries.
For what its worth you are cleaning a filter on top of the sensor. If anything did go wrong its only the filter that will need replacing. Not that im saying its nothing to worry about, but it shouldn't cost too much to fix.
Saying that, ive been doing it for years, 350D, 30D, 40D 60D (seems to be the worst) and never had any problems. The only time i did was with a Arctic Butterfly brush that put some sort of grease/oil on to the filter from the cavity in my 30D. Thats when i had to turn to using wet cleaning, but it really is the most effective way.

I have recently started to do it myself and to be honest if you take your time and watch a few guides it is really not that hard to do. Once you have the kit and the confidence to do it you can do it when ever you need to with out worrying about the cost.

Back