Sensor cleaning virgin

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
No
OK. So I've been putting it off, I've done the searches on this forum, but just want a quick few tips on the do's and don'ts.

So, I'm on ebay searching for dslr sensor cleaning. Is this a good start, or am I doomed to fail.

Wet, dry, swabs .Is it really that complex, or are they praying on my want not to make the marks on my sensor worse?

Any tips would be appreciated before I buy the wrong kit!

I watched a few videos on youtube for tutorial, scary first time but quite simple

+1 to this. I've so far used only this and a blower and its cleaned the sensor really well. I've also got the wet clean swabs but I've not had to use them. From the research Ive done its blower, dry clean then wet clean. If the marks at gone at any stage there is no need to go onto the next. I went to SRS Microsystems to buy the items and they ended up recommending items that they use. Best of all these items were cheaper than the items I had asked for so they were not just trying to sell me the most expensive cleaning products.

repeat of my previous post

These are the tools I use to clean a sensor and mirror

m1220013copy.jpg

looking at sensor through a Loupe

m1220004.jpg

So what do I do??? it may give some guidance for those wanting to clean their own.

First of all I make sure I am working somewhere there is no dust,ie kitchen, and then allow plenty of time, its a job that needs a bit of care but nothing the average photographer can't tackle themselves. So often I read that a camera is sent away for cleaning as if there is some magic in doing it. Well there isn't and I just can't see any reason for being without a camera for at least a couple of weeks and paying not only for postage but what a company charges for doing it. With the kit in the photo is all you need and the cost occassionally of ordering more fluid (above will last years) and a couple of wiping pads packs

Sometimes its just dust on the lens that needs attention and cleaning them is dead simple so won't do a breakdown of that.

Ok as I have said earlier having a "loupe" (the black round object) makes the job so much easier and I would dare to suggest it is on bit of kit every photographer should have, I used to do the trick of photographing a white sheet of A4 paper then checking the digital photo of it. Yes it works but does mean having to keep going from taking a photo to checking it as I just mentioned. This method is slow to say the least and I soon gave up on that idea.

So we now have the mirror locked up to check for dust, as you can see I do have a rocket blower but reluctant to use it as it can stir up more dust in the camera body and make matters worse. If intended to use this bit of kit make sure the camera is facing downwards first

So onto using the" loupe" which in reality is just a magnifying glass that has built in lights which is placed over the opening which the lens fits into. With the mirror locked up it is easy to see minute dust particles on the sensor. Dust particles can be from a small hair to light dust to really stuck on bits of dirt and each is generally easily recognisable through a Loupe. Dealing with a small hair or light dust one has a choice of ways to remove it. First is the blower method which I am not keen on and the second method is by using the Artic Butterfly; thats the pen like thing in the picture with a brush on the end. Its different from an ordinary brush as it builds up static electricity because inside there is a small motor which makes it spin. Spinning it for about 5 second builds up enough static to allow the brush to attract any loose dust when gently wiped across the sensor face. After each pass the brush should be removed and again spun to shake off any dust it may have attracted. This method I prefer as it only cleans the sensor and any other loose dust in the camera body remains.

Of course you can buy a pen with a brush one one end and a rubber pad on the other (only costs a few pence) but having tried using it I soon gave up, the brush only moves dust from one side of a sensor to the other and doesn't do anything else. The rubber type other end just leave a mark on the sensor which causes more work to remove it

Ok now for stubborn dirt against just dust and we are starting to talk about wet wipes . Again in the photo you will see special fluids for the job which can easily be obtain on the web. I use two types of wiping instruments, for use of a better word, first is the one that looks like a cotton bud but its not. This I use just to clean a spot not the whole sensor. Just as with using he spade type it only needs a minute drop of fluid on the tip , drenching it will make the sensor harder to dry/clean. The spade type again just a small drop of fluid and with it one wipe in one direction and check the sensor. Here I have read then the wiping blade should be discarded, I tend to ignore that and after checking it for cleanliness use it again with the other side. I just can't see any reason why it can't be used many times providing it is clean and won't scratch the sensor, but that choice is up to the individual of course. Word of caution, don't try and press too hard with whichever dirt cleaning tool used, far better to go over several times than trying to do it in one wipe. Never ever use a cotton bud as an alternative its not designed for the job and WILL leave small hairs.
After each operation just check to see the dust/dirt has gone ,you don't want to clean a sensor that's already clean. Make sure you have a fully charged battery to keep the mirror locked up.

Just a brief note on where other dirt/dust may show up. One is the mirror, easily checked if the dirt shows in the view finder but not on the photo, Cleaning is again easy by using one of the aforementoined wipes and if necessary a bit of fluid. I just gently manually lift the mirror to do the underside, just treat it like cleaning a sensor. The other place I have come across is the camera body side of the viewfinder lens, easily found obviously and this may need a bit of a wipe as well but usually needs no attention

Thats really all there is too it, no magic methods, no secret way only known to companies offering this service.

Hope this may be of some help for those wondering if they could do the job themselves, there are plenty of demos on youtube bearing in mind some may vary slightly from how I do it

realspeed

Copperhill images in the USA do fantastic sensor cleaning products. I bought the large kit as it is a one time purchase. Their sensor brush is fantastic and is all you need for dust. For the more stickier spots the Copperhill wand and either pec pads or the cut strips work brilliantly with the supplied eclipse.
Tried visible dust swabs but sometimes a clean can take up to 4 or 5 swabs to get it perfectly clean. I was a bit disappointed with the Visible dust swabs because they did leave fibres on the sensor. In the end i removed the material and replaced it with a pec pad which worked much better.

Ok.So, I'm no longer a sensor cleaning virgin.

So how was it?

I bought a kit of 5 24mm swabs and some fluid vie ebay, but from a UK based photographic firm rather than HK.

Reading all theb lurb, I charged the battery, and set the sensor into cleaning mode.

Removed the lens and turning the camera upside down blew some clean air I from the blower thingy I have. The I cleaned the sensor. Straight in for a wet clean. When I say wet, it will have only been a few drops on the swan. hardly wet.

Reset the sensor back to taking pictures mode and ok a picture of the sky at F/22.

Most of the dust was cleared, just some bits in the corners now. But these cant be seen at F/11, so for now, that 's it!

I'd go over it again. I cleaned mine today and it took 2 swabs to get all the spots off.

This time of year and for the next 2 months can be a real PITA if you photo outdoors. Not only is pollen at a very high level but you also have all the airborne dust from the combines and other farm machinery! :bang:

Andy

Right cleaned the sensor wih "Visible dust Corner swabs"

They did get rid of some of the ***** at F/22.But not all. The hardest bit of the job was getting into the packaging-Why does it have to be so hard?

Anyway at F/16 using my 50mm lens it ook like all the ***** was gone. So I cranked it up the smallest appature on my 24-85GVr and there was still some marks.Could not get them to go. These are right in the corners. At 100% they are about 25mm from the very corner. Not sure what that is at the sensor.
Anyway they are still there. May just have to live with it. IS it possible to get a sensor dirt/dust free?

Use a Loupe as I suggested makes it far easier you can actually see the spots on the sensor and exactly wher eto clean.

If you were near me you could come and use mine

Last edited:
Use a Loupe as I suggested makes it far easier you can actually see the spots on the sensor and exactly wher eto clean.

If you were near me you could come and use mine
Thanks for the offer. May need to invest in a loupe. This bit of dust must be small as it really only a PITA at f/22.

Visible dust Loupe

Robert I consider a Loupe almost as important as a good lens. Its saved me so much time sensor cleaning and really makes it so easy

Last edited:
Visible dust Loupe

Robert I consider a Loupe almost as important as a good lens. Its saved me so much time sensor cleaning and really makes it so easy

Think ill invest in one of these. I change lenses a lot, so it's no surprise I get dust. Luck early I don't use small apertures too much..

Any advice on suppliers for these?

Back