Sensor Cleaning

Edit My Images
No
Got a Nikon D200 and would love to know if anyone knows a cheapish sensor cleaner at a repairer, or any tips on doing it oneself.

Always very scary doing it yourself for the first time. I have done so many now it is automatic for me.

Tips- if you can afford it, send it to Nikon for a service and clean up (£100'ish)

if you are going to do it yourself get a tool like the delkin scope but throw the delkin swabs and cleaning fluid in the rubbish bin as they are total crap.

get some 1.5X VisableDust Vswabs (approx 12 for £25) and a bottle of Eclipse optic cleaning fluid, also get a large air blower ball, do not use compressed air or the 'HANDY VAC'

Test- put on a 50mm or whatever lens and set the f to f22 or higher if goes higher. set the shutter for about 5 seconds, take a shot (jpg is fine) of a white surface, I use a piece of white card, wave the cam around the white card to get a nice pure whit pic. Open this pic with Photoshop and run auto levels on it, you should see how dirty your sensor is.

open the D200 in cleaning mode, view the sensor with the delkin scope to see just how dirty it is, maybe it can be simply BLOWN away by the blower. If you have large dust on the sensor be VERY careful to remove them before swabbing as these can/may cause the sensor glass to scratch (trouble)

give the whole chamber a good blow out all around, up and down etc, never touch the sensor, try to get as close as you dare with the blower and get rid of what you can.

now check again with the scope. If you have some stubborn bit stuck on the sensor (very bad cases) you will need to use a DRY swab to encourage the dirt OFF the sensor. When you are happy that there are no big rocks on the sensor you can try doing the test again to be sure and you may not need to do a wet wipe.

wet wipe- apply 2-3 drops of fluid to the swab allow 5-10 secs for it to settle in then run the swab from left to right across the sensor (they are made to fit) applying a bit of pressure, turn the swab over and run again from right to left. try to make it a smooth action and be sure to hit the corners. DO NOT PRESS SO HARD YOUR FINGERS GO WHITE but be pretty firm. check again with the scope for any stains, if happy, blow out the chamber again and your fit to go.

Good luck with it. I will be happy to guide you if you supply the swabs I will do it for you cheap too but it is satisfying to do it yourself.

Blower blew dust up into my viewer on a 5D, fog or what!
I now use a battery operated 'Visualdust Flutterby',
Jim

Back