Sensors

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Was just wondering about the sensors in compacts and bridges, do you reckon a 1" sensor will be substantially better than the typical 1/2.3" sensors when it comes to image quality and low light performance? Or would it be better to look at APS-C sized sensors in a compact/bridge?

Last edited:
If you mean the Sony Rx100/rx10 1 inch sensor it's subtantially better than that in a typical compact.

It's not quite as good as a sony apsc sensor but it's mainly the low light noise where it falls down. Dynamic range is very good.

I've got a Sony HX400V for general personal use at the moment which is the 1/2.3" sensor but it does have a 50x zoom which is actually very good quality with excellent stability. The 24fps was appealing also with a generous bitrate and format. I've actually made use of the large zoom a lot and it was very handy in places like Safari. The RX10 has an 8.3x zoom and the RX100 only has a 3.6x zoom - I don't think the 1" sensor would allow enough cropping to match the longer range of the HX400V, so I'm wondering if there's any compacts/bridge that have a 1"+ sensor with longer reach? I would prefer to have the reach via glass than having to crop too much.

The AF system with the Sony is excellent and very fast, I wasn't so impressed with Samsung and Panasonic alternatives when testing and also noticed that compacts tended to be a lot slower at focusing than Bridge cameras. I didn't test everything though! lol

I've got a Sony HX400V for general personal use at the moment which is the 1/2.3" sensor but it does have a 50x zoom which is actually very good quality with excellent stability. The 24fps was appealing also with a generous bitrate and format. I've actually made use of the large zoom a lot and it was very handy in places like Safari. The RX10 has an 8.3x zoom and the RX100 only has a 3.6x zoom - I don't think the 1" sensor would allow enough cropping to match the longer range of the HX400V, so I'm wondering if there's any compacts/bridge that have a 1"+ sensor with longer reach? I would prefer to have the reach via glass than having to crop too much.

The AF system with the Sony is excellent and very fast, I wasn't so impressed with Samsung and Panasonic alternatives when testing and also noticed that compacts tended to be a lot slower at focusing than Bridge cameras. I didn't test everything though! lol

The 1" is bigger than 1/2.3 btw so will have

Much better noise.
Larger effective apperture

It really depends what your shooting, not everybody needs a 50x zoom

Have read of this rx100 v3 review for some good explanations and comparison charts you can cutomise to try different camera

Sensor size chart

Got a nikon v1with a 10mp 1" sensor. I've printed A3 colour and black and white off files taken at ISO levels up to 1600 ISO, much better iq at higher ISO than my old canon G9 or current power shot s110, having said that I'm looking at a canvas on the wall 24" by 16" taken on the S110 at 400iso!

Panasonic lx1000 has the 1 inch sensor and a 25-400mm lens.

Having another look and the RX10 does seem to tick many boxes, 1" sensor, constant aperture etc. Fair enough only the 8.3x zoom though. Just saw the A5000 with 55-210mm lens. APS-C sensor in a compact body at a decent enough price.

When playing with the Panasonics I didn't find their AF as quick as the Sony's and they seemed to hunt more.

Probably need to have a play with some of them in person :)

I have an rx10 and it fits my needs perfectly, it's a lovely piece of kit but I rarely go further than 200mm and when I do I have a dslr setup. The only compliant is the af isn't especially quick.

The panasonic lx1000 is supposed to have very good af but loses out on a lot of the nice features of the Rx10.

Cheers, it's a shame there isn't a full frame 60x f2.8 constant aperture zoom bridge with 24fps video and ninja speed AF for about £600.

It would be a shame, all that and you'd be stuck with an EVF!

Plus you'd need a trailer to carry it about... :)

Back