September Storms

Name
Steve Webb
Edit My Images
Yes
On the night of September 5th 2022, the south coast of England was battered by at least 3 storms moving up the English Channel and hitting land along the Sussex coast. One of these storms was a rare, for the UK, shelf cloud which had moved up the channel during the early evening and turned inland near Brighton. Just for a change, I was out and about and decided to set up camp on the sea front at Seaford under a shelter. A stroke of luck as far as location was concerned, as the 3 storms went around me rather than overhead, giving me a chance to get some photos of all 3.
I set up an intervalometer to take 30 frames at 1 second intervals, though, I didn't set it up correctly as I hadn't put the camera on B, instead using the camera settings on M, and some of the lightning was so close and bright it burnt out the sky. There's quite a few to the set, but I've added just a few here. If you want to see the rest, just follow the Flickr link.
Storms Over The Channel 5th Sept 2022 by Stephen Webb, on Flickr

Very interesting and well caught set, nicely done.

"Excellent" set of storm/landscape style captures Steve, liking all of these very much.

Great set, well captured ;)

Some great shots there Steve - well caught. :)

Is that Seaford Head and Newhaven?

Some great shots there Steve - well caught. :)

Is that Seaford Head and Newhaven?
w
Yes, I was on the sea front at Seaford, some shots taken towards Newhaven, the ferry is in one, and others taken looking towards Seaford Head, as well as out to sea.

Reactions: Sky
Fascinating stuff. I haven't had much luck with this , we don't seem to get that many thunderstorms in these parts.

Fascinating stuff. I haven't had much luck with this , we don't seem to get that many thunderstorms in these parts.
I'm not usually lucky with them, the south coast get a lot, but I'm rarely in a position to get down there, even though it's only a 30 minute drive. It's the luck of the draw, often they are forecast and nothing happens, these ones were only forecast less than 24 hours beforehand, and even then there was only a small chance, right up to the late afternoon. I nearly went home

Well done on the technical side and thanks for the explanation. All the pictures have their appeal. Great stuff Steve :D

Back