Setting up a laptop as an FTP server for tethered shooting with a 1Dx

Ah I see.

Has anyone done this with a Mac laptop running Maverick? This is exactly what I am looking for but can't exactly figure out how to do it running Mac.

I've not done this for tethering, but the principles are fairly straightforward.

First, you'll need to set up a static IP address.

The most convenient way to use this going forward on a Mac is to create a new Location, which allows you to just switch to this network setting when you need it.

01 - Go to System Preferences

View attachment 3661

02 - Click on the Network panel

View attachment 3662

03 - Select Edit Locations from the Locations menu.

View attachment 3663

04 - Click the + button at the bottom of the list (you may just have one Automatic entry - I have rather a few that I use :))

View attachment 3664

05 - This will create a new Untitled Location, rename it to Tether or something meaningful to you.

Click Done.

06 - Next we'll create a new interface. Click the + button in the bottom left.

View attachment 3665

Continues...

07 You'll probably want to select Ethernet or Built-in Ethernet for this. My MBP doesn't have one, so I'm using ThunderBolt Bridge.

View attachment 3666

Click Create

08 The Interface will use DHCP by default

View attachment 3667

09 On the Configure IPv4 menu, select Manually

View attachment 3668

10 Enter your fixed IP Address - I'm using the same details as bigrob's Windows example above to keep things consistent.

View attachment 3669

Click the Apply button in the bottom right of the window and you're set up with a static IP address.

11 You can then switch between this setup for Tethered use and your regular settings by choosing the Automatic or Tether locations from the Location sub-menu on the Apple menu

View attachment 3671

Mac OS X has an FTP server built in.

To turn it on, open the Terminal in /Applications/Utilities/

type the following command

sudo -s launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ftp.plist

followed by a return

When the FTP server is running, you should be able to log in using your the username and password you normally use to access your account on your Mac.

The FTP client will open up in your Home Directory. You may want to configure the camera to drop files into a subdirectory.

To turn the FTP server off

sudo -s launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ftp.plist

again, followed by a return

if you want a simple FTP server with a GUI, then Pure FTP is great.

http://www.pureftpd.org/project/pure-ftpd

Hope this helps :)

Cat5 probably would be slightly more secure. 5m lead was a USB one.

To setup it up, all you need to do is:

Install FileZilla server and setup folder, username and password
Give the Ethernet port of your laptop a static IP address, let's say 10.1.1.1
Give your camera a static IP in the same range, 10.1.1.2
Point the 1dx to 10.1.1.1, ie your laptop

And you are done

So if you have 2 cameras or for fun let's say 3 and you have 3 network ports on your laptop, how would you set the NIC ports up, the cameras and Filezilla.

Ta in advance

You would use a network switch and connect all devices to that. In terms of IP addresses, just make sure the number at the end is unique for each device and it is between 1 and 254

Thanks

Anyone get this to work ? (windows)

Keep getting Err 41 Cannot connect to FTP server

Yes I have a 1Dx and a 1D4 working at the same time :banana:

Yes I have a 1Dx and a 1D4 working at the same time :banana:

In your post No 32, on the image No5 you have the IP address as 10.1.1.1 but in the writing above the image you have 10.1.1.2?

Is this an error?

Nope.

Filezilla - set the IP to 10.1.1.1

PC - Control Panel > Network and Sharing Centre > Change Adaptor Settings (on left hand side. I assume you know this but just in case). Right click on the network card you are using and click properties. Change IP 4 setting to 10.1.1.1 and 255.255.255.196 as the subnet and apply.

You set 10.1.1.2 as the network address on the camera.

If you haven't got a rule set up on your firewall, then for now, just turn it off and see if you can get the connection working.

This is what you have

BYhwXx8.jpg

I had it working fine like the but somehow changed it it to a 192 address in the close season.

Send me a pm and I will email u a doc.

Back