Setting up a small studio

Name
Amin
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I've got a spare room that I intend to use as a studio for portrait shots, it'll be more so focused around capturing beauty shots/family portraits.
The room is at my disposal, so I'm thinking painting it white and blocking out natural sunlight via blinds will be a good idea. Floor will be white, wooden flooring at the moment, but I was thinking of covering it with something and painting it white, and re-painting should foot prints start appearing.
The room will be lit by energy saving daylight bulbs, I can fit multiple bulbs if need be. Heat isn't an issue, naturally cold room, good ventilation.

I intend to use the following, which I already own:
Canon 500D
Canon 35mm F1.4
Canon 50mm F1.8
Canon EX 430 II
Tripod (if needed, nothing fancy unfortunately)

I'm assuming I need the following (but not sure, hence asking here :) )
- Back light
- Softbox
- Reflector
- Flash tripod
- Cable/wireless transmitter for Flashgun
- Backdrop - was thinking white

What do you wonderful people reckon? Effectively I'm asking for a shopping list, in terms of budget I will spend what's required to provide adequate lighting, but ultimately, I don't want to spend more than I have to.

I'd get:
popup double sided (black & white) background.
3 reflectors - different size 5 in 1 types - clear, black, white, silver, gold)
a boom arm - hold reflectors
a couple of tripods - cheap & lightweight to hold B/G's / reflectors..

Thanks Pete, much appreciated.

So no need for additional light?

Suggest a re-think.

Unless your room is large and with a high ceiling, all white will give you very little lighting control - no modelling, no shadows, no good at all. The ideal studio is actually black, so the only light reaching the subject is directed and controlled at source - not reflecting and bouncing around the room. This is usually obtained with curtains or screens and blinds.

If you're serious about this, forget continuous lighting. Nothing affordable is bright enough. Go flash, preferably with studio heads.

Last edited:
Wouldn't get any continuous lighting..
Try using the above with a single light (flash or sudio head) & work from there.
I'd also use black full length curtains on the windowside.

Thanks both, will do as you said and add additional flash guns/studio heads, if/as required.

Last edited:
Amin,

The reason I suggested the above was so you can practise with NO LIGHTS !!!
It is about the cheapest way of doing it, learning to use natural light - THE SUN & as you have a couple of Fast lenses, with the reflectors this will aid you greater than just going out & spending a lot of money that 'may' only be used a few times.

Amin,

The reason I suggested the above was so you can practise with NO LIGHTS !!!
It is about the cheapest way of doing it, learning to use natural light - THE SUN & as you have a couple of Fast lenses, with the reflectors this will aid you greater than just going out & spending a lot of money that 'may' only be used a few times.

Items which you could probably make use of, without too much outlay, and still have some creative fun:
Reflector (large, a 30cm is difficult to use I find, so I am after getting another myself), the 5 in 1 ones appear to be around £10 on ebay for 110cm. Larger is easier, but cost more...
You have a tripod for your camera, try putting your flash on it, and consider a wireless trigger for the flash (I don't think the 500d can be used as a trigger on its own). There are cheap ebay ones, mine only lasted a couple of months, but enough to play with.
Consider a bracket, or a tripod/boom to hold the reflector (or a willing volunteer).
This will give you the ability to have an off-camera light source, and a reflector. If you enjoy that, then consider a second flash for more interesting effects. You can use cardboard/tape and cheap gels for affecting/modifying the light from the flashes when they are off camera.
I have been doing that for a while, I have an onboard flash with the 7d, and two other speedlights. I am now starting to consider getting a studio light setup, OR, a third flash (about the same price for the 430 EX II at £190 at the mo!). Advantages of the flashes are, you are not restricted to being at home, I took mine to a family house at Christmas, left them on in the corners of a room, and used them in the afternoon.

Back