Seven Sisters Sunset (Another Added)

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
Ventured out for sunset tonight to try out my newly acquired bargain lens.

Took a punt on a Canon 28-70 from eBay. Manufactured in 1989 no less! For the princely sum of £40 it's pristine and from what I can deduce it's sharp as a tack. Fills that focal length nicely for me until the funds for the L glass materialise :)

As always, all comments and crit are very gratefully received.

Seven Sisters Sunset by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

Theres a bit ofa halo around the trees. Have you used contrast masking?

Should they rename that place, I can only see Six trees.
Nice light, and better square format

Nice light, as for the crop I'm not so sure, I know it's all personal taste but for me the trees are too in your face with the square crop. I lkie it how it is

Should they rename that place, I can only see Six trees.
Nice light, and better square format

Might be wrong but one of my mates reckons it's because one of the trees on the left is split down the middle and counts as two. There's also the possibility he could very easily have been making that up though :)

Really nice image, the texture and tone of the foreground grass really works for me, however there might be a little to much of it? The lighting is lovely though.

I still think I prefer the first, the texture really does make it for me, looks like some far away savanna in Africa - not the North East!

I still think I prefer the first, the texture really does make it for me, looks like some far away savanna in Africa - not the North East!

I think I'd like the first one better if the grass had of been more still - the slight movement spoils it a little for me.

Haha and as for Africa, the only wild animals you have to watch out for round here are the locals :)

Second one is better. It leads you into the trees and then to distant horizons...... the first one definitely imo has too much foreground and if cropped there are some long blades of grass which would distract the viewer.

Hi Danny, the last time I stopped there on my way home from work I got my camera and tripod set up, while i waited for the right shot a family passed me and walked straight through the middle of the trees. Probably my best shot of the Seven Sisters. Many years ago Eppleton Primary School planted a new tree to replace one that either died or badly damaged with the weather, the mound is infact an ancient burial ground.

Last edited:
I know what you mean Colin - with the path leading straight through the trees it's hard to get a shot without someone's head popping over the hill or a dog belting around the place :) Glad it worked out for you on that occasion!

A mate told me it was an ancient burial ground but thought he was having me on. I still like to be out of the vicinity before dark just in case though!!

I like the second shot, but just to be contradictory,I feel that it could do with a tad more grass, not much at all.
This time I can only count 5 trees, are you taking them home :)

I like the second shot, but just to be contradictory,I feel that it could do with a tad more grass, not much at all.
This time I can only count 5 trees, are you taking them home :)

I um'd and ah'd over it for ages but more grass meant and almost 50/50 split with the horizon and I try to avoid that where possible.

Haha I'm gonna rename the thread just 'The Sisters' :)

£40 off eBay, you say?

Sharp as a tack, you say?

Very handy focal range, you say?

>goes shopping<

Honestly mate I'm astounded by it. I wasn't expecting much but I've since found out it has a sorta cult following and I can see why.

There only caveat is that the filter thread retracts into the barrel slightly when you turn the zoom ring to zoom in. A bit of a weird feature that will effect you if you use a Cokin filter holder and adapter ring as you'll be stuck at 28mm when the holder is attached. No issue for me though as 28mm is ideal for my landscapes.

There were another 3-4 on that well known auction site so get bidding! :)

Last edited:
Back