Seventy Years On...

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Indeed it is pertinent... lovely moving set especially the pictures of the victims of this appalling side of some peoples nature.

Lest we not forget.

"Excellent" posting Martin, and very appropriate.(y)

George.

I cant think of anything I want to say, just thanks for sharing. No 4... brings a lump into the throat.

Last edited:
Thanks for your kind words. These were shot with my little TZ40 and PPd using Snapseed, hence they're never going to be the best images.

Trev - I'd been "strong" up until the point I saw the display of baby clothing of which this boot forms a very small part. However this was at the point that I broke down and cried. I think that, as a father and grandfather, it seemed to hit home. Babies had no place in the camps and often died within hours of arrival, unless they were twins...

I've been there a couple times now, both camps... the display that always gets me is the room full of shoes. Heartwrenching. At the larger one, there's a pond across from the woods near the crematoriums (or rather, where they were) that is like a mirror... the surface is a shiny grey colour. It's the ash still coming out of the ground from where it once was a pit. That broke me.

Thanks for your kind words. These were shot with my little TZ40 and PPd using Snapseed, hence they're never going to be the best images.

Babies had no place in the camps and often died within hours of arrival, unless they were twins...

...where they faced a far worse fate.

I visited Auchswitz a couple of years ago and regretfully returned my camera to the car as it stated that they were not permitted. I was then disappointed to see that loads of people were using cameras and taking the ubiquitous selfie. I also was surprised a the little respect shown by many visitors, running around, talking loudly and eating crisps - it felt like Disneyworld at times.

Visiting had a profound effect on me and I wished that I could have taken my children and grandchildren with me to show them what happened and to make sure that message was passed on to future generations.

How can the deniers deny this?

Thank you for the original post

Yep I've been twice to Auschwitz and there is this eerie silence that consumes the place. The photos hold impact yes but I would honestly advise people to go and visit to get a true perspective. It's not a nice day out but it's so eye opening and gives you such appreciation and gratitude for the lives we led today that we taken for granted.

Amazing set.

Back