Sheep etc.

Tomorrow? Maybe more lambs....
Yep.

The two that were tubed are now feeding themselves and looking much more lively.

_7825647.jpg

Back to day 1.

Much of the work involved moving sheep around.

From the lambing shed mothering up pens...

_7819478.jpg

... to the pens where they stay for a day or so in small groups.

_7819738.jpg

Then they go out to the fields or the fell. Twins to fields with better grazing, singles to the poorer fell.

_7819566.jpg

_7825429.jpg

_7819592.jpg

More...

Other jobs were tagging, tailing, and castrating.

_7819810.jpg

_7819618.jpg

I didn't get a good castration pic yesterday, this one's from day 2.

_7825634.jpg

Ewes and lambs have their tags recorded.

_7819718.jpg

Ewes that don't like their lambs get put in the naughty box. They can eat, drink and lie down, but they can't be nasty to their lamb which can suckle unmolested. After a day or two they should have got used to the lamb and be fine to be let out.

_7819555.jpg

All is peace and quiet.

_7825437.jpg

Last lot...

I was only stopping by today on my way to look for some illustration pics for the book, but one of the Lonks started lambing.

_7825524.jpg

Missed focus again FFS.

_7825528.jpg

Fresh out of the oven.

_7825544.jpg

_7825554.jpg

_7825589.jpg

Fifteen minutes after being born the lamb is looking for its first breakfast.

_7825617.jpg

That's a wrap.

The rest of the day was totally unproductive.

Wow! What a set of images. The one of the two lambs being carried caught my eye, but lots of great ones.

Wow! What a set of images. The one of the two lambs being carried caught my eye, but lots of great ones.
Thanks Paul. It's not easy, but fascinating and fun. Learned a lot too. Quite dark in the shed, and very dark in the old loose boxes where the small groups are put, even when the sun shines. And things happen pretty quickly too so catching the best moments is tricky. Especially given my incompetence!

I had a day driving about looking for landscapes relevant to Lonk sheep. Without much success, but at least I've crossed some off my list. I did did find some Lonk lambs. Surprise, surprise!

This one was being pestered by a bee.

_7810016.jpg

Keeping out of the wind behind mum.

_7819990.jpg

Still searching for a 'turbines with Lonks' picture.

_7825813.jpg

Another heavily processed 'sheep on sloping hill ridge' black & white.

_7810025.jpg

Taking a lengthy detour to avoid sitting in a tailback, and to look for elusive landscapes, on my way home I pulled over on a moor road to let some motorcyclists get past, and to have a look at a possible scene. The view had potential but the light was very flat. However a quad bike came into view, ridden by a Lonk man I know and his four passengers! Sadly the sheep were Cheviots.

Luke always a smile on his face no matter what.

_7825820.jpg

Back