Sheep etc.

I find curation the hardest part about putting a zine together, so well done for selecting from what must be a massive body of work.
It wasn't easy. I've been putting it off for a couple of months. I don't think it's a particularly 'artistic' selection, but in this instance it's more a record. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it!

I very nearly stayed at home today but as the sale was a late start and the rain eased up I thought I might as well make an effort as it's the last sheep sale that I'm likely to go to until February.

Like the Gisburn sale it was a Christmas show and sale of prime sheep (next stop the abattoir) and store lambs (to grow on a bit more). There was a class for horned sheep so a possibility of a Lonk or two. As it turned out just the one pen, which I didn't get any pics of, either in the pens or being sold. What I did try to get were some photos of mart work. Sorting sheep, scanning the EID tags, weighing the prime sheep. And also shots of the prime sheep selling which is a bit different as the sheep aren't paraded round the ring but driven down a race with buyers either side - so they can see, and feel, how much meat they're getting.

The mart is really gloomy at one end (I have one frame at ISO 18,000!), and they still have two bloody annoying lamps that are such a horrible colour someone complained they make ear tags look a different hue!

I made a bit more of an effort to get one good shot of each operation. Well, I shot more frames of each job than I usually do.

Sheep are unloaded.

_7816082.jpg

Sorting.

_7816071.jpg

What I had in mind and what I got didn't exactly marry up with this. I was struck by Beth's face being lit by the iPad as she scanned the tags, but I didn't manage to frame a decent shot that showed the sheep well enough.

_7822002.jpg

This one where here face is actually hidden I'd like a lot more if the sheep were more prominent.

_7822001.jpg

Sheep going for slaughter have to be 'belly clipped'. Some farmers do it themselves, others have it done at the mart.

_7816143.jpg

Each batch of prime sheep gets weighed on its way to the ring. This is where the horrible lights are.

_7816221.jpg

More...

Store sheep are sold first.

_7816162.jpg

Then there's a short interlude while the race is set up in the sale ring.

_7816190.jpg

_7816249.jpg

_7816266.jpg

A couple of random pics to finish off.

A lost sheep.

_7816127.jpg

Tricolour.

_7816146.jpg

Thanks for looking. Comments appreciated.

It was well worth getting the proof copy printed.

I've changed two pictures because they were too similar to another from the same shows. With mostly four pictures from each show variety seemed wise. Another picture I swapped out because I didn't think it fitted too well. The final show, the one at the mart, I've removed altogether. Although I might put it back in. Undecided about that.

Considering a change of title too. Again, undecided. Also unsure about adding some brief text. Thoughts please!

_7513618.jpg

master.jpg

The shed is looking more like a shed now.

_7816271.jpg

My Lonk Show book/zine/thing is now with Mixam for a single copy test print. It's 80 pages plus covers, so had to be perfect bound, which meant making a PDF file for the spine. I added text and changed another photo. Just realised there's no contact info. D'oh!

Preview https://mixam.co.uk/share/657ded91e5234a5aa386e3e1

A dry day coinciding with a sheep dog trial is a rarity these days so I went for few hours. A testing field meant that there wasn't much close range action and it being a long course what there was came at half hour intervals. A lot of down time saw me losing interest. There are two more trials this week but the forecast is looking wet, and my interest has seriously waned.

Some interest today though. Nine very well trained border collies.

Eight of them.

_7822056.jpg

The full set.

_7822113.jpg

All it took was a quiet "Behind me", and they'd all fall in behind!

_7816328.jpg

One of the few action shots worth showing.

_7822035.jpg

Taking the sheep back up to the letting out pen.

_7822095.jpg

_7822106.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I left quite early and stopped off to look at a Lonk flock. I did a bit of landscape photography while I was there. Well, kind of landscape photography. There are Gritstones in the picture! having studied an old map of the area after a previous visit this shot is a record of a changed and changing environment. The obvious signs are the crumbling stone walls and the recently planted trees, showing how it has been changed by economic and political forces. What the map reveals is that the valley, or probably 'clough', hasn't gone directly from a farmed to regenerated a landscape. It had a period under water as there was a Blackburn Corporation reservoir there until some time in the last century.

_7816351.jpg

2023-12-26_203315.jpg

I got some half reasonable shots of the Lonks which might come in useful for my Lonk project.

_7822270.jpg

_7822276.jpg

I do like wind turbines and other 'eyesores' in my 'landscape' pictures. I wonder if they'll have been replaced by some other form of land use 100 years from now?

_7822282.jpg

My hope in going to today's sheep dog trial was mostly to get some photos of Lonks. I shoot quite a lot at the trials and come away with a fair few that I know will appeal to those who were there or are into trialing, but very few that are 'pictures' worth showing to a wider audience. I keep saying that enough is enough, but it's something to do with my free time...

The Lonks were living up to their reputation of being stubborn and independent minded. I don't think they are trialers' favourite breed. Then again they moan about most of the others too!

_7822333.jpg

_7822329.jpg

I guess this is more a picture of the dog than the sheep.

_7822423.jpg

I don't usually make unusual crops but this might work as a banner image.

_7822426.jpg

As far as 'pictures' go that's about it from today. With a bit of luck it'll throw it down on Saturday morning and I'll not be tempted to go and take more pointless snaps at the trial that's on then. :LOL:

All comments, even rude ones, welcome!

Last 2 images are great (y)
Ta. Probably the best two of the day. This is one of the few venues where I can get close to the action with a decent angle for the light (when there is any), and at a decent level to the dogs in places.

A new year and a new approach top this project. Or more accurately a more focused approach top by 'big Lonk book' project now I have a better idea of what it will consist of. Hence there'll be more shooting to a brief. As I'm planning a section on the annual Lonk show and it's historical connection with the Ram Inn I thought I'd try to find a view of the inn from Thievely Pike on Deerplay Moor. Google maps suggested it might be possible, and it didn't look too far a walk, and not too steep from the Deerplay side. Suffice to say I almost gave up about two thirds of the way to the trig point! It wasn't all that steep, apart from a dip with water running down it. More than a rivulet but less than a stream, but it was boggy for a long stretch so awkward walking. If I hadn't spotted sheep on the skyline near the summit I would probably have turned back. With my usual luck the sun and blue skies gradually disappeared the closer I got to my goal, but it was more a scouting trip than one expecting to get the shot I wanted so I wasn't all that fussed.

_7822536.jpg

I think the view is almost what I hoped for. I took a few tighter frames of the pub, but this wider view was more like I'd envisaged. A return in sunnier weather, with an earlier start to give me more time (it was near on dark when I got back to my car) and maybe even a tripod, might be in order. At least I know what focal length range will work, and with more time I might be able to find a view that includes the show field. It would have been too much to hope to get a Lonk or two in the foreground. But you never know. When I eventually reached the sheep I'd spotted from lower down they were, indeed, Lonk ewes! And not too flighty. Albeit uncooperative.

_7822544.jpg

_7822523.jpg

In other news, orders are coming in from my sheep friends on Facebook for the Lonk Shows book, which Mixam should be printing this week. As I mentioned ith teh book making trhead I ordered one test copy and got sent three.

_7513631.jpg

Hopefully sales will cover costs. I'm not likely to sell enough to make it worth doing as a profit making exercise IMO. I'll also do an offer with that and the first book/zine I did to clear the few I have left over. One person asked if I was going to do something similar with Gritstone photos. Probably not as I don't think I have enough worth collating. I'll have a look though.

Thanks to everyone who's looked in on this in 2023. :)

Just catching up on this thread.
i don't know whether you did incorporate text into the Lonk book but for what it is worth at this late stage i always find that useful - place, date (or month/season), any historical or topical comment etc.
in your latest post you talk of the historical connection to the Ram Inn but I am not sure that your photo at the moment gives any indication of that. To be honest I am not even sure where the Ram Inn is in your photo :)

I particularly liked the shot with the urban background (Blackburn?) because of the context of the hills around those northern towns.

Let's hope that the weather improves as the light is so important in your shots - some of them can look flat in the dismal weather that we have had for the last few weeks.
Happy New Year(y)

Just catching up on this thread.
i don't know whether you did incorporate text into the Lonk book but for what it is worth at this late stage i always find that useful - place, date (or month/season), any historical or topical comment etc.
in your latest post you talk of the historical connection to the Ram Inn but I am not sure that your photo at the moment gives any indication of that. To be honest I am not even sure where the Ram Inn is in your photo :)

I particularly liked the shot with the urban background (Blackburn?) because of the context of the hills around those northern towns.

Let's hope that the weather improves as the light is so important in your shots - some of them can look flat in the dismal weather that we have had for the last few weeks.
Happy New Year(y)
Happy new year to you, Alan, and thanks for the comments.

The only text in the latest book is the names of the shows. I was going to put the dates in too but forgot...

The distant shot of The Ram will only be one of a series. I have front-on shots of the pub and detail pics of the sign which is of a Lonk, plus shots of the show with the pub sign in the background. e.g.:

_7829600.jpg

Also, in 'the big book', there will be text about it including this I've found:

"At some point between 1851 and 1868 The Holmes Chapel Inn or Plum Tree Inn became the Ram, as it has been known ever since. It is almost certain that this was because of the involvement of local farmers, particularly the Whithams and Westalls, in the evolution of the East Lancashire breed of sheep, the Lonk. It has always been accepted that the in sign should portray a typical Lonk Tup. Masonic symbols, also incorporated in the sign, would seem to indicate that the inn was at one time a travelling lodge, but this episode is shrouded in Masonic secrecy."

That is Blackburn in the photo. (y) I'm still searching for the 'perfect' shot of a Lonk with hills and town in the background. I might have to venture deeper into Lonk Country to find it.

Nothing much sheep activity for me despite the upturn in the weather as my car's off the road. :headbang: No doubt as soon as I get it back the weather will revert to rubbish and/or I'll be busy with work...

The roof was going on the shed yesterday. I hadn't gone out intending to take photos, so only a quick snap from the compact I carry 'just in case'. Also I wasn't sure if the HSE would approve of the working practices!

DSC_3079.jpg

Now to see how much of the interest converts into cash in the bank.:)

_7513756.jpg

Other than that I'm waiting to see how the Rare Breed Survival Trust uses the Lonk photos I sent them before Christmas.

Having been off the road for a couple of weeks, and missing out on the snow, I forced myself out today knowing it would rain. It's only 24 miles away by road but almost 1000 feet higher. Still patches of snow and ice lingering.

It was a trial run by a local Young Farmers Club branch.

Sheep going back.

_7816789.jpg

Young farmers trying to keep the sheep in one place for the dog to gather them!

_7822680.jpg

Wet.

_7816805.jpg

Away!

_7822633.jpg

Timed out.

_7822761.jpg

The catering trailer. I reckon letting the YFC have some jpegs was a fair trade for a brew and sausage and bacon butty. :)

_7816783.jpg

It was another gloomy day with badly behaving sheep making for rubbish photos. I only stopped a couple of hours as the weather turned even worse.

In other news sales of the Lonk book have covered the printing costs and I'm looking forward to more farm visits. :) I'm also rebuilding my photo website - for the third time... The new system seems to be pretty easy to use and get the look I want. Not got any sheep photos up yet as I can't decide how to organise them. https://photo.dlst.co.uk

It wasn't the best conditions for a portrait shoot, but Johanna was happy with the result. I'm thinking of buying a 'clicker' or taking the squeak out of a squeaky toy in case I do any more dog portraits. It'll either make them look towards me or go for my throat!

_7816809.jpg

It wasn't the best conditions for a portrait shoot, but Johanna was happy with the result. I'm thinking of buying a 'clicker' or taking the squeak out of a squeaky toy in case I do any more dog portraits. It'll either make them look towards me or go for my throat!

It may not have been the best weather, but certainly atmospheric and appropriate for the subject. I think that would look cracking in B&W personally.

Regarding getting the sheepdog's attention - you could dress as a sheep?!?

Wasted a day today waiting in for a customer who never turned up so started playing around with (rough) layouts for my 'big book' project. I finally have a plan for arranging the content. All I have to do is get my finger out and take the photos. The sections on shows and sales are pretty well covered, what's needed is more farm photos. Text blurred as it's not finalised.

Any thoughts?

2024-01-27_192753.jpg

By gum it were a bitter wind up on the moor today!

Colour or black and white?
spl.jpg
y6y.jpg
And a heavily manipulated 'landscape' for effect.

jy.jpg
Sheep dog pics to follow.

Now I've thawed out, here are some sheep dog photos. Grim light as usual. I was hoping the clouds would break as one forecast had suggested, but they didn't where I was.

_7817000.jpg

_7822823.jpg

No pen at this trial. Not sure why the change, but it was replaced by an 'alley' for want of a better term. There probably is a name for it but if there is it escapes me.

_7822846.jpg

Although the dogs came within decent range (which probably accounted for more than usual in focus) these are crops.

_7822807.jpg

_7822894.jpg

_7822923.jpg

Back at sheep next weekend with a bit of luck.

The sun was shining so I went to have another try for the distant view of The Ram Inn. I failed miserably. This landscape lark is beyond me. I just can't be arsed lugging a tripod around and waiting for the light to change. Stuff it!

The arrow points to the field where the Lonk show is held.

arrow.jpg

I did find a ewe's horn, which is now residing in my garage until I decide what to do with it. It's branded FH on the other side.

_7817084.jpg

I'm not sure if these next two count as 'landscapes' but they're more like my sort of picture.

_7817083.jpg

I'm looking for illustrations to put in my 'big Lonk book'. I wanted a picture to show the kind of grazing Lonks have in winter.

_7817114.jpg

I called in somewhere else on my way home and found a flock of Gritsones as the sun was starting to set. A pity about the telephone mast growing out of this one's back!

_7817132.jpg

_7817133.jpg

I went to the Bentham in-lamb sale today. Not because I was particularly interested in what was being sold, although I do find Dalesbreds quite photogenic, but to get some practice in. there were pre-sale shows for all the breeds there, Herdwick, Swaledale, and Blue Faced Leicester in addition to the Dalesbreds. I got some show pics, some general pics, some 'abstract' pics, but no sale pics as the place was packed out and I left it too late to get ringside.

Herdwick abstract.

_7817219.jpg

Dalesbred semi abstract.

_7817307.jpg

_7817400.jpg

Spotlit Swaledale.

_7817295.jpg

Dancing Herdwicks.

_7817338.jpg

Herdwick parade.

_7817333.jpg

I'll put a few more up...

Pregnancy scanner on site.

_7817178.jpg

Sorting Dalesbreds for the show.

_7817210.jpg

Waiting to go in the sale ring.

_7817481.jpg

Sticks.

_7817367.jpg

Posing for the official photographer.

_7817267.jpg

There might be some Lonks I went to look at on my way home later. If not, there should be tomorrow as I'm going to see a flock being scanned. Hope the rain holds off.

The rain held off. I arrived just as the flock had been chased/lured into a holding pen. A bag of 'provin' works wonders when the grazing is sparse!

_7817504-2.jpg

Next the process is repeated to get them into the race

_7823033.jpg

By the time the scanner turned up the light had picked up a bit.

_7823039.jpg

Teamwork pushes the ewes along the race to the scanning crate where they get a little extra assistance to enter it. The sheep are marked as to how many lambs they are carrying.

_7823067.jpg

Inside the scanner's little world.

_7817531.jpg

In less than half an hour 55 ewes had been scanned and the results were in. Triplets are unusual for hill sheep like Lonks, and not all that welcome as sheep only have two teats - meaning there'll be pet lambs to look after if they can't find a foster mother for the extras.

_7817561.jpg

As usual reviewing my results I can see what I've missed recording, shots that could have been better, mistakes I made. With a bit of luck I might get another chance with another flock.

Pregnancy scanner on site.

View attachment 413836

Sorting Dalesbreds for the show.

View attachment 413837

Waiting to go in the sale ring.

View attachment 413839

Sticks.

View attachment 413838

Posing for the official photographer.

View attachment 413841

There might be some Lonks I went to look at on my way home later. If not, there should be tomorrow as I'm going to see a flock being scanned. Hope the rain holds off.

A good set.
I particularly like the spotlit sheep, mirrored by the child in arms, the individual sheep with their handlers (dancing herdwicks) (good connections between them) and the sticks (on first glance the middle one resembles a mute swan )

Last edited:
A good set.
I particularly like the spotlit sheep, mirrored by the child in arms, the individual sheep with their handlers (dancing herdwicks) (good connections between them) and the sticks (on first glance the middle one resembles a mute swan )
Thanks. That stick is an odd one. They're not the finest sticks, but they made a good photo the way the light struck them.

Yesterday I should have been braver and gone to the snowfields to get some Lonk photos despite the road closures I saw on social media. I was hoping there'd still be some of the white stuff lying today but the temperature had shot up and the snow turned to rain overnight. There was a bit here and there up high but only patches. Still the Lonks I'd photographed at the weekend were obliging. Either unusually friendly sheep, or more likely hoping for food when they heard a car park up by the gate! I had fun snapping away while they stood and stared hopefully at me before they got bored and wandered off.

_7817579.jpg

_7817589.jpg

_7817610.jpg

_7817613.jpg

_7817592.jpg

_7817599.jpg

A rather disappointing in-lamb show and sale of Lonks today. A low entry and little interest from buyers on the sheep side, and uninspired and boring lot of pictures on my side. There were plenty of sheep of other breeds, but I couldn't get motivated to photograph them. :(

A quizzical Whitefaced Woodland enters the scanning crate. (Thanks to LR's AI noise reduction on my accidentally ISO 40,000 snap - I said it was a bad day!)

_7823136-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Pirate Woodland...

_7823184.jpg

The show takes place in a big shed filled with all sorts of junk, and a bright yellow JCB, that fills the background with visual clutter. One reason to convert to black and white.

_7823224.jpg

Or get in close to crop it out.

_7823236.jpg

Someone spotted my camera!

_7823291.jpg

The day was sponsored by the Farmers Guardian, their photographer was directing the prize winning sheep.

_7823332.jpg

Pretty grim overall.

Back