shetland ponies!

hay (ley)

i think it's about time you learned to scrutinize your own pics before posting them :|

nice looking ponies ( or whatever they are, against a brocoli backdrop)

you are are getting better in some areas but still posting 'snaps'

hay (ley)

i think it's about time you learned to scrutinize your own pics before posting them :|

nice looking ponies ( or whatever they are, against a brocoli backdrop)

you are are getting better in some areas but still posting 'snaps'

this photo's quite old, i post the ones that need work so that i can improve on them.

but what do you mean brocoli backdrop??

I think he means the cluttered messy background. If you put a bit more thought and planning into your shots ,you would notice a big improvement Hayley.

I think he means the cluttered messy background. If you put a bit more thought and planning into your shots ,you would notice a big improvement Hayley.

well other then the fence witch without editing i cant get rid of or the horses would get lose its would of been either trees or the yard and the trees made for a much better background, the DOF could of been better to get it more blurred but not much else i could of done with it, they were going uphill and if i had straighted the horrizon it distorted the look of the horses

hayley.price said:
well other then the fence witch without editing i cant get rid of or the horses would get lose its would of been either trees or the yard and the trees made for a much better background, the DOF could of been better to get it more blurred but not much else i could of done with it, they were going uphill and if i had straighted the horrizon it distorted the look of the horses

Hayley, how much do you know about editing?

I know nothing about editing a photo so I therefore have to think alot more before I take every photo. In this instance I would have thought more about the background. For example, I would have got the fence straight, I understand they are going uphill and that could be difficult, but was the whole field uphill? Could you have captured them in action at a difficult angle? Or even as you said used a different DOF.

Like I said I haven't attempted editing. I'm still a newbie and until I can compose an image in camera, what the point in me learning. In my opinion, I'd rather be out there using my camera not spending twice the amount of time on a computer, this is all part of the learning process.

You have 2 options?

Either try to compose the image in camera first

Or

Use your editing skills.. Do a few edits and post them on here then ask people which they prefer.

Is it not the easy way posting a photo anyone could take an then asking people how they would edit it cheating?

Last edited:
If you had led down and shot them head on at the top of the hill, as an example, would that not have been a better shot with a better background?

Hayley, how much do you know about editing?

I know nothing about editing a photo so I therefore have to think alot more before I take every photo. In this instance I would have thought more about the background. For example, I would have got the fence straight, I understand they are going uphill and that could be difficult, but was the whole field uphill? Could you have captured them in action at a difficult angle? Or even as you said used a smaller aperture.

Like I said I haven't attempted editing. I'm still a newbie and until I can compose an image in camera, what the point in me learning. In my opinion, I'd rather be out there using my camera not spending twice the amount of time on a computer, this is all part of the learning process.

You have 2 options?

Either try to compose the image in camera first

Or

Use your editing skills.. Do a few edits and post them on here then ask people which they prefer.

Is it not the easy way posting a photo anyone could take an then asking people how they would edit it cheating?

i have a decent knowledge of CS5 and i also have lightroom 4 n elements on my laptop and just play around with them when i have nothing to do so am getting quite good with the editing side haha

this whole field was either uphill or downhill, the aperture could of been smaller but I didn't want to blur the second pony. there is a couple more of these 2 on my flickr

hayley.price said:
i have a decent knowledge of CS5 and i also have lightroom 4 n elements on my laptop and just play around with them when i have nothing to do so am getting quite good with the editing side haha

this whole field was either uphill or downhill, the aperture could of been smaller but I didn't want to blur the second pony. there is a couple more of these 2 on my flickr

Id love to see what the picture looks like after editing. Will you post it on here? Like I said I don't edit yet and would love to see a before an after.

Will have a look on your flickr ;)

............., the aperture could of been smaller but I didn't want to blur the second pony.

If the aperture was smaller, then more of the picture would be in focus not the other way about. You clearly don't even understand the basics of how F stops and DoF co-relate. Perhaps photography just isn't for you.

Last edited:
If the aperture was smaller, then more of the picture would be in focus not the other way about. You clearly don't even understand the basics of how F stops and DoF co-relate. Perhaps photography just isn't for you.

Ever thought that Hayley meant a smaller number.....

Yeh but not what was said. I'm not geiitin' involved in this:shrug:

Hey, I very rarely get involved in Hayleys threads to be honest. I just thought your comment was a bit harsh considering that she could have meant a smaller number... :shrug:

Hey, I very rarely get involved in Hayleys threads to be honest. I just thought your comment was a bit harsh considering that she could have meant a smaller number... :shrug:

Well, I think all that's needed said was said on another Thread recently and ended up with a member (not a noob either) getting as good as called a Troll.

Seems to me sometimes the wrong people are addressed because of their behaviour and/or comments but this is not the Tread to continue this conversation. If you want, you can PM me.:shrug::shrug:

Yeh but not what was said. I'm not geiitin' involved in this:shrug:

Well, I think all that's needed said was said on another Thread recently and ended up with a member (not a noob either) getting as good as called a Troll.

Seems to me sometimes the wrong people are addressed because of their behaviour and/or comments but this is not the Tread to continue this conversation. If you want, you can PM me.:shrug::shrug:

firstly yes i did mean a smaller number secondly you got involved in it by commenting in the first place thirdly who did i call a troll??

i would rather people not get involved if they don't the response they might get off me either if its not ment how it sounds, rather then just have ago straight away so thank you for your comment and being on my side

i dont post my photos just to start an argument, but thats how they always seem to end up, someone always has a problem with my posts even when i haven't done anything wrong

YOU, never called anybody a Troll. It was inferred from elsewhere.

If you had led down and shot them head on at the top of the hill, as an example, would that not have been a better shot with a better background?

Did you read this and have a think Hayley?

TBH, it looks like a bit of a nice enough snap of two Shetlands doing what they do best, charging around like little hooligans :)

Without seeing the field etc its hard to say what you could have done better or not, if you'd opened up much more you'd probably loose even more focus on the back pony. Maybe you could've had a try at panning it and getting the background lost in the motion blur. :shrug:

Perhaps photography just isn't for you.

Isnt photography for anybody who is willing to learn, develop a passion and have fun? I hate, hate, hate how elite and snobby people (not aimed at you) can get. It takes the fun out of such a great thing to learn to do. Just, dont be so rude.

Yeh. OK then!!

Sorry if I myself sounded a bit off in the first post I made. It just angered me slightly and I didnt mean to come across as rude also. Lets enjoy it and decided for ourselves whether photography is for us, :)

TBH, it looks like a bit of a nice enough snap of two Shetlands doing what they do best, charging around like little hooligans :)

Without seeing the field etc its hard to say what you could have done better or not, if you'd opened up much more you'd probably loose even more focus on the back pony. Maybe you could've had a try at panning it and getting the background lost in the motion blur. :shrug:

i didnt actualy think about motion bluring it thanks for that ill keep that in mind next time

Looks like a nice enough shot of the horses in action to me.

I don't know the history but it seems Hayley is getting a raw deal here. And Brash's (no real name?) comment was totally out of order. Wisecracks like that which belittle the OP don't make you look big or clever.

Perhaps a bit of reading before making your opinion public may have helped. Passing judgement, whilst having no knowledge, does not make you big nor clever either.

Here we go again.

Couple of things to think about.

When Hayley arrived here initially her attitude wasn't good. She was defensive, arrogant, petulant, and probably a few more "ants" as well. I think she'll probably look back at her early days and agree with that.

However, she's wound her neck in, is taking criticism on board and appears to genuinely be making an effort to improve her photography. Bearing that in mind it would reflect well on the forum if the more advanced and senior members would take the time to actually help someone who's turned around rather than continuing to try to wind her up.

Is she perfect? No. But then again, none of us are.

Perhaps a bit of reading before making your opinion public may have helped. Passing judgement, whilst having no knowledge, does not make you big nor clever either.

I'm standing up for someone who is clearly being picked on. And to say "perhaps photography isn't for you" on a photography forum is without doubt very unkind. You can't argue with that.

So my previous post may not be big or clever but I stand by it. And I stand by it because it's right. If you want to defend such nastiness go right ahead, I know which side of the argument I'd rather be on.

Have you actually researched the topic you are discussing?

Thought not, enjoy your view from up there.

I'm with Uncle Dod on this - and totally against Uncle Ade this time!

Hayley, here's a suggestion. One day, leave your neddies for the day, and come and join a TP trip. You'll learn a load about photography but more than that, you'll meet people and they'll meet you and they'll be your friends on the forum!

Since you're in Baldock, I'd suggest either a London trip or one of Uncle Cobra's days at Whipsnade Zoo.

It's desperately uncool! You'll discover nearly all TP members are shaven-headed middle-aged men, :p - but it won't half help you enjoy your camera more!

Yours baldingly,

Uncle Jonathan

I'm with Uncle Dod on this - and totally against Uncle Ade this time!

Hayley, here's a suggestion. One day, leave your neddies for the day, and come and join a TP trip. You'll learn a load about photography but more than that, you'll meet people and they'll meet you and they'll be your friends on the forum!

Since you're in Baldock, I'd suggest either a London trip or one of Uncle Cobra's days at Whipsnade Zoo.

It's desperately uncool! You'll discover nearly all TP members are shaven-headed middle-aged men, :p - but it won't half help you enjoy your camera more!

Yours baldingly,

Uncle Jonathan

I take issue with that, I'm far from Bald :D though cannot help but agree (y) come join us on a meet, they're always a lot of fun (y)

Guys,
Dod has already ask you to play nice.
This is a last warning before a little winter gardening leave is handed out.
Thank you all (y)

Yours baldingly,

Uncle Jonathan

:LOL::LOL::LOL:
How cruel
(And to damned close to the truth to be comfortable for some of us :()
:D

Yours baldingly,

Uncle Jonathan

I'll enjoy my camera even more if i'm bald? and become a man!!! :eek::D

Have you actually researched the topic you are discussing?

Thought not, enjoy your view from up there.

What Topic? It's all in the thread. Brash was nasty, I called him up on it and you came running to his defence. And now you won't let it lie. I am surprised and disappointed that the mods feel it's ok to talk to a fellow member in this way.

And Cobra. With respect, don't threaten me with suspension (or whatever you call it). I haven't been unkind to a fellow member and I'm not defending someone who has. If its wrong to stand up for the little guy then lock me up and bury the key.

Oops! :nuts: :bang:

:LOL:

:nono: No, not worth it unless you're really desperate to blend into the crowd at a TP meet! ;) :D

:LOL::LOL::LOL: I'll just hide the hair as not to make the baldies jealous!

( hopes a sense of humour is in tact when read!:D)

And Cobra. With respect, don't threaten me with suspension (or whatever you call it). I haven't been unkind to a fellow member and I'm not defending someone who has. If its wrong to stand up for the little guy then lock me up and bury the key.
Ryan, I'm sorry if you feel threatened, however, I mentioned no names.
Dod has already posted a play nice, some don't seem to have taken the hint.
I posted a re-itteration...

Back