Shooting in the rain

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
Yes
Something I've never done before, and always wanted to do. Decided to go to Brands today, I imagine it might be a bit quieter than normal so I think it'd be a good opportunity for practise.

Now, the rain forecasted is looking pretty serious, and other than my coat I have nothing other than an umbrella to protect myself or my gear.

What would be recommended to use in the the case of some pretty serious rain? I thought about an umbrella and then immediately thought how awkward it would be!

If you got an old rain coat cut the arm off and use that. That's what I used to cover my 70-200.
For my 100-400 though I got one from these guys: http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/retail/acatalog/index.html

I know a few people on here have used carrier bags and chamois leather.

Ps Take your brolly with you as on the gp circuit there's hardly anywhere for shelter as I found out earlier in the year and almost drowned it rained so much :LOL:

Hundreds or even thousands of pounds for camera equipment.. and the advice is carrier bags or cut up coat arms? get a proper rain cover.. not all that expensive ...

Problem is I hadn't really thought about it until now and I'm leaving in about 30 mins! Raincoat idea could work, not too sure how well it'd do on the body though?

Hundreds or even thousands of pounds for camera equipment.. and the advice is carrier bags or cut up coat arms? get a proper rain cover.. not all that expensive ...

What would be the difference between a rain coat and a a rain cover, they both do the same thing, to keep the rain off, even after torrential rain the rain seeps through on both the rain coat idea and rain cover

Problem is I hadn't really thought about it until now and I'm leaving in about 30 mins! Raincoat idea could work, not too sure how well it'd do on the body though?

If you hold the end where it covers so you can Only see through the viewfinder and you should be fine Bill. My 20d and 70-200 f4 till working well after being in a few rain showers.
It's just luck at times though as some people have used proper rain covers and there body's died and others have used bags and had no problems.

You ask this..

What would be the difference between a rain coat and a a rain cover,

then you say this

If you hold the end where it covers so you can Only see through the viewfinder and you should be fine Bill.

but you cant figure out the difference? :)

get a proper rain cover that does a proper job.. covers the camera as well.. and your hands and arms... even flash can be used under a proper one.. love to see someone using a flash through the arm of a coat.... and how many coat arms do you need to cut up to keep the camera body and your hands dry all at same time?

oh and your less liely to look like a complete loon pointing the arm of a coat at soemone :) :) :)

30 mins notice then arms will do... for future would go for proper cover :)

Op/tech cover ordered and raincoat cut up, should be sufficient for today, forecast is improving anyway.

Cheers guys! :)

I use optech rain sleves for the camera, and good (high vis) wet weather gear, including a decent hat, for myself.
Forget umbrellas if you are shooting trackside.

I know a guy who uses a cut off raincoat sleve without any problems.
A large plastic bag and a few rubber bands is ok in a pinch, like the guy in this pic.
Be sure to use a lens hood. A "protection" filter on the front of the lens also helps when shooting in head-on driving rain or spray from the cars.

IMG_1033 by dicktay2000, on Flickr

Last edited:
You ask this..

then you say this

but you cant figure out the difference? :)

get a proper rain cover that does a proper job.. covers the camera as well.. and your hands and arms... even flash can be used under a proper one.. love to see someone using a flash through the arm of a coat.... and how many coat arms do you need to cut up to keep the camera body and your hands dry all at same time?

oh and your less liely to look like a complete loon pointing the arm of a coat at soemone :) :) :)

Even on my proper rain cover that I've bought from the link above I have to hold the end where the camera as that part is completely open the same as my coat arm idea.

I wear gloves to keep my hands dry, I don't put my hands in the rain cover as soon as you have to take your hands out to do something, they get wet and then you're putting wet hands on the body/lens?

You only need one arm for something small like a 70-200 which doesn't extend like a 100-400, that why I bought a rain cover for that one.

It just looks like a rain cover anyway as people don't relise it was a sleeve until you say so. It's not like its a kids coat with ducks then you would look like a loon :)

I modified a heavy duty binbag with duct tape and elastic bands - it looks rubbish (who cares), it works amazingly well and I didn't have to spend £60+ on what is essentially the arm of a cagoule with drawstrings at each end. I shoot motorsport with longish lenses, so have, nor will ever, require flash functionality from the RefuseraincoverGT. :D

I have been known to sit in a folding chair (obviously only useful on circuits where you can see over fencing while sat down) and put an umbrella inside my jacket for hands free coverage, when there is little wind it keeps you and the camera dry.

Get a proper rain cover, something like the Hydrophobia from ThinkTank - outstanding craftsmanship, and completely seals the camera, lens and flash (if you should so with) from the rain with holes for hands at every angle required.

I've had a Storm Jacket for probably around 8 years now, still looks brand new despite some truly terrible conditions. I don't personally like the ones with arms etc to mess around with, this just slips on in a second, job done.

This is a favourite of mine, could barely see the cars by this point, I think I was pretty much the only person left shooting...

Castle Combe Rallyday 2011 by Harry_S, on Flickr

Last edited:

Thats fine if you shoot a lot in the wet, but most people don't, so the cheaper options are ok for occasional use.

Best tip I ever had was to dump the custom rain cover for a chamois from halfords.
It's a hundred times less of a PITA and you can keep wiping the glass with it too.

When I worked for the press we just used old tea towels (same idea)

I've just brought a rain Jacket off ebay ready for bank holiday weekedn as I'm attended a mini show and last year it pured down not a problem with a my old point and shoot abut now I have a decent camera I decided to invest in on I ordered the tpye with space for a Flash and got the ones for with out flash. Luckily the seller was honest and sent me out the right ones so now I'm ready although I hope I don't need them. THey were expenisive either about £6.50 for 2 (well 4 acutlally)

I've only shot in the rain once. I did the Historic Festival at Brands a few years back and decided against going to any more rainy meetings! I'd already ordered the ticket when the weather forecast turned sour.

If I get accredited at some point in the future, I'm not going to have the option of staying at home so rain gear is probably something I should be thinking about getting...

Yep agree a decent rain cover from ebay is not that expensive:)
I just put on a rain cover and carry on :clap:
most important thing is not to leave your damp gear in the bag when you get home but take it out and let it dry

I'm a beginner and so was caught unawares when the clouds ominiously appeared at my running club's fell race (not relevant to motorsport but the experience in this thread struck a chord) - I'd offered to do some pictures for the in house magazine. Being a newbie, I'd thought of everything except rain. I mean, what are the chances of rain in England at this time of year :wacky:

Carrier bags and elastic bags were the only option, and as I was improvising I hadn't thought of how I could zoom once I'd over-bagged the lens. Result: mega cropping.

Results were grainy and overprocessed (heavy handed on the old vignette to try to mask some of the horror), but still a good way to remember what turned out to be a very grim evening.

It was alright for the runners, they got back quick - I had to walk back! All these gadgets and I never thought of rain :wacky:

DSC_0160.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of great oportunities when shooting in the rain, beside sometimes you may have a location to yourself. Maybe I havn't been doing it long enough to get over the pics of the spray comming off open wheelers and the steam off exhaust pipes etc. I must admit when it gets cold at the same time it can be a bit miserable.

Back