Shooting sand racing.... am I nuts?

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All
I have the chance to shoot some solos, sidecars and quads sand racing, trackside, on a beach.
Do I need my bumps feeling, with all the sand, salt and water that could/would be flying around?
Anyone have experience of having done this sport before?
TIA

I've never done that but I have changed lenses on the beach in any and all weather including weather I could hardly stand up in. Once it was so windy my screen protector blew off while I was trying to take a picture.

So, I think you'll live :D

If you're worried, you can always put your camera in a plastic bag with a tight fitting hole at the back for the viewfinder and a UV filter on the lens.

Or you can just carry on as normal. That's what I do when recording sports activities on sand...

Playing volleyball on Exmouth beach P1010065.JPG

If its windy a camera rain cape thingy my help keep off the worst. I have seen a nikon killed by fine sand after 2 days of shooting bikes.

To be fair it was that very fine powdery sand more like talcum powder and we were covered in the stuff, I actually did the Clint Eastwood bit of banging the dust off me at the end of the day, and my old canon survived fine (it did have to be cleaned though) I've taken canons and nikons on normal beaches lots of times without issues, but I would be wary if it's blowing a lot and no way do I change lens there.

I've shot at Weston's beach race and the problem there is more the wet sand than the dry. dusty stuff! I just used a large polythene bag and some insulating tape along with a UV filter. Did only leave me with 38 shots though - no way was I changing film with cold, wet hands!!!

As others had said - I'd take steps to protect the camera, including a filter on the front that could possible be classed as sacrificial and making sure that as many possibly sand entry routes are closed off. That protection may well assist with sea spray as well.

I'd jump at the chance. Some great photos to be had. I'd go with the camera in the bag with a UV filter too. I've done that shooting in terrible weather and the humble carrier bag can make a very effective protector for you kit. I tend to put a smal cut in the bottom and then put the lens through so the carrier bag grips the hood of the lens. a wee bit tape and then you have plenty protection and room for your hands inside the bag. Tie the handles together and then another wee cut so you can see the viewfinder.

For protection when shooting low down on a beach I used an optech rain sleeve and electrical tape to seal it inside. Just remember if you’re using a fast long lens the hood may have a gap around it and not seal completely. Electrical tape on the lens behind the hood soon seals it.

Last edited:
Another option is to wait until the noise has stopped and the spectators have left. Then record the evidence... :naughty:

0105 Wheel tracks on Filey Beach Yorkshire Leica M3 022_19.JPG

Back