Shots from Cornwall

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Was only there for about 2 hours before sunset the first night and had to be on the road by 7am the next morning... still time to catch a sunrise though! Unfortunately my satnav couldn't lock onto a signal so I had to close my eyes and guess which way to drive to a beach... I ended up facing south instead of east, so barely got any colour. :(

251530_10150622181845691_853450690_19167228_5013427_n.jpg

246836_10150622182140691_853450690_19167232_3807487_n.jpg

251029_10150622182595691_853450690_19167239_3884941_n.jpg

254389_10150622182905691_853450690_19167244_3413109_n.jpg

246723_10150622183330691_853450690_19167246_5712648_n.jpg

I like the simple number 3 the others seems a bit over saturated to me. But last one as nice colour as well!

Youch! No wonder you had to close your eyes - these really make mine hurt...

The trouble is, if you go for this kind of effect you lose more than you gain - these no longer look like Cornwall, or indeed anywhere else on this earth. It looks like a case of recent loss of HDR virginity. These are essentially perfectly good photographs, but you really need to go back and review the use of the saturation slider!

Hello Jon very nice set indeed makes me want to visit Cornwall (y), i also agree with Toby reference the colour boost apart from that thanks for sharing (y)

These are good, although I'm not keen on the post production you've done.

No.5 could have benefited from a slightly longer exposure (with and ND or ND grad filter) and that would have smoothed the sea out a bit.

Good photos spoilt. Try posting the originals before letting any children process them.

I like the simple number 3 the others seems a bit over saturated to me. But last one as nice colour as well!

Youch! No wonder you had to close your eyes - these really make mine hurt...

The trouble is, if you go for this kind of effect you lose more than you gain - these no longer look like Cornwall, or indeed anywhere else on this earth. It looks like a case of recent loss of HDR virginity. These are essentially perfectly good photographs, but you really need to go back and review the use of the saturation slider!

Hello Jon very nice set indeed makes me want to visit Cornwall (y), i also agree with Toby reference the colour boost apart from that thanks for sharing (y)

These are good, although I'm not keen on the post production you've done.

No.5 could have benefited from a slightly longer exposure (with and ND or ND grad filter) and that would have smoothed the sea out a bit.

yep they are essential decent photos that have been spoiled by the overcooking in HDR,. would be interested to see the normally processed images.

Like the last one, but agree with the others about the saturation

Thanks for the feedback all - I just viewed these from my work laptop and they're well over-saturated, looks like I really need to calibrate my new monitor. To be fair though even if I had calibrated it beforehand, they'd still be over-saturated... the recent loss of HDR virginity was a valid observation! Lesson learned, I'll go back to basics, and thanks again all for the critique.

Good photos spoilt. Try posting the originals before letting any children process them.

I love people like you. There's a knob in every forum, I suppose I've found the one for TP.

"I love people like you. There's a knob in every forum, I suppose I've found the one for TP."

Every reply you have had mention the fact they are over saturated, pick your toys up and listen. You have ruined good photos and you obviously believe hdr can improve them even further. My children use the word knob at school, are you in the same class.

So its a waste of time me offering you my thoughts on these then, after all I don't want to be called a knob...................

No comments on the totally OTT PP but your attitude needs as much adjusting as your imagines.

Ian

Thanks for the feedback all - I just viewed these from my work laptop and they're well over-saturated, looks like I really need to calibrate my new monitor. To be fair though even if I had calibrated it beforehand, they'd still be over-saturated... the recent loss of HDR virginity was a valid observation! Lesson learned, I'll go back to basics, and thanks again all for the critique.

I love people like you. There's a knob in every forum, I suppose I've found the one for TP.

You come back like this and you will get no C & C to me they are over saturated as well May be you have not got a calibrated monitor?
Check it with a test chart like this one where the colours should look spot on and also see every tone in the grey scale as I can with my calibrated monitor.
Reference%20Print%20printer%202362x3543pixel.jpg

Last edited:

I like the images with the exception of they being over cooked - but we all have to start somewhere

the composition is good - keep at it I say - just tone down the PP a tad

Les (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
So its a waste of time me offering you my thoughts on these then, after all I don't want to be called a knob...................

No comments on the totally OTT PP but your attitude needs as much adjusting as your imagines.

Ian

I think my comments were misunderstood - I replied first to everyone who posted to say thanks for the feedback and I'll take it on board. I replied second (the knob part) to the poster who just called me a child.

I'll happily take criticism and critique all day long, and I have no problem someone even saying the shot is garbage. But someone calling me a child because my PP was crap? No thanks.

In summary - critique all you want, please!

At the risk of being insulted I like the shots but the PP is a bit grim.

Andy

Same as above:

I think my comments were misunderstood - I replied first to everyone who posted to say thanks for the feedback and I'll take it on board. I replied second (the knob part) to the poster who just called me a child.

I'll happily take criticism and critique all day long, and I have no problem someone even saying the shot is garbage. But someone calling me a child because my PP was crap? No thanks.

Jon, this is a photo-critique and sharing forum. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Same as above:

In summary - critique all you want, please! - I can take the heat, but I'm not having someone calling me names over the internet.

You come back like this and you will get no C & C to me they are over saturated as well May be you have not got a calibrated monitor?
Check it with a test chart like this one where the colours should look spot on and also see every tone in the grey scale as I can with my calibrated monitor.
Reference%20Print%20printer%202362x3543pixel.jpg

*ALSO* Thanks very much for the test chart, that'll be a huge help getting calibrated.

I like the images with the exception of they being over cooked - but we all have to start somewhere

the composition is good - keep at it I say - just tone down the PP a tad

Les (y)

Thanks for that Les, much appreciated!

I have looked at the image and wonder if your are saving them in the wrong colour space?
Here is one which I worked on saved in sRGB and you can see now what a small adjustment will do.
my copy first
5795775931_918572133b_o.jpg
original >
251530_10150622181845691_853450690_19167228_5013427_n.jpg

That's a massive difference, thanks for taking the time to compare. I'll adjust my settings in PS. sRGB is best for screen images?

"I love people like you. There's a knob in every forum, I suppose I've found the one for TP."

Every reply you have had mention the fact they are over saturated, pick your toys up and listen. You have ruined good photos and you obviously believe hdr can improve them even further. My children use the word knob at school, are you in the same class.

I did listen to the people who replied that they were well over-saturated, and I replied to them quite nicely.

My reply to you was separate, because you were the only person who felt it appropriate to call me a child because you didn't like the PP.

Obviously I believed HDR could improve them further, but having read the comments of people who are much better at this than I am I can see it just ruined some decent shots.

Incidentally, you missed a question mark off your last sentence.

Same as above:

Same as above:

In summary - critique all you want, please! - I can take the heat, but I'm not having someone calling me names over the internet.

*ALSO* Thanks very much for the test chart, that'll be a huge help getting calibrated.

Thanks for that Les, much appreciated!

That's a massive difference, thanks for taking the time to compare. I'll adjust my settings in PS. sRGB is best for screen images?

Yes you need sRGB for the web as not all browser will show some of the other colour spaces correct, some will but some not.
As for the colour chart you can adjust manually to get as near as you can, often the screen is too bright make sure you can see all the 20 tones, but the best way is to get a calibration took.

I did listen to the people who replied that they were well over-saturated, and I replied to them quite nicely.

My reply to you was separate, because you were the only person who felt it appropriate to call me a child because you didn't like the PP.

Obviously I believed HDR could improve them further, but having read the comments of people who are much better at this than I am I can see it just ruined some decent shots.

Incidentally, you missed a question mark off your last sentence.

:dummy:
You have still got a few toys left lying on the floor, if you pick those up i will respond with a different critique. I left the critique that i saw fit, if you want me to leave critique that does not hurt your feelings forget it or post good photos. I understand you want to try hdr perhaps try posting one photo at a time instead of overloading with poor quality processing.

!"£$%^&*()_+/*-+<>?:;@'~#{[}]
Hopefully you can choose one of the above characters to end my last sentence.

I think your comments are Unnecessary. when someone post their photos, it should be done with hope to learn, your post did not do anything to help.
A critic is anyone who expresses a value judgement.
I would also point out that you have started only 5 post since 25-02-2007 and non have been showing your work.

I think your comments are Unnecessary. when someone post their photos, it should be done with hope to learn, your post did not do anything to help.
I would also point out that you have started only 5 post since 25-02-2007 and non have been showing your work.

Hi Chaz, when i became a member is not important, the fact that i have not posted any pics is not important. If you have looked at the posts i have made you will see that i give credit where i personally think it's due. I know what i like when i go on a shoot, and i delete what i don't like. Consequently i will not be posting pics on this site because i do not require critique on the pics i keep. I post my opinion of the pic i see in front of me.
I am going to move on from here and i will take into account peoples feelings in the future.
(y)

Yes you need sRGB for the web as not all browser will show some of the other colour spaces correct, some will but some not.
As for the colour chart you can adjust manually to get as near as you can, often the screen is too bright make sure you can see all the 20 tones, but the best way is to get a calibration took.

Thanks for this - I just ordered a Pantone Huey, so hopefully that'll help me see my overzealousness with the saturation slider a bit more quickly!

Jon, my apologies for snapping back. I suspect that along with several I didn't see your earlier qualifying comment, only the one at the bottom!

No worries, I can see how the main reply got lost in the mix - thanks for that though. (y)

Cheers for that.

Unfortunately these are good photos spoilt by overdoing the processing. Is it possible to see the original shots as i think they would be just fine.

Hi Chaz, when i became a member is not important, the fact that i have not posted any pics is not important. If you have looked at the posts i have made you will see that i give credit where i personally think it's due. I know what i like when i go on a shoot, and i delete what i don't like. Consequently i will not be posting pics on this site because i do not require critique on the pics i keep. I post my opinion of the pic i see in front of me.
I am going to move on from here and i will take into account peoples feelings in the future.
(y)

I have seen some of your image and have to say they then are in need of PP if you like me to show you how far out they are I post one here if you allow it.
Or may be you just like to not let other see....

Hi, Jon, just on #1, I feel there's 2 separate photographs there. If you split down the middle between the red and black boats, two interesting photographs.

Also, your horizons are all central, unless that's what your after?

Cheers.

I have seen some of your image and have to say they then are in need of PP if you like me to show you how far out they are I post one here if you allow it.
Or may be you just like to not let other see....

Chaz, i'm not sure where you are going with this but i assume you have looked at my flickr page. One of the canal images was used in a local magazine in Bath. Please check the date i last uploaded a pic to flickr because that was the last time i publicly displayed any pics. If you wish to pp any of them then please fill your boots. As far as i can remember the pics are all straight from the camera. I will be interested to see what ammount of pp you do just to get a pic worth displaying.(y)

There's a knob in every forum, I suppose I've found the one for TP.

Well you've found one of em! :LOL:

Just tone down the HDR Jon so they look more natural, good efforts for a HDR newbie though!

Hi, Jon, just on #1, I feel there's 2 separate photographs there. If you split down the middle between the red and black boats, two interesting photographs.

Also, your horizons are all central, unless that's what your after?

Cheers.

That's a really good idea about 2 separate photographs in #1, thanks for that.

To be honest, I wasn't paying anywhere enough attention to my positioning of the horizon, which is very lazy of me - thanks for pointing that out, I'll remember it next time I'm out!

Well you've found one of em! :LOL:

Just tone down the HDR Jon so they look more natural, good efforts for a HDR newbie though!

Thanks very much - the saturation bar will be down much lower moving forward!

Back