Should I make a fuss?

Edit My Images
No
I recently bought a used 40d from a reputable chap on another forum. this was headlined as having a "low shutter count", he confirmed it as about 7500.

On checking with eosinfo, the true count is 17500, the seller is pleading ignorance. now the camera is fine and i understand caveat emptor but one of the deciding factors in buying was the low usage. i suppose its a bit like buying a clocked car. but i have two questions:
1) what would you do in this situation?
2) should i be worried about the long term life of this camera?

thanks for any comments

Ultimately, what end result would you like from this?

Knowingly or not, the seller has mis-sold the item by giving duff information. If he didn't know how to ascertain the exact shutter count, he should have just said 'I don't know', or sought advice as to how to go about it - it sounds likehe just took a punt.

What life expectancy does the camera have in terms of shutter count? 20k? 100k? 200k? Has the difference in shutter count meant that the camera now has a significantly shorter lifespan in your hands, therefore would have been worth less than the price you paid?

If you feel you've really been done, insist he either return your money in full and you return the camera, or possibly a partial refund if he'd agree.

If it has no great bearing on the camera's remaining lifespan in your hands, I'd just move on.

If you're happy with the camera ask him for some money back.

Perhaps he was just taking the file number from his jpegs and has in fact been shooting in raw as well consequently doubling the actual count

Anyway should be fine and not much to be done now, think yourself lucky it isn't a 5D which from recent threads seems lucky to get 6000 clicks

Or maybe I am just talking a load of old cobblers

thanks for putting this in perspective guys, its just a bit disappointing but not the end of the world. in all other respects, i'm happy with the camera, paid a reasonable price and look forward to using it.

but it should never have been advertised as low use (7500) if the guy wasn't sure how to check. he is the original owner so should have had a good idea based on his image numbers.
another life lesson learnt (although i'm not sure which one)

just seen the post on raw+jpeg, would this cause the shutter to fire twice?

It might not be an accurate count in terms of images saved but it's still low usage, even at 17500. As was mentioned, do you whether you're looking shutter or file count? They can be wildly different.

1) id ask for some money back

2) the shutter count to some people is irrelevant, to me its relevant to the cost id pay for the body and it sounds to me like the low shutter count was an attraction to you and
therefore as much as people say oh its irrelevant i think its fully relevant, otherwise why do people advertise low shutter counts?

well he did throw in 4 batteries, a 2g card and a large textbook on the 40d so i feel a bit cheeky seeking redress

As others have said - maybe you can offer him two options - one being a complete refund, as it's not as advertised (assuming you've not added loads of shutter count yourself - and the sale was very recent) or alternatively ask for a small percentage contribution to compensate for the difference in count.. If it had been 7500 - would you find another for the price you paid?

I recently bought a used 40d from a reputable chap on another forum. this was headlined as having a "low shutter count", he confirmed it as about 7500.

On checking with eosinfo, the true count is 17500, the seller is pleading ignorance. now the camera is fine and i understand caveat emptor but one of the deciding factors in buying was the low usage. i suppose its a bit like buying a clocked car. but i have two questions:
1) what would you do in this situation?
2) should i be worried about the long term life of this camera?

thanks for any comments
Do you mind if i ask how much you paid for it? I will probably be selling mine soon with battery grip as i want to buy a 5D MARKII. I too would throw in memory card and possibly a 50mm f/1.8.My shutter count is just over 14,000.I used a small program from the web to find it out.Not sure how accurate it is though.

I'd leave it go as Whitey said as it's probably not worth the hassle...:)

Wouldn't worry too much, my 400D is up to 80k now :) All still fine and dandy.

Easy mistake to make, I thought for ages it had done <10k, until I realised why the folder name on the cf card was 107 :)

camera don't explode after a certain amount of shots, completely irrelevant.

In the old film days folks shot with the same camera for 20 years and no one bothered about actuations - this IMHO is one of the most pointlessly anal things anyone can worry about. Pointless to ask about it, pointless to fret over it.

Just enjoy the camera!

My thought would to enjoy the camera if you feel that it was a reasonable price. sometime when you try to retrieve some money back it costs you some more to get the end result.

Echoing the other comments, I doubt the sale price would have been much, if any, different if advertised at 17k vs 7k TBH.

IMO 17k is still pretty low use on a 40D

It's a fine camera and if the body condition is mint it will still feel like new - so enjoy it!

Yes, annoying but it's not like buying a car that's done 10k more than you thought. I'm guessing that most DSLRs are obsolete and worth very little/sitting in a cupboard long before their shutters fail, so I'd just forget about it and see if you can get the shutter count up into 6 figures...

Best

Richard

It's annoying to be misled, even if unintentionally, but the fact is that 17.5K is still low for a 40D which is estimated at 100K actuations.

I'd forget it and enjoy the camera.

Back