Show and tell: Your Wordpress powered photo sites

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
I've never been happy with mine, so I'm looking to sort it out. However I'm getting increasingly frustrated with crap plugins, themes and the sheer amount of half-arsed programming that comes with working with them. So, please inspire me! Show your site and tell us how it's done, then just maybe all of us in this situation can save some time and effort for the future!

Hi Alan
My new one is http://landscapephotographer.org.uk/. It uses a bought theme as I couldn't be bothered to build one this time. I also wanted to have a more gallery/portfolio based approach. The theme is called photome from themeforest. It is also woocommerce ready so I can add a shop as and when.

Plugins used:
  • Akismet
  • Contact Form 7
  • Google Analytics Dashboard for WP
  • Photo Me Theme Custom Post Type
  • Really Simple CAPTCHA
  • Revolution Slider
  • Shareaholic
  • WP Super Cache
  • Yoast SEO
My old site is http://www.devon-photography.com/ I built it myself and have never been that happy with it, it uses similar plugins. I am going to rebuid it soon.

Hi Alan
My new one is http://landscapephotographer.org.uk/. It uses a bought theme as I couldn't be bothered to build one this time. I also wanted to have a more gallery/portfolio based approach. The theme is called photome from themeforest. It is also woocommerce ready so I can add a shop as and when.

Plugins used:
  • Akismet
  • Contact Form 7
  • Google Analytics Dashboard for WP
  • Photo Me Theme Custom Post Type
  • Really Simple CAPTCHA
  • Revolution Slider
  • Shareaholic
  • WP Super Cache
  • Yoast SEO
My old site is http://www.devon-photography.com/ I built it myself and have never been that happy with it, it uses similar plugins. I am going to rebuid it soon.

I like that, simple & effective - tell me is it possible to put links into the lightbox captions? i.e. to direct to buy a print.

www.njw-images.co.uk

Mine's a bought theme from themeforest. I got sick of the free ones as they were a nightmare to work with. This ones got full support and looks great.

Can't remember what plugins I have, I know I have woocommerce for the prints side of things.

:)

Not a fan of the theme myself but I do like the way it displays products from woocommerce - I take it that's just standard theme functionality?

I bit the bullet and bought West Pro. It uses Live Composer with a gallery plugin to handle the gallery display and Woocommerce to handle the prints. the framework is in place just need to flesh it out now. http://test.quarryscapes.co.uk

Why .org.uk?

The .org.uk domain is reserved for charities/non-profit organisations.

No it's not. It's often used my them but anyone can register and use one for any purpose.

Infact the .me.uk and .ltd.uk are the only ones with restrictions on registration, where they can only be registered to a person, or the corresponding company, respectively.

Last edited:
This is one I run but it needs some fresh input. It's quite useful being able to link to a Flickr group for a slide show but so many people only seem to use F***book these days.

fbhh.org.uk

Last edited:
No it's not. It's often used my them but anyone can register and use one for any purpose.

Infact the .me.uk and .ltd.uk are the only ones with restrictions on registration, where they can only be registered to a person, or the corresponding company, respectively.
OK well it's not restricted but it is intended for non-profit organisation. There's the potential to mislead people into thinking you're a charity and I can't think of a good reason to use .org.uk for a photography business when there are so many alternative domains available including some new ones that are specifically for photography.

From Nominet: "Everything third sector lives here online. Proudly non-commercial, .org.uk is the online space for your charity, community group, public service or not-for-profit organisation."

OK well it's not restricted but it is intended for non-profit organisation. There's the potential to mislead people into thinking you're a charity and I can't think of a good reason to use .org.uk for a photography business when there are so many alternative domains available including some new ones that are specifically for photography.

Most 'unintended' use of .org.uk comes from a few years ago when Google gave priority in the search engines to exact match domains. People set them all up as their websites addresses and company names hoping to get a boost in the Google results. Now that's not the case but people are still stuck with them (some may like them) and can't be bothered with all the expense and hassle that goes with rebranding.

Last edited:
Most 'unintended' use of .org.uk comes from a few years ago when Google gave priority in the search engines to exact match domains. People set them all up as their websites addresses and company names hoping to get a boost in the Google results. Now that's not the case but people are still stuck with them (some may like them) and can't be bothered with all the expense and hassle that goes with rebranding.
Yes that may be true and I wouldn't put it past a lot of photographers as I've seen some very strange attempts to fool the search engines in the past.

Correct here is a typical example of it ... Its a site I built about 15 years ago http://royal-signals.org.uk/main/
From what I can see your site is using the domain correctly because it's a community orientated not for profit site. It clearly mentions that it's free on the home page and isn't misleading.

The reason for my comments were photographers running websites selling photos or services for profit and using a misleading domain name. The domain can be registered by anyone in the same way a charity can be registered or community group can be setup but just because it's available without restriction doesn't mean that it can be used for anything.

Hi guys
.org.uk domains aren't restricted so I am not breaking any rules. It was done for SEO purposes as an experiment while I source a better domain, which I will then re-direct it to. As someone who works in the internet marketing industry I can assure you that while the benefit was reduced, there still is a benefit to exact or partial match domain names. My name is also too long for namephotography.com, and too awkward to spell. It was part of clearly identifying myself as a landscape photographer without being region specific.

I also own landscape-photographer.uk which I may move it to when/if I can be bothered. Unfortunately a good domain name isn't easy to come by nowadays as people already own them, or buy them for profit.

I just thought that I would give feedback.

Dave

Back